Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Which weight distribution setup?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which weight distribution setup?

I am going to be leasing on with a company to haul campers and was wondering what the best weight distribution setup would be. Has to be at least 1,000lbs. tounge and 10,000 GVW. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:41 AM

I just got one of these. So far it works great.

http://www.reese-hitches.com/heavy_d...und_bar_wd.htm
Old 05-22-2006, 11:44 AM

I use the Reese Straight-Line setup (HP Weight Distribution and HP Dual Cam sway control in one package) with 1200-lb bars. Kept my 8000 lb travel trailer from swaying when towed behind my 1/2-ton Titan.

Since you'll be going from trailer to trailer, I assume you want something that is easily transferable. My system required a couple holes be drilled into the trailer frame so may not be the best for your application. You may want to post this question on RV.net and see what they think. Good luck!
Old 05-22-2006, 02:54 PM

The setup I linked to above does not require holes in the trailer frame rails. The buckles mount on the rail and then a set screw that keeps them from coming off. The setup took about 8 minutes to install.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:38 PM

Hey thanks for the replys. I think that I am going to order the one you linked to me. That looks like a pretty good setup.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:38 PM

No problem, if you need any pics of the hitch bar or the distribution setup let me know.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Banned

Hey...................

If you're fixin to start hauling RVs out of the Elkhart, Indiana area, wait til you get up there to buy that hitch!!

Stop by "The Dually Depot" there on CR6 about a mile and a half west of 19. They carry EVERYTHING you need for hauling RVs commercially, plus you'll save the high $$ costs that you'll have to pay to have this set-up shipped to you.

Here is the exact same hitch at the Depot for $275..........
Weight Distribution Hitch

.... and they'll put it together for you and show you how to use it. Trust me, they have many many many of these in stock, so don't worry about waiting til you get there and worrying that they don't have one on stock, OK, know what I mean.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:29 PM

I will have to call them and check that out too. I appreciate all the suggestions.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:21 AM

Well I just got my weight distribution setup and I decided to go with the one that Staarma suggested and it is a very nice setup. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I appreciate it.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:01 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Some of the RV companies are concerned about the trailers they own and asked a few folks to fix the scrapes on the paint from the clamps since they are new trailers.
I elected to go with a hidden hitch that is good for 10K and 1K tongue without WD. It mounts below the factory hitch so the need for a bigger drop hitch to tow level is not needed on most of the trailers. I already had the wide body stingers that are solid and rated for 10K.
Make sure the ball and stinger are rated for what you need as well.

Lock everything down too.

Scotty
Old 06-16-2006, 01:26 PM

I've got a husky distribution hitch rated at 1400lbs. tongue weight and don't really care for it. The only sway piece I can get for it are the friction plates and have not heard very many likes about them. So I just ordered an Equalizer sway control hitch rated for a 14K trailer with 1400lbs. tongue weight. Hopes this works better for me.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by d0dg301
I've got a husky distribution hitch rated at 1400lbs. tongue weight and don't really care for it. The only sway piece I can get for it are the friction plates and have not heard very many likes about them. So I just ordered an Equalizer sway control hitch rated for a 14K trailer with 1400lbs. tongue weight. Hopes this works better for me.
Is that one of the Equal-i-zer hitches like this one? http://www.mrtruck.net/equalizer.htm

If you would - please let us know how it works - I've been eyeing one of those for no other real reason than it appear it'd be easier to move from one trailer to another.

Thanks -
Old 06-16-2006, 03:05 PM

Just sold my TT the end of last year, looking to go with a 5ver and a atv trailer behind it.

This is a pic with my TT using the Equal-i-zer hitch. IMO it is one of the best hitches out there. Easy to hook up, distributes wieght very well and the best part is eliminates sway. Almost as good as pulling a 5ver.

You can't go wrong with it.

If this pic doesn't work, it is in my gallery.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:21 PM

I've had the equal-i-zer for a few years and absolutely love it. No holes in the trailer and I have never experienced sway of any kind with it while pulling our 29' TT.

Ron
Old 06-20-2006, 04:49 PM

Question for those of you that use these things regularly - is it true that you shouldn't use either type of sway control (friction or cam) when there is inclimate weather? If so, why is this, and what do you do when you have to tow when it's not 'nice' outside?

Quick Reply: Which weight distribution setup?