Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

whats it take to haul a 12 foot wide boat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by high bid
In order to haul it successfully, you'll need a CTD! We hauled a 35' sportfisher back +-300 mi w/no problems going by state troopers. 12' beam, triple axle trailer, 10k+. We'd ride the right lane stripe so the beam wouldn't cross much over the one-way lane stripe. Once completed w/the new diesels, I'll be hauling in back down that same hwy.
is that fiberglass? this house boat is steel haul, and im trying to figure out how much it weighs.

just like this one http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/P...Houseboat3.JPG
Old 03-13-2009, 06:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by high bid
In order to haul it successfully, you'll need a CTD! We hauled a 35' sportfisher back +-300 mi w/no problems going by state troopers. 12' beam, triple axle trailer, 10k+. We'd ride the right lane stripe so the beam wouldn't cross much over the one-way lane stripe. Once completed w/the new diesels, I'll be hauling in back down that same hwy.
we need pics
Old 03-13-2009, 08:48 AM

Timmer,why not find a nice big lake and just pay rent for a house boat slip and fish your life away? My wife's grandfather had a house boat on a lake just north of Knoxville,Tn, and he had electric and running water supplied to the boat. He didn't take it out on the lake because he had a pontoon boat for that. Other people who had boats like yours would take theirs out on the lake and just find a cove and anchor for the night and then move on the next morning. Hauling that thing around to me would be a big hassle.Use it for a week end getaway/cabin kinda thing and just have fun with it.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yep fiberglass....now searching for pics. It was kind of crazy follwing behind it in the honda.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by AUGIE DOG
Timmer,why not find a nice big lake and just pay rent for a house boat slip and fish your life away? My wife's grandfather had a house boat on a lake just north of Knoxville,Tn, and he had electric and running water supplied to the boat. He didn't take it out on the lake because he had a pontoon boat for that. Other people who had boats like yours would take theirs out on the lake and just find a cove and anchor for the night and then move on the next morning. Hauling that thing around to me would be a big hassle.Use it for a week end getaway/cabin kinda thing and just have fun with it.
this thing will live on the ohio river 99% of the time. i figure only twice or three times a year i would want to move it to a local lake for a family outing. seeing as its going to take a act of congress to get it up the high way, its not something i will want to do a lot.

on a house boating forum a guy said he had one like it, a foot longet with twinn's and he thought he remembered it weighing 14,000 pounds. i guess that kinda shoots that down. too much for a 3/4 ton? cus you have to figure at lest another 3K for the trailer.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RickG
Formula boat racing teams use tilt trailers .
I always thought they just used those to better show off the boat and sponsors during the pre-race parades, but the width thing makes sense.