Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

who has towed the heaviest?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005 | 09:55 AM

38K on a stock truck...Stopping was fine, had a really nice trailer and truck brakes were almost new at the time. The truck really knew it was back there on the hills, had to use third gear once .

30-32K a lot of times...BOMBed the truck is fine with this much weight, stoppping is still easy, just give yourself a little extra room as always when pulling the trailer.

anything less than 30K doesn't even count as a load for me, but most of what I haul catches a TON of wind which plays heck on the mileage and power. Weight=Easy, Wind=(insert four letter word here)

Chris
Old 04-21-2005 | 12:23 PM

Hey Chris, time for some aerodynamic combines????

two words that just dont belong in the same sentence.... "aerodynamic" and "combine"
Old 04-21-2005 | 12:46 PM

My '01 3500 truck and 36' trailer weighed in at 17,500 lbs. empty and I averaged around 16-20k in the trailer with the most ever being 23k in the trailer which made me a little over 40k gross. I ran vacuum over hydraulic brakes and never had a problem slowing down.
Old 04-21-2005 | 04:07 PM

UNGHH UNGHHH!!!

Originally posted by Fronty Owner
Everyone that is making fun of your mother in law just remember... thats gonna be your wife in 20 to 30 years....
No it won't........ I divorced my wife........

I'm ALLLL BETTER now..........
Old 04-23-2005 | 11:06 AM

Originally posted by durasmack
Hey Chris, time for some aerodynamic combines????

two words that just dont belong in the same sentence.... "aerodynamic" and "combine"
Don't tell the green guys that...it'll be the next HUGE marketing ploy.
"Better transport fuel efficiency with the new John Deere 986574865585 Series combines with the use of our (optional) aerodynamic soybean composite outer skins!"

What else could they be working on but THAT???
Chris
Old 02-17-2006 | 10:51 AM
FAY

over weight

Originally Posted by 1320
I don t think the weight alone means is dangerous. Its probably 99% the nut behind the wheel. If your smart enough to weigh it , and know what your pulling that pretty much leads to the question" how do I alter my driving cause of that weight"

I gross 23-25500 with my trailer, been higher but not much.

I know there was a guy on tdr I think that had grossed 56k......
Exceeding the vehicle's GVWR or GCWR is illegal because it is considered dangerous, and it is unsafe for most of the inexperienced operators with little common sense. Traveling above a certain maximum speed is extremely critical, depending on the type of equipment and the amount of weight being carried. Any slight change of direction presents problems for an overloaded vehicle. Load height or any possibility of the load shifting has to be kept in mind when changing direction from the line of travel. Always slow way down and be prepaired for the unexpected. The driver's strict attention to the road ahead and traffic conditions around has to be a priority as the vehicle's brakes are not designed or as efficient for the increased load wherein emergency stops can be seriously problematic. Increased cold tires air pressure is necessary to prevent overheating and a possible tire failure. Exceeding the GAWR and the tire's maximum load rating at a certain cold pressure is taking a chance on a failure occuring in the equipment. Speed stresses the vehicle components exceedingly. A person can get away with dangerous situations if they are extremely careful and know beforehand what has to be adhered to to proceed safely. We are supposed to wear seat belts incase of the unexpected situation. We are supposed to keep load weights within the GVWR to prevent the unexpected being a dangerous accident.

Last edited by FAY; 02-17-2006 at 10:56 AM. Reason: How did this message get in a different thread?
Old 02-17-2006 | 03:51 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Where's that guy that hauled the load form Alaska to texas that grossed over 45,000# and had the pictures to prove and lived to tell about it
Old 02-17-2006 | 04:39 PM

ya id like to see those pics
Old 02-17-2006 | 06:02 PM

Heaviest ive towed?

With my dodge ram i towed a 32 foot tandem axle big tex gooseneck with a cat 416B four wheel drive enclosed cab backhoe on it. THAT was heavy. Starting was no problem, stopping, well thank god for trailer brakes. Cattlewise i have towed in the pics in my gallery it was 23 animals that weighed in between 500 thru 1000 lbs crammed like cigars in a box. The gooseneck weighed in empty at about 8000 lbs and i would assume the total weight of the cattle was close to 15K or so? It still wasnt as heavy as the backhoe tho. I dont drive over scales often i just tow and deliver..

Tx
Old 02-17-2006 | 11:27 PM

Here's the link to the picture a couple of the last posts were talking about. I believe it was a 2500.
Old 02-18-2006 | 01:43 AM

With livestock, we day in and day out gross up to and over 40,000.

I have never felt dangerous or unsafe on account of the load or my equipment.

It is 90% driver sense and 10% equipment.

I wouldn't have anything except Vacuum-over-Hydraulic trailer brakes and a no-nonsense solid welded/bolted gooseneck plate of my own making.

Just hang around any stock-yards and you will see loads like this come and go all day.

It is nothing unusual.
Old 02-18-2006 | 08:13 AM
Urban Legend

I’m not real proud of it but I got roped in to hauling a load for my sons father in law.
My truck and trailer wt. Is 14,800 after loading and adding the skids up total wt was 41600 gross wt. This was not including the wt of pallets.
Only hauled it about 60 miles but had me a little concerned .
Old 02-18-2006 | 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
I gross up to 33,000 regularly on most days and have for 300,000 miles. I did it stock, I did it bombed, I did it with the current commercial engine. I did it single tired, dual tired, a year with no heater, with a five speed, with a six speed, with a stock clutch, with a LUK pro gold clutch, with a SBE clutch.

I know that is not all you have did it with, why did you cut your list short? ,ie; did it with a bird,etc etc did it with like a half dozen different turbo configurations,etc etc. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 02-18-2006 | 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
Where's that guy that hauled the load form Alaska to texas that grossed over 45,000# and had the pictures to prove and lived to tell about it

You guys should look up that post and read it, the pictures are something else but the story that goes with it is worth the read!!! He is one lucky guy in my book. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 02-18-2006 | 10:53 AM

You guys should look up that post and read it, the pictures are something else but the story that goes with it is worth the read!!! He is one lucky guy in my book. Goodluck,,Rick
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=71611

Quick Reply: who has towed the heaviest?