Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Why is my battery boiling?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 09:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I’m no expert, but I kind of read up on batteries this last year or so…

Strictly in theory there isn't an advantage to two 6v's as opposed to one big 12v if everything else is equal (same quality, same amp hour/capacity). Both are essentially 6 cells in series, the only thing being different is that with the 6v's they would be in two different cases with an external connector cable.

I think that two 6volts are an advantage to two 12 volt batteries in parallel. When two batteries are hooked in parallel, if one self-discharges faster than the other, it will drag the other one down, and so on. At some point (say above 420 amp hours) you can’t avoid running batteries in parallel. If you do so, they should be of the same type, age, and capacity (amp hour).

Also, when it comes to flooded type batteries, you generally get a more durable battery and more capacity for your money with a pair of industrial 6 volts than with inexpensive flooded 12 volts…

Your sealed battery is likely an AGM type. They are more expensive than flooded deep cycles, but they charge at the same voltage, don’t off gas as much, don’t require water, resist freezing better, resist vibration, and last longer.

Here’s a very well done page with basic battery info.

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

Here’s an excellent page on watering… Essentially make sure the plates stay covered, and keep the level ¼ to 1/8 below the indicator when the battery is at full charge and warm. Use distilled/deionized water, and never add acid. (None of this is applicable to your sealed battery, of course).

http://www.trojan-battery.com/Tech-S.../Watering.aspx
Old 06-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I trust and sincerely hope you had some kind of protective clothing on while handling that boiling battery. That is absolutely not a good thing to do. The battery in my old 89 truck overcharged one night on the way home from work (could tell by the acrid smell). I popped the hood to see what was going on and it was steaming. It scared me so bad I shut the hood very gently and wouldn't go near it for three days. One of the instructors here at work who was very good on batteries said sounds like plates had shorted out and it could actually explode. Let me tell you something, something was very tight until I got that thing out of the truck and set it way out in the field for about three months.
Boiling = hydrogen = explosion = acid everywhere and on everything = not good
You need to find that problem and quick and please be safe.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Good point. I've seen a few that have exploded.

Eye protection is absolutely a must.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my horse trailers battery charges when i hook up my truck trailer lights t the trailer and that is what charges it if i hook the trailer up to the wall it just runs the trailer not the battery. but i think the deal with yours it that you have a bad ground or a short in your wires if you have a fuse blow and bulbs blow! i bet it will be something little that you just missed
Old 06-16-2007, 12:34 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dieseldude4x4
I trust and sincerely hope you had some kind of protective clothing on while handling that boiling battery. That is absolutely not a good thing to do. .
DD... I've seen teh results of one exploding in a F350, after three days there wasnt a wire or piece of rubber/plastic left in that engine compartment!

I covered it with a piece of old canvass( all I had ) and wore eye protection... carried it out onto a large gravle parkign area I got and let it set overnight to cool down.. hauled it down to Interstate and gave it to them( I did tell them it had been gassing)...

It seems the battery was the problem, no issues at all since i repaced it.