Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

When a Husky is a Bear!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When a Husky is a Bear!

Just installed my 16K dual Pivot Husky 5th wheel hitch...what a bear! I used the approved clamp-on kit. It was a bit of a struggle to do by myself. I drilled the bed holes as instructed but they still didn't line up perfectly. It just took more time than I figured. Some of the bolts where dang near impossible to get the nuts on...that's where the wifes small hands come into play. If anyone has installed one like this; did you have trouble getting the tubular spacers in the front bed hat? One of mine had to be ground down so it would fit inside the channel. The other was too short and never did get solid, even after torquing. It was very loose and would produce a life-long rattle but a few tablespoons of silicone caulk fixed it up!

The Prodigy brake controller was quite the opposite. Just plug and go! A 5 minute job. Tomorrow...the maiden voyage with the 5er hooked up to the new dually...I hope the hitch stays secured to the truck!
Old 06-27-2004, 05:27 AM
Chapter President

Sounds like it was a bear to install.....be sure to check your mounting bolts for looseness after a set number of miles....I would check every 100 miles until I was sure everything was tight and secure
Old 06-30-2004, 02:35 PM

So Buzz, how did it go? Everything still tight? Please let me know what your first driving impressions are of the Prodigy. Did you buy online, or local...also how much $$$.
Thanks !
Old 06-30-2004, 04:08 PM

I just installed a Reese 16k on my 04.5 dually, went pretty well & the bed spacers fit ok although drilling the two 1" holes was a little scary!
(If anyone's interested, I'll go over how it went & what I'd do next time!)

Drilling the 8 holes in the frame & pulling the bolts thru turned out to be no big deal... but I'd still like to see Reese offer a no-drill kit!

Any chance you could post some pictures of the Husky clamp-on frame kit installed?????

Thanks, Defdog2
Old 07-01-2004, 10:56 AM

I installed a 16K dual Pivot Husky 5th wheel hitch on my 04.5 and it came with a special bracket set up for the 04. I had to drill the frame and snake the bolts in. Went okay. I put a spot of paint on all the nuts so I could tell if they moved. After 800 miles of towing everything is still tight, did not move at all. My Prodigy brake controller is much better than the last controller I had.
Enjoy the ride.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Maccandy
I installed a 16K dual Pivot Husky 5th wheel hitch on my 04.5 and it came with a special bracket set up for the 04. I had to drill the frame and snake the bolts in. Went okay. I put a spot of paint on all the nuts so I could tell if they moved. After 800 miles of towing everything is still tight, did not move at all. My Prodigy brake controller is much better than the last controller I had.
Enjoy the ride.
You should still recheck the torque on the bolts/nuts. Just because they paint says the nuts didn't back off doesn't mean that they are still at proper torque. Part of the reason for retorquing is that bolts stretch and parts can settle into each other. You still need to check them periodically. Especially after the initial install.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:03 AM

cLAYH,
Thanks for the tip. I will do that.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:39 PM

still tight

Originally posted by Moose10
So Buzz, how did it go? Everything still tight? Please let me know what your first driving impressions are of the Prodigy. Did you buy online, or local...also how much $$$.
Thanks !
The hitch mounting bolts look good after 1300 miles of towing. But back to the installation for a minute. When I originally tried to torque the front mounting bracket bolts, the ones that go through the bed, I never was able to reach the specified 125-150 ft. lbs. becuase the bed had a tendency to crush even though I used the correct steel spacers. Everything appears to be okay so I'll leave well enough alone. I think if I had to do it all over, I'd use the mounts that drill through the frame instead. I doubt that drilling the frame, as recommended by the hitch instructions, would seriously harm it's integrity.

The Prodigy is great. I used it on my last truck. It's easy to adjust. They average about $139.00. Got mine at an RV store.