Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

towing/weights

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
towing/weights

can anyone tell me what the laws are on towing and weights of the truck ,and registeration???
i want to pull a 28' camper trailer,pull behind hitch.
my truck is reg for 4500kg's right now. i am not sure, but i was told that i would need to up my truck weight to pull any trailer and load.the rules keep changing too often, i think i might be over weight now with my car hauler,open bed, and a 4000lbs car/truck on it.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:48 AM

It all depends on the province. RVs may not be a problem but the there will be a definite issue with your RGW with the car hauler. Here in Ontario a "mobile home" is exempt from the RGW calculaton but a car hauler and anything on it is not.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:44 AM

Don't know Canadian requirements.

(1) Review your dorr jam data plate for GVWR (*rating)
(2) Weigh your empty truck w/full fuel and you in it
(3) Subtract the CURB (scale wt) from the RATING = available for payload or pin weight
(4) Obtain curb weight of proposed trailer as well as the weight rating of the proposed trailer. If you have the trailer, weight it attached to the truck, subtract the (previous) truck weight = not only total curb weight of trailer, but you will also see amount of weight transferred to the truck.

You need to stay within your RATINGS (individual & combined) for truck & trailer. You need to make sure your axle RATINGS for truck are not exceeded.
You then need to assure you are properly tagged and insured for same.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by pullin hard
can anyone tell me what the laws are on towing and weights of the truck ,and registeration???
i want to pull a 28' camper trailer,pull behind hitch.
my truck is reg for 4500kg's right now. i am not sure, but i was told that i would need to up my truck weight to pull any trailer and load.the rules keep changing too often, i think i might be over weight now with my car hauler,open bed, and a 4000lbs car/truck on it.
The weight you refer to is your GVWR. You need to be concerned about your Cross Combined weight when towing. Unless your camper is one heavy pig you won't be over. You are not over with your car hauler either. For questions regarding this stuff, the best source of info I've found is the guys at the scales. They've answered any questions I've ever had regarding laws.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:29 PM

had a buddy that went to the scales to find out stuff, and get answers, he brought his trailer, dumb move, he walked away with lots of fines!!!!
i want to haul a 24" enclosed car hauler, with nothing in it, just want to use it to sleep in when i go to the Nascar races in Bristol. the trailer had a sticker on it, but not sure if it does anymore, and my truck is reg for 4500kg, and no yellow as of yet, i am thinking i might have to do it, to pull my open bed trailer with about 5000lbs on it, which is about max for that trailer anyway.
just wondering if i am going to have a problem with this empty trailer???
not my trailer, renting it, and don't want problems.
also, will i have to go over the scales with this unit???
my truck is personal use, not a business or anything, reg to me.