Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Wilderness 5th Wheel Wiring Diagram

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wilderness 5th Wheel Wiring Diagram

I've finished adding a receiver hitch to our Wilderness 5th wheel. It will be used to haul the dirt bikes and/or the portable generator on a platform. I'd like to add running and brake lights to the platform since the bikes will partially block the existing tail lights. I sent an email to Fleetwood RV to ask where the tail light wiring is located at the rear and what colors were used on the trailer. They refused to tell me because it could possibly void their warrenty. Anyone have either a wiring diagram or an electrical schematic for this trailer? Or experience with the wiring on a Wilderness? It is a 2004 Wilderness model 285RKS. In a wiring loom on the left side of the trailer I tried the old sticking a pin in a wire and checking it with a multi-meter trick while plugged into the truck to hopefully locate it but that didn't work.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:14 PM

Just crawl under the 5VR and look for the wiring bundle, usaully on the drivers side. They usaully hand wire each on with basic wire colors. You can also remove the rear taillight with the liscence plate light on it and then gently pull the wires out to see what is what. What ever you do make sure you check the wires with a multimeter prior to connecting it up to the truck. I would wire a battery up to the lights and power them that way until I was shure which wire did what.
Just my .01 worth
Good luck
Old 06-15-2004, 11:41 PM

Johnny, we have the same trailer, I looked in the manuals that came with mine and no luck on the light wire codes or such, I just did what supergewl stated and it was a breeze, Now for a suggestion, just last week I had a tire on the driver side rear blow and directly behind said tire above the bottom black cover is the main wire harness for the entire trailer, ie: the fridge,ac,power convertor and such, when tire blew it will grab the harness and pull wires that go up the side of the trailer and it is quite the chore to tear the side of the trailer down to repair the wires that is pulled loose, I spent over 10 hours doing so in a campsite last week to get the ac and fridge to working order. When I got home I bolted a 1/4 inch plate to cover up the dammaged area where the wires are,and to prevent from ever happening again, I would suggest to you to do the same, and if you have the Goodyear marathons that came stock on mine to have them looked at, as Goodyear just replaced all 5 of mine with no questions asked, which I found odd as the the other three on the ground and the spare were still in excellent shape. Just passing on some info that might help you if that certain tire ever blows. Goodluck,,,Rick
Old 06-16-2004, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by kandgo
Johnny, we have the same trailer, I looked in the manuals that came with mine and no luck on the light wire codes or such, I just did what supergewl stated and it was a breeze, Now for a suggestion, just last week I had a tire on the driver side rear blow and directly behind said tire above the bottom black cover is the main wire harness for the entire trailer, ie: the fridge,ac,power convertor and such, when tire blew it will grab the harness and pull wires that go up the side of the trailer and it is quite the chore to tear the side of the trailer down to repair the wires that is pulled loose, I spent over 10 hours doing so in a campsite last week to get the ac and fridge to working order. When I got home I bolted a 1/4 inch plate to cover up the dammaged area where the wires are,and to prevent from ever happening again, I would suggest to you to do the same, and if you have the Goodyear marathons that came stock on mine to have them looked at, as Goodyear just replaced all 5 of mine with no questions asked, which I found odd as the the other three on the ground and the spare were still in excellent shape. Just passing on some info that might help you if that certain tire ever blows. Goodluck,,,Rick
If your trailer is still under warranty then you need to have GOODYEAR reimburse you for the damage. I had the same problem happen to me with CARLISE tires that had less than 500 miles on them. They replaced all 5 with new GOODYEAR steel belted radial tires, a new spare & paid for all the repairs, It was about $1500 worht of damage to a new TT
I almost left the thing next to road and call the company I bought it from and tell them to come pick it up.
I bet if you check yo will find out that GOODYEAR recalled those tires due to defects, that's why they replaced them no questions asked.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:45 AM

They asked me about the dammage, which other than the torn bottom and the wires, which I had already repaired, there was no cosmetic dammage, just my labor of a day. I am still in contact with goodyear as I am supposed to let them know how the tire change out went. I'll see what they have to say about my labor on the wires. I do know if I ever have a different trailer I will go underneath and add the steel plates infront of and behind all the tires, as I am doing on mine to prevent any dammage again such as I had, especially infront of the plumbing. I did think it very odd they changed out all the other ones, probably is a problem and they are quitely exchanging out the problem ones, as most RV's set alot and the warranty on the tires expire,which is a benefit to the tire makers, Thanks and Goodluck.... Rick
Old 06-16-2004, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the suggestions on finding the wires I need. I did pull the tail light covers off but both sides had the same colors. I'll try getting under the trailer again to look for them. I will also talk to one of the service techs at the dealership we bought it from, see if they offer any help. As to the tires, it does have the Goodyear Marathons. Will definately be asking the dealer if there's some kind of recall on them. I'll check with Goodyear as well. Thanks again.