Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Which weight distribution setup?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I'll take a stab at it. I just added the Dual Cam HP sway to my Reese hitch from above. I tightened it too much at first and when I cranked the wheel going down the road to try and make it sway it lightened my rear end on the truck to the point of almost scary. I backed the snap up down a link in the chain and it solved that problem. However, when the trailer moves to the side like in a sway, the bar rides up the cam making it tighter which in turn lifts that side of the truck's rear. I would expect they are afraid of a guy loosing traction at that point but it's only a guess based on my experience as of late.

I do highly recommend the Reese dual cam high performance sway kit. I can't get that trailer to sway in the least bit. Very happy with it and the hitch.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:35 AM

I have been using an equal-i-zer hitch on two different trailers for well over 10 years and do leave it hooked up reguardless of the weather. The reason I started to leave it hooked up was " I was traveling with a friend with about the same setups and hitches and we were caught in a fairly heavy snow storm with lots of wind. I was ahead of him and he was sliding around a lot and I was not". the only time I unhook now is when off road with nasty turns and dips. but then this is history now, sold my setup and mooving up to fifth wheel only now.

Thom

Your results may varry
Old 06-22-2006, 11:29 PM

I'll cast my vote for the Reese Weight Distribution Hitch and Dual Cam HP sway control. This the set-up we're currently using with our travel trailer and I have no complaints. Like someone posted earlier, proper chain tension on the cams is very important but not difficult to achieve.