Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Truck Camper = Air Bags?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Camper = Air Bags?

I'm looking at slide-in campers around 3000lbs, how much squat will I get and what's the best way to minimize it? I have a 01.5 quad cab with camper pkg.

This is what I'm looking for, unfortunately Biglar just left for vacation with this rig and I can't ask him.

http://www.dodge-diesel.org/yabbse/a..._new_tires.JPG

Old 06-27-2003, 01:51 PM

Re:Truck Camper = Air Bags?

Shootist: I have a '99 Elkhorn 9T Extended Cab model with power jacks. It is actually almost 10 foot, and I was worried about the same thing. It weighs about 3000 pounds ready to go, a bit more sometimes. The truck squats just enough to barely touch the overloads. It does not appear to be squatting at all, even with a fair amount of tongue weight thrown on also. I am very happy with how it drives and rides, a little bit of sway, but since I got the adjustable Ranchos, even that is minimized. We have put at least 20k miles on this setup, and I have become very comfortable with how it drives. Even through 40 mph gusting side winds, etc. just a little more attention gets paid, but there is nothing to really worry about. I will say this though, after not having driven with the camper on for a while, it seems like it sways alot. Then after you drive a bit, you realize that there is a small amount of initial sway, and then it seems to just "set" at that amount, even if you start taking corners rather spiritedly. The limit is always how much stuff you want to clean up in the camper after your trip. I think people tend to worry way too much about a small amount of sway. Also, I would rather have the camper set down a couple inches then jack it up to "normal" height with airbags. No bouncing at all on rough roads, actually rides much better with the camper on. The springs do squeak quite a bit at low speeds, but I haven't really worried about it. Sorry about the long post, just trying to give complete information! Jeff
Old 06-27-2003, 02:15 PM

I'm going to try to put my 10' on for the first time this weekend. Was just wondering, on a 2500 is the torsion/sway? bar on the rear axle part of the camper package? I have noticed some 2500's don't have them. I used air bags on the PSD and liked them. I am going to try the CTD just w/o the air springs (don't know if I will keep the camper, might trade it in).
Old 06-27-2003, 05:12 PM

Wheezer: Yep, the sway bar is on the rear axle. That and the overloads were the camper package. That changed with the '03s I think, not sure. Have a good one, Jeff
Old 06-27-2003, 06:08 PM

Shootist,<br> I don't have a slide in camper, however I do have a 5er and Airbags. I first towed the 5er without the airbags and the rearend did sit down more than I wanted it to. So I decided to get the airbags and it rides better and seems to handle better. Really did not notice any sway either with or without the airbags. To me, it was a good investment to get the airbags. It does make a stiffer ride without a load. Hope this helps....<br>Big dawg
Old 06-30-2003, 05:04 PM

I have a 2001 I have a 11'3&quot; Lance. I didn't do anything but I did have airbags on my ford. They are nice for leveling side to side if your side heavy and to keep you level front to back!
Old 06-30-2003, 05:40 PM

Camper package + airbags causes issues. My opinion, don't slam me, some guys love them. I took them off my 2500 and it became a pleasure to drive.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:29 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

Not to interfere but what is everyones GVWR on their 2500's. Short or long bed. And do you have the overload springs. I was trying to compare my GVWR to others, but it hard to find trucks unlocked so I can read the vin tag.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:22 AM

I just got mine on this weekend. It's a Palomino Wrangler 9900 (hard side, 10' box, probably 2350 lbs. plate says 2100 but add a/c, antenna, tv, etc.). Truck is a 2001.5 2500 longbed 4x4 w/ torsion and overload spring. It seems to sit level without airbags or additional springs. Haven't got any real miles on it. Looks better on this truck than the old PSD. Don't know if I'll get to see how it rides, put an offer on a TT, supposed to find out today.