Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

where to convert to dump bed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to convert to dump bed?

Not sure what forum this belongs in, but does anyone know where to get a hoist kit to convvert a standard 8' bed over to a dump bed? Been running searches and can't seem to come up with anything useful. Are there aftermarket companies out there that will sell you a kit, or do you have to go to one of those commercial truck body conversion shops to get it done. Also, will I still be able to run a gooseneck with a kit or will it be one or the other? Thanks.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:02 AM
Banned

If you use the gooseneck you will have the hole in your dump bed cause the hitch has to be mounted to the frame. You might check out the dump bed inserts if you wanna keep the gooseneck.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:45 AM
Banned

pickup dump bed kit brings up quite a few listings on ebay, not cheap but I like them better than inserts, inserts weigh quite a bit more and all that weight is lost carrying capacity.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:53 AM

Definately dont want an insert....just converting stock bed to dump.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Evildiesel
Not sure what forum this belongs in, but does anyone know where to get a hoist kit to convvert a standard 8' bed over to a dump bed? Been running searches and can't seem to come up with anything useful. Are there aftermarket companies out there that will sell you a kit, or do you have to go to one of those commercial truck body conversion shops to get it done. Also, will I still be able to run a gooseneck with a kit or will it be one or the other? Thanks.
Since you're on the internet, go to www.yahoo.com, and copy/paste "pickup dump bed kit" in the search box like mikmaze said, and you'll find tons of places to shop.

Even northerntool.com sells them.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:08 AM

I know that you said that you didn't want a slide in but you should look at Dump-Pro.

Hyspeed
Old 12-31-2005, 06:11 AM

good question

Hi,
I have been looking into doing the same thing myself. I have found tons of information and can give you a few places to look into. There are many things to consider before doing it as I have found a Dodge installation is much more complicated if trying to keep a gooseneck installed.
I primarily use my truck to haul freight so the goosenck is a "must have" for me. The dump would be nice but I can live without it if it will create havok with my hauling. I am wanting to do a flatbed install with dump. I understand that the Dodge bed is not really strong enough to use as a dump bed and would need some additional hardware to make it strong enough.
Then you also have to consider the additional height of the actual bed in relation to the gooseneck. It seems that the shortest installation would still add atleast 6 inches and then you will have to jack the trailer up that distance to clear the bed. Dodge is not too traditional in their frame building, thats where Ford and Chevy guys have it easy. Most of their frame rails are flat, making an install easier. Dodge frames have a hump to clear the rear wheels and you will have to build up the front of the frame for installation. Not really that challenging in itself, but add the goosenck and then it can add trouble. Dodge also made our frames wider than everyone elses and not all kits will mount in the same fashion. Again, not too bad a problem but something else to consider.
Luckily, I have found a few guys here in Atlanta willing to give me a few pointers and I think I will attempt an installation very soon. Since I have all of the tools to make the flatbed myself, I will be making the bed myself. I am sure it will be an experiment up until the final connections are welded up. From all of my internet searches and conversations, the minimum height increase will be 6 inches for the rail and 3 inches for the crossmembers for the actual bed. I am trying to figure a way to cut the rail height to make it shorter, but it might not fit any closer. The hoist itself will require 6 inches of space to fit. I have one of the pop-up goosenecks so I will gain another 4 inches to get me a little closer so jacking the trailer will still be about 4 more inches to clear the bed to get out from under the trailer. Not to bad you might say, but that 40 foot trailer is pretty heavy to jack back up after driving 1400 miles.

Still trying to work out an electric jack to run off the trailer wiring connections.....

I have seen a few good installation photos form a website at http://www.tgsales.com They actually show a Dodge flatbed dump with a goosenck hole, so I will be calling them after the first of the year to see if they will offer a solution to my quest. Check the "dump special" page for a good view of a typical installation.

Chris
Old 12-31-2005, 04:03 PM

All fifth wheel RV's and some motor homes have electric jacks . Looks like you'd be able to rig something up using parts designed for them .