Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Trailer selection--Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 03:54 PM
RAW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Trailer selection--Help!

I know that there are dozens of these threads, and I've read most of them.
But I still can't decide.

Maybe the DTR "collective" can guide me in my specific situation.

I now own a 2006 QuadCab, Shortbed 3500 4x4 w/6spd.
The truck has the factory tow package. I have added an A.R.E. Z-series truck cap. I also have a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller.
For tagalong pulling, I have an air-ride hitch, rated for 2,000# tongue weight and 20,000# trailer weight (though I haven't towed more than 11,000# with it) with a 2-5/16 ball.

Most of the time, my towing consists of pulling a 5700# rated utility trailer (tagalong).

But I just purchased a new-to-me tractor. For a while, I will be towing it back and forth between my current home and my home-to-be (about 180 miles each way).
The tractor with its main implement probably weigh approx. 8000#. I'll be weighing it next week to get a more accurate number. But if I buy additional implements . . . I'd like them to fit on the trailer too.
In addition, if I ever find myself in a financial position to get another 4x4 trail-rig, I'd like to have something to haul it on.
So, while the tractor is only 60+ inches wide, a trail rig could be as much as 86 inches wide.
Based on those numbers, I think a deckover is the way to go (though a regular flatbed sure would be cheaper).

Anyway, so if I start looking for a 14000# rated, deckover trailer, I'm not sure which to get: tagalong or gooseneck. Yes, the age-old question.

I know that the gooseneck will pull better.
But . . . it means having to remove the truck-cap everytime I want to use the trailer. And installing a turnover ball in the bed.

The tagalong on the other hand would allow me to leave the cap in place. But . . . with that much weight, I'll have to upgrade my hitch AND add a weight-distribution setup.

So, which do I get? and why?

I think that removing and replacing the cap all the time would be a major PIA. And until our new house is done (which could be a while), I'll basically just be leaving the cap off indefinitely.

But the gooseneck is probably much safer. And doesn't safety trump convenience?

Hmmmmm.

Looking for opinions from other folks here. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:16 PM

I would go gooseneck on this one. Tandem 7000s or 10000s. A trailer is a long term investment, and if properly maintained will provide years of trouble free service. Get a heavily built trailer and it will take much more use and abuse.

Just my $0.019
Old 03-04-2007, 05:24 PM

My gooseneck never gets turned down in my truck, everytime I would turn it down I would need it the next day or two. The ride and pull is so much better.