Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

What to prepare

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to prepare

hey fellas,
Well here in about a month i am going to be towing my Grandfathers 30FT (don't know the weight) camp trailer over the mountains from western WA to eastern OR. and i was wondering if there are any big things i need to check before the haul? i know about all the fluids i am servicing the tranny this weekend so to be sure. I have only had my truck a little under a year and I have had very little problems. and i just want to be sure. and anything else i might want to bring in case? the temps going over the mountains should be around 80 degrees.
thanks
Marty
Old 06-14-2004, 11:38 AM

What to prepare

Well besides all the things you have stated about your vehicle, do not forget the trailer you are towing.
Brakes, are they ok, do they work - try a compass beside each wheel to see if it deflects when the brake is applied.
Bearings - when were they last checked?
Brake away switch and lanyard
Lights - clearance, running, turn & brakes.
Brake controller setup - recheck
hitch - 5th or tag along - go over with a fine tooth comb.
Tag along - sway bar
Empty all fluids in trailer or keep min fresh water.
Trailer battery - needed for emergency brakes.
Propane - do you really need it on while you are driving.
Trailer windows closed - I keep the roof vents closed also to prevent the "stink" from being drawn up thru the sink trap and toilet. (put sink plugs in and have water in the toilet trap).

Hope I have helped.
cheers f
Old 06-14-2004, 12:10 PM

Yes actually this will help alot. i have gone over my truck pretty well. the camper is realativly new so it shouldn't be faulty in any way but i will check thanks alot for the help
Old 06-14-2004, 11:14 PM

Have you changed your diff fluid lately? If you are due, go with 75W-140 synthetic on a second gen. Don't forget the friction modifier if you have limited slip.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:48 PM

Make sure the bolts on your hitch are tight. And check out all the welds on the hitch assembly if you've towed anything really heavy in the past.

Somebody on here (can't remember who) was hauling something recently w/ a rusty ball hitch and it just so happens that there was enough corrosion on the ball to weaken it enough to crack and break loose.

Where there's a crack, there's a weakness no matter how small it is.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:56 AM
abb

And by all meens you have to make sure the tires are at the right pressure,and check the springs make sure they are'nt flat ,and check the hanger bolts too these things are usally missed and you sure don't want the springs or hangers to fail it can do lots of damage. had it happen to me
Old 07-02-2004, 04:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't forget to re-torque the lug bolts (trailer especially) before every haul. You'd be surprised how loose they can get. I torque mine to 100ftlbs. My brother lost a wheel off his rig once and it went through another car's windshied. Thank goodness no one was hurt - but I'm sure the driver had to stop and change his shorts

Neil
Old 07-02-2004, 08:20 PM

I don't think a "tranny temp" of 80 degrees F. is not right. A normal running temp. should be about 160 or so. 240 should be max. for an auto.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:09 PM

Cool

Originally posted by Pickle
I don't think a "tranny temp" of 80 degrees F. is not right. A normal running temp. should be about 160 or so. 240 should be max. for an auto.
No, he means the air temp outside should be in the 80's!
Old 07-11-2004, 12:45 PM

I second what NJMurvin said "Don't forget to re-torque the lug bolts (trailer especially) before every haul."

Lots of good info above - It ought to be put into a check list

I would look at granddads trailer tires for signs of age - especially the sidewalls are they checkered - how is his spare - sun and time can kill tires even if they have plenty of tread!

It sounds like a fun trip

good luck George
Old 07-12-2004, 01:18 PM

well i just went through and inspected the trailer and my truck as per your guys intructions. come to find out one of the trailers lug nuts was only finger tight. wow that could have been messy! but other than that everything else is in perfect order. i took off all the propane tanks and put them in the bed of my truck and tow straped them down nice and tight. we set out here in about a week i am just throwing everything together and off we go thanks guys for all the help!