Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Trailer brake wiring????

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 10:12 PM
RAF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer brake wiring????

Just bought a 6ton trailer with Dexter axles. Someone had cut the wires going to the brakes. I need to know how to wire the brakes. I see there are two wires coming from the backing plate. I assume one is a ground and the other power. Does it matter which one to ground and which one to power? And do I ground to the trailer or back though the plug connector?

Thanks
Rich

P.S. When I put on a new connector I found that The old one was wired wrong. I think this is why the brake wires were cut.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by RAF
Just bought a 6ton trailer with Dexter axles. Someone had cut the wires going to the brakes. I need to know how to wire the brakes. I see there are two wires coming from the backing plate. I assume one is a ground and the other power. Does it matter which one to ground and which one to power? And do I ground to the trailer or back though the plug connector?

Thanks
Rich

P.S. When I put on a new connector I found that The old one was wired wrong. I think this is why the brake wires were cut.
You can ground it to the trailer if the trailer is grounded... (I recommend grounding the trailer if you haven't already done so) It does not matter which wire you choose...
Also it is good to always check the connector for correct wiring any time you borrow or buy a trailer OR after you have loaned your trailer out >> People don't take care of your stuff until they are within your sight... A simple mistake will blow out your delicate power distribution box before you realize there is a problem. (Ask me how I know )
Here is the wiring diagrams

Good luck

Oilguy
Old 03-14-2007, 11:48 PM
Weg

Originally Posted by RAF

Thanks
Rich

The magnets are just an electromagnet, it does not matter which wire you run the power to or which one you run the ground to.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:12 AM

not to be picky but i do not agree with frame grounding any circuit. by all means ground the frame but whenever possible run a 2 wire to trailer lights, brakes ect.most of the vechical elect. problams i see are frame ground related
Clark
Old 03-15-2007, 07:52 PM
RAF

So I can tap all the power wires in series and the grounds in series right? Well at least front to back?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by RAF
So I can tap all the power wires in series and the grounds in series right? Well at least front to back?
Yes....

OG
Old 03-15-2007, 10:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm guessing you didn't mean to imply that they would be wired in series, but they should be wired in parallel...

You can download an excellent manual from Dexter here.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/products___literature
Old 03-16-2007, 04:53 PM
RAF

I emailed dexter because I wasn't able to down load anything off there site.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If they can't help, PM me with an e-mail address and I'll try to send the pdf as an attachment...

Otherwise, you could download Al-Ko's manual, since they are pretty similar.

When you click on the pdf from either, if you are on dial-up it is likely to sit there for a while before opening...

http://www.al-kousa.com/prod_bhd.htm