Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

What happens when a truck crashes pulling a 5th wheel ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 01:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"and no damage was done to drivers, or passengers in either unit."

That is what I wanted to hear.

It sounds like the 4 or so bolts that hold my hitch in place shoud be sufficient then ?

I can't figure out how the pin was tore off the one trailer and yet the bolts holding the hitch didn't fail. I would have thought those bolts were the weak point in the system.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation From a few years back,,,,,,

Click on pic for larger view ^^

Old 05-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Banned

Yikes ! Looks like the bolts holding the hitch in place failed. The hitch itself looks intact and attached to the trailer.

He must have jacknifed the truck by causing the rear axle to skid when he touched the brakes. Either the trailer tires didn't grip or his trailer brakes were too light ?

I wonder how much that trailer weighed and how much weight he had on the rear axle of the truck (ie where was the hitch)

A friend of mine borrowed his father's 2WD truck and 5th wheel trailer. He tried to park it into a campsite that was a bit uphill. All the truck would do was spin because there wasn't enough weight on the rear axle of the truck to push the trailer uphill. I wonder how that rig handled on the highway ?
Old 05-30-2005, 05:25 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

the trailer looks to have faired well...
Old 05-30-2005, 07:40 PM

The CTD I bought for my conversion was pulling a 5th wheel when it wrecked. It didn't finish with a single intact piece of sheetmetal.

The trailer it's sitting on, is the one it was pulling in the wreck.

Luckily, the motor was in good shape.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:11 PM

Just seen this posted over on TDR....looking at the pic with the write-up the trailer stayed attached or at lease semi-attached...it's a shame that people died and were injured thou...

Click me for article...
Old 05-30-2005, 08:19 PM
Banned

What I am worried about is the trailer coming loose and killing the passengers in the back seat of the pickup pulling the trailer. It doesn't look like that happens very often. It does look like a largish trailer has the ability to squash a truck though.

Can you imagine if the hitch let loose and the pinbox and hitch came though the back window of the truck ?
Old 05-31-2005, 12:07 AM

So does this make bumperpulls safer in crashes??
Old 05-31-2005, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The question asked is valid especially when you rely on RV salesmen for the right answer, when buying and installing hitches you have the right to ask about the hitch and its mounts capabilities. It was stated earlier that grade 5 bolts are a better choice for frame mounts of the same size instead of grade 8, it is true Gr5 bolts are less brittle than Gr8 bolts. Check a list of equal sizes though nd you will find Gr8 bolts are rated a lot higher breaking strength. I personally use a Holland 6200 commercial 5th wheel rated at 26,000lbs and 9000lbs vertical bolted to a flatdeck all mounted with 3/4" Gr8 bolts X 8- overkill yes, safe yes. PK
Old 05-31-2005, 01:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Many hitch designers choose grade 5 bolts for their ductility, then get the required strength (clamping forces) with larger bolt diameters and/or more bolts. As an engineer, if the designer chose grade 5 bolts, that's what I'm sticking with.

Yes, grade 8 bolts will have a higher UTS (ultimate tensile strength), but they have reduced ductility and greater notch sensitivity than a grade 5 bolt.

Rusty
Old 05-31-2005, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rusty what you say is true and I agree that possibly in an impact the Gr8 bolts may possibly shear quicker than a bolt with more stretch however the tinfoil bargain hitch attached to the truck usually distorts and tears away before the bolts fail. Money is generally the deciding factor of purchase based on the salesman's expertise for hitching devices. And I like you will stick with what I feel is needed to be safe. PK
Old 05-31-2005, 01:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a fith wheel, the installation shop used 4 bolts to hold the plate to the bed/frame. When I was done it had 12!! From my observation I call it cheap insurance for the 20 bucks spent on more bolts!!
Old 05-31-2005, 05:47 PM

Sherman, we were not far behind that crash. We passed it before the authorities got there. The horses were already out and some people had them in some shade under some trees if I remember right. Seems like I remember the truck and trailer being on there side with scrape marks across both sides of the three northbound lanes like they went from one railing to the other before stopping. Hate to read they were killed. I've seen some ugly ones on I-75...
Old 06-01-2005, 02:57 AM

Actually I think their was a thread on TDR or on pavementsucks.com I cant remember which. GrADE 8 BOLTS do not shear like most people believe it would b/c its more stronger and brittle, however grade 8 is not at the point where steel is any less ductile as grade 5 bolt is. A much higher grade bolt then grade 8 is required to reach the threshold point at which it just shears and is not ductile.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:01 AM

Grade 8 myth

Theres the link.

Quick Reply: What happens when a truck crashes pulling a 5th wheel ?