Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

winch for trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a ramsey 8000 and remote control from northern. I did make them price match the remote, as they wanted 2x what I could get it for online.

Anyway, I mounted it up on the top crossbar of my gooseneck, and at a slight down angle.

This ensures the cable won't rub against the fairlead all the time. It also all but eliminates the cable rubbing into the deck at the break for the dovetail section of my trailer. I also allows me to open the bedbox on the deck when the cable is out without any problems.

Remote was needed as the cable that came with it is way too short to be in a rig steering while you winch it on.

I have an old across the bed toolbox mounted on the deck up front, and in it is the 2 batteries that power the winch.

It works very well, but the ramsey winch is slow.

I got a neoprene cover for the winch to keep the rain off it. It all works very well, and makes loading a dead vehicle onto the trailer very easy.

I have yet to have any issue with the battery charge, and for now, I just charge them every now and then if needed. plans are in the works to run a seperate cable to charge them when going down the road, and once that is complete, the small 12v battery for the trailer brakes will go away and these will be used as well for that.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive got a 3000lb winch on my trailer deck, and it pulled a chevy dually in park (no wheel spin, dragging tires) up on the deck w/one ******, no problem.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:16 AM

What I did was get a winch fron harbor frieght. I got thier own brand which is actually made by some one else. I mounted it to the trailer tounge and used a deep cycle marine battery to run it. You can get quite a few pulls before you need to recharge it. I used this quite often at one time because my son and I used to repo cars. I used it for volantary repos and moving dealers broken down or wrecked cars. Every few days I just put ithe battery on a trickle charge over night and it never let me down or gave any problem.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:09 AM

I also have been winch, or is it witch hunting, lol. I have reached the same dilema. Which winch?? I have found a few ramseys and mile marker units at northern tool. Also I have seen a few chicago electric brand winches at harbor freight at the best prices so far, but I question their quality and durability.

All of these winches so far are rated between 3500 and 8000lbs single line pull, and less than $450.00.

The mile marker unit appears to be pretty decent from what I have read.

Maybe a few other members can chime in and seperate the good and the bad experiences with some of the cheaper winches.