Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

winch for trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
winch for trailer

any recommendations on a good 6000-8000lbs winch for my 20' deck over trailer, ill be using it to pull my truck to the sled pulls, and if I ever break something im gonna need a way to winch it on the trailer.

i was thinking that if I wire it up for the old mans truck then if i use another truck the winch wont have power...so I was thinking of mounting a deep cycle battery on the trailer, and wire it to that then use a set of jumper cables from the trailer battery to the truck battery, or another running truck to provide the power. will that work?
Old 03-16-2007, 06:29 AM

Here is what I did. I bought a Ramsey 8,000# winch, which slides into my rear receiver on the 3500 - plugs into pre-wired harness (quik connect plug supplied by Ramsey) which goes directly to truck battery.

I hook up the goose (of course the rear receiver is empty). When I need to winch, I slide the winch in and plug her in. I use a ****** block suspended from the frame above the rear of the truck (right over the gap you can walk through under the trailer neck), then run the cable straight down the bed. Works like a charm. I never drive with the winch in place.

This set up:
(1) Protects the winch from weather and theft
(2) Removed need to mount the winch, taking up space on trailer
(3) Removed need to have a battery set-up for winch on trailer

Most rigs that run a gooseneck have the receiver available. Don't know if your deck over is a receiver pull or a goose. If not a goose, this set up won't work (obviously...), but thought I'd share the idea,
Old 03-16-2007, 08:14 AM

isnt there a pin in the 7 pin connector for a 12v charge to a battery on the trailer?? just wire it in there to keep it fresh. or the long quick disconnects.. ive been looking at the summit winches for trailer use as they are like 499.00 for the 8k one....
Old 03-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Banned

its a pintle hook trailer, so the hitch wont be open, but my neighbor is a welder and can fab up anything we need to make a slide in receiver on the trailer to put the winch in when needed. i just want to figure out a way to get enough power to the winch without having to buy and install quick disconnects on multiple trucks that may tow the trailer.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:14 AM
Banned

TJ, you can mount a battery on the trailer and charge it through the 7 pin trailer plug. There is a pin in the plug for charging a 12 volt electric trailer brake battery, so it should be able to keep a deep cycle charged too.

As for the winch, check out the Black Mountain winches from Collins Brothers Jeep, www.collinsbrosjeep.com ,their 8,000lb winch is on sale for $329.00 right now.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:45 AM

Here is what I made for mine trailer winch..

http://www.impaks.com/trailerbox.asp

I have pulled many carsa nd trucks onto my trailer with no issues.
My Jeep is over 5000lbs and it has no problems pulling it.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't forget that the truck doesn't need an #8000 winch to "roll" it onto a trailer. Although an #8000 winch will work less hard and last longer than a #4000 will a max output.

Anyway on my trailer I have a Warn #4500 winch and a group31 battery mounted permanetly. The battery is wired in with the breakaway battery and gets charged when the trailer is hooked up and the truck is running. For me it was easier to mount a battery on the trailer than it was to run heavy cable and put quick disconnects on the truck. Also this way it doesn't matter what truck the trailer is hooked to it will work.

Since its just a trailer winch any winch #3500 or better will suffice. I have a ****** block for offroading that I could use if the load was too heavy for the #4500 but have yet to use it. My trailer is an H&H tilt deck so the angle is pretty steep that its pulling up.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Banned

also understand that my trailer is a deck over equipment trailer and the ramps are at about a 45* angle...pretty steep, but i guess a 5k winch with ****** block should work
Old 03-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Banned

bruiser, did you buy that box and modify it or build the whole thing?
Old 03-16-2007, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
also understand that my trailer is a deck over equipment trailer and the ramps are at about a 45* angle...pretty steep, but i guess a 5k winch with ****** block should work

Get the biggest winch you want to afford! The 4500 on my trailer struggles to pull an auto up.
Remember the winch only has rated line pull on the 1st wrap nearest the spool! The 2nd and 3rd and 4th are progressively less. So with 80 ft of cable and on the last wrap the 4500 only pulls about 1/4 it's rating. That's not enough to roll an auto up a 45 sloop.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
bruiser, did you buy that box and modify it or build the whole thing?
I found the box at Northern on one of there clearance sale days,
then I cut the front and TIG welded and bolted hinge on.. works great and keeps it out of the weather.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
A 5k will pull it easily unless the tires are flat. Don't forget that if your truck weighs 8K an 8k winch would (just barely) lift it off completly off the ground. Alo you are doing it rolling it onto a trailer deck up some ramps, unless the tires are flat the rolling resistance is very low. My buddy uses a 2500ATV winch to roll cars onto his H&H tilt deck.

Why do you have 80ft of cable on a trailer winch? If you pull 40 ft off, the winch will work better and the cable will be less likely to bind up. Unless its on a quick hitch to go on your truck.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:34 PM

Don't know about trailer winches, but you can get a boat trailer powerwinch brand RC30 model 4k single line, 7.5k double line and it is remote controlled, has a little light on it, comes with the pulley to double the line and I think it will be cheaper and can stand up to the weather. It doesn't power unload though so that might be an issue unless you put a driver in it to unload.

I just recently picked one up for <400 for my boat trailer cause I'm tired of cranking my boat up by hand...
Old 03-16-2007, 04:05 PM
RAF

My SAMS WHOLE SALE here in NJ has 7500lbs winch for $300.00 with fair lead, mounting plate, and is ready to use.

My friend uses his to pull a 17,000lb traction engine on to his 12ton trailer snatched only once. I think he is nuts for doing so. I will be buying one soon. If he can pull that thing up there it will suit my needs fine.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:38 PM

I went overkill and bought a 16K superwinch with wireless remote. Mounted to trailer deck using 1/4" steel plate and deep cycle battery. Charge the battery off 7 pin wiring when hooked up to truck. No problems winching 13K equipment with or with out the ****** block. Have not had any problems with low charge on battery either.

Quick Reply: winch for trailer