Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Trailer tire came off...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer tire came off...

Well I loaded up my broken-down ramp truck on my trailer to tow it to the soon-to-be new owner. Everything was going fine for around 8 miles or so, until I noticed in the mirror that the trailer started to sway slightly. Nothing that I could really feel in the truck, just a very slight sway. Then, all of a sudden I heard BANG and I saw the left rear trailer tire rollong across the road into the woods, and the trailer dropped to the road. I was going slow and pulled to the side. I thought maybe the axle or spindle had broke, but they were fine. Even the wheel studs were fine. I could see them clearly because there were NO lug nuts! Now, before anyone suggests that they had gotten loose over time, or someone loosened them, let me explain the events leading up to today.

A couple days ago I prepared for the trip by pulling all the trailer tires and checking the suspension. I also repacked the wheel bearings. I put the wheels back on (aluminum wheels) and tightened all of the lug nuts as tight as I could with the 1/2" ratchet I was using. Then I went around to all of them with a breaker bar and gave them all a little extra twist. Not extreme, just making sure they were all tight. Today after loading up the truck, before hitting the road, I went around and checked them all again.

So, I was thinking either the nuts stripped or the studs did. Well the studs were fine, and I couldn't find any nuts. But the threads of the studs didn't have the remains of the nut's threads left on them, like would happen if the nuts stripped. there was just a slight bit of aluminum dust from the wheel rubbing on them on its way off.

I was lucky that I had a spare tire and a spare set of lug nuts. I was able to turn around and bring the trailer back to the shop. Now I'm stuck trying to decide if I dare to head out on the trip again or not, since I don't really know what happened. I don't know if the weight of the truck on the old trailer cause it, or if the aluminum wheels flexed a bit under the weight, or what. For now I'll be checking around to see if I can find a larger trailer to rent or borrow. There is no place that rents anything except little U-haul stuff up here, and I don't know many people in this area, so I think I'm a bit out of luck. AAARRRGGG!!!! I have a custmer waiting for this thing!!! (good thing hes a friend of mine!)

Anyone ever have a wheel come off like this?

Jim
Old 09-01-2005, 11:27 PM

It sounds to me like the wheel was not completely flush against the hub even though you cranked on the nuts. After your first turn it probobaly popped in, resulting in loose lug nuts. Bolt that sucker back on and take it on a 20 mile test drive and then recheck the lugs.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:39 PM

You might be right....but I didn't mention that where I did the bearings was a 50 mile drive on a very bumpy road from our shop, so the trailer had 50 miles of use between doing the bearings and loading the truck (and checking the lugs again). I might give it another try. I want to test it by bringing it down to my in-laws, near where we now live (the 50 mile trip). Thats where I was headed today, and I was planning on heading out on the rest of the trip (another 180 miles going this direction) another day.

I'd still like to find a better trailer. This truck is pushing the limits of the trailer. I know the trailer is rated at 10,000 lbs., but when I compare it to other trailers, it compares to more like an 8,000 lb. trailer. I woould estimate the ramp truck at 8,000 lbs. Not to mention that the ramp truck has a 17 foot body, plus the cab, so it overhangs the rear of the 16-foot trailer quite a bit. Here are pics of the ramp truck (in action) and trailer.

Considering the distance I need to go, I'm going to do my best to come up with a larger trailer. I need to get hold of a guy my stepson knows with a 20 foot 12,000# equipment trailer that would work great. Hopefully he'll rent it to me.

Jim
Old 09-05-2005, 02:21 PM
GSP

Ive had those chrome lug nuts for aluminum rims strip the threads. Those chrome lug nuts are made of crappy metal and strip very easy.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As mentioned the chrome lugs can get pretty junky. Its one major reason Ive never run aluminum wheels again other than Centerlines that I used regular type lugs. A friend had purchased a 93 CTD 4x4 when they came out, his pride and joy.He installed some custom rims with the real thick lug area, Loaded his overhaed camper and a few thousand miles later lost the left rear wheel. Just ripped the lugs out and wasted the truck in back, plus the undies he was wearing Steelies for me from then on.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:39 PM

I might hunt around and look for a set of steel wheels for the trailer. For now I have changed the plan for the ramp truck. The rollback body is aluminum...for the $1000 I was going to get for the truck, minus the 400 mile round trip to deliver it, I'm just going to remove the body and sell it as scrap aluminum. Then sell the Isuzu 4 cyl. diesel, use the fuel tank as an aux. tank for the Ram, put the hydraulic winch on the Ram, and junk the rest. All without headaches or pushing the limits of the trailer. Too bad...it was a decent truck that did a good amount of work.

Jim
Old 09-07-2005, 08:59 AM

Too bad your having problems and had to change your plans. Lug nuts are cranked down hard. Someplace you should be able to find the troque specifications. Many lug torque numbers are 150 ft/lbs. That is hard to get using a ratchet wrench. This is why lug wrenches are much longer than a standard wrench. I us a calibrated foot *standing* on my lug wrench when I install the lugs.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:12 AM

I just used the ratched for the "first round" tightening them. Then I went around them with a 1/2" LONG Mac breaker-bar. I know i got them all to 125 lbs. or tighter...probably more like 150. The guy called me back today who was interested in buying it. Apparently he REALLY wants the truck, and is willing to pay for renting a trailer (I located a 6-ton) and paying for the pintle drawbar for my truck to pull it with. Now I have to check on that. I was getting excited about having that hydraulic winch on the front of my Ram though!!!

Jim