Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Towing Weight Limitations vs. the Law

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Towing Weight Limitations vs. the Law

How about the Jacobs Exhaust Brake? Just had mine installed, seems to work, but in addition to the wooshing out the back (most notable at idle & engaged) the dealer and I hear a very loud whistle from the area of the actual exhaust brake engine compartment, bottom right side. They don't know if it is normal or not. First one they installed. Any ideas? Now running 10.5' slide in camper weighing #3,000. Next stop-Ride Rite air springs!
Old 03-21-2003, 07:13 AM

You may have a leak around the flange. The increased backpressure will really test the joints. Look for soot building up around the flange over time.<br><br>Of course, it could normal for your particular setup. ???
Old 03-21-2003, 09:11 AM

TSW5150,<br> I have the exhaust brake on mine. I have the wooshing sound out the back and from the side. I do not hear any whistling sound.<br> FWIW Randy
Old 03-21-2003, 09:26 AM

First and foremost, thanks to all of you for your comments. It helps a lot. Second, the decision has been made to hire someone else. Why? To much risk. Yes, the truck will pull it fine and everything could go perfect with no problems. But since I was already involved in one accident (note: wasn't my fault) and seen first hand what insurance companies and attorneys can do to add to problems, I decided it wasn't worth the trouble. Also, note here in N.C. if you pull a trailer over 10,000 lbs, you must have a Class &quot;A&quot; license or higher. Insurance related, insurance companies are starting to require commercial insurance for 1 ton trucks. And as already mentioned earlier (thanks), not conforming to vehicle manufacturer guidelines / standards will result in a voided policy (taking a closer look and reading the 100 pages of my insurance policy). And just think how many people on the N.C. highways that do this...geez! But as the old saying goes, &quot;It only takes once&quot;. Thanks again!
Old 03-27-2003, 04:07 PM

j28s,<br> I am curious about what happened after the accident.<br> Is the problem you had based on not having a Class A liscense pulling a trailer weighing over 10,000lbs? <br> If that is the reason how did they determine your trailer was over 10,000 lbs. Was it from manufacturers ratings or did they actually weight it? <br> Thanks Randy
Old 03-29-2003, 06:58 AM

Here in Georgia, I spent weeks, like you, to find the answer to another question ???. What type license do I need for my vehicle and trailler? I finally got to upper level Fed and State Motorsafety persons, and a Georgia Motorsafety Enforcement Captain who all, independently, agreed as to what type of license I was required to have.

The enforcement people seem to be the most knowledgeable, and they should, since they are the ones who give out the ticket. I documented names and phone numbers and retain e-mails in my glove box 8).

Here in Ga. a farmer hauling for himself with a GVWR truck at 12,000 and a trailer GVWR at 12,200 does not require a CDL because he is less than 26,001 which is where the CDL requirement begins. Since the vehicles are over 10,000 they are considered commercial here. So ,for private use only, all I (and wife) need is a regular drivers license, plus a DOT medical exam and certificate, and a log book filled in if I go over 100 miles from home.
Old 03-29-2003, 05:01 PM

When I first thought about buying a dually I called my insurance guy to find out about rates . At that time I asked him if there was anything different about the gvwr of the dually being 11,500 lbs. At first he said he wasn't sure then he recalled it was not a problem as long as I stay under 26,000 lbs.
The thing I was wondering about j28s's post was, when he first realized the insurance company or whoever it was was questioning the accident and how they decided there was a reason for such an assertion that they might not pay him. Did someone decide looking at the paperwork from the wreck that they could start questioning their responsibility to pay or did it occur earlier just after the accident?
I have always heard of the &quot;story&quot; about an insurance company not wanting to pay because of the weight of a truck and trailer but never first hand like this.
Randy
Old 03-31-2003, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=MrBilly link=board=11;threadid=12369;start=15#121793 date=1048942709]<br>Here in Georgia, I spent weeks, like you, to find the answer to another question ???. What type license do I need for my vehicle and trailler? I finally got to upper level Fed and State Motorsafety persons, and a Georgia Motorsafety Enforcement Captain who all, independently, agreed as to what type of license I was required to have. <br><br>The enforcement people seem to be the most knowledgeable, and they should, since they are the ones who give out the ticket. I documented names and phone numbers and retain e-mails in my glove box 8).<br><br>Here in Ga. a farmer hauling for himself with a GVWR truck at 12,000 and a trailer GVWR at 12,200 does not require a CDL because he is less than 26,001 which is where the CDL requirement begins. Since the vehicles are over 10,000 they are considered commercial here. So ,for private use only, all I (and wife) need is a regular drivers license, plus a DOT medical exam and certificate, and a log book filled in if I go over 100 miles from home. <br>[/quote]<br><br>I will give you fact in Georgia and Alabama as I have been through it. Please take note that there is not a different defination of the law in Georgia. If your vehicle is considered &quot;commercial&quot; or has commercial plates then they add the truck gross vehicle weight rating from the door post and add it to the trailer gross vehicle weight rating from the sticker on the trailer. If this adds to over 26,000 pounds you better have a CDL or you could be liable for a $5,000 fine. Stop at any open scale on the interstate and ask them. The charge is driving a CMV with no CDL. The owner of the truck is also liable for a $5,000 fine. I can send you a copy of a citation for a truck that weighed a total of 14,400 when the citation was issued. I am sure that the fine will not be that much but this charge is considered a &quot;serious&quot; safety violation and your insurance will consider it this way. Search the web for the &quot;Georgia Code&quot; and you will find this written. This is the way to answer any of your questions, go to the law, not someones interpertation of it. In court it is the written law that counts.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:48 PM

I just bought a newer 5th wheel and was looking for all the particulars (GVWR, GVW, GCWR, etc.), and when I found the tag, it was so faded that I couldn't read hardly anything. So, I e-mailed Coachmen RV and asked if they could give me these readings. All I had to send them was the serial #. I received this answer: &quot;Thank you for contacting us here at Coachmen Service. Your GVWR is 11,220 lbs, base weight is 8,834 lbs, the axel weight is 7,094 lbs, the hitch weight is 1,740 lbs, and the carry capacity weight is 2,386 lbs.&quot;

My question is, does this seem right? My trailer is 29.5' and has a 6' slide at the rear. It is the high profile (stand up bedroom). And if all is right, am I legal with a GVWR of 8800 for the truck??????

Thanks
Grampaw
Old 05-21-2003, 02:44 PM

I got lost along the way.<br><br>Did he say it was a boat he was hauling?<br><br>Must be some boat.<br><br>Heck I will haul it as long as I can use it for a while.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:31 PM

i haul commercially and all i can say is the laws suck,they have no clue from one thing to the next, especialy in maryland.if you haul commercially and your weight is over 26,0001lbs. for a 1 ton dually ,your overweight,any higher than that requires a cdl plus a heavier truck.now if your hauling your own travel trailer ,i think it wouldn't matter because its a private thing and your not making money with it. i know some scales want all vehicles over 5 ton gvw to enter scales and some want just commercial vehicles over 5 tons.if all d.o.t. regulations are the same across the U.S. ,why do some of the state's pick and choose the type's of vehicles,either take all vehicles over 5 ton or just commercial over 5 ton? i know that for me i need a medical card, d.o.t. number,and a log book.(only if i go 100 miles from my terminal) i probably left some things out since this is a touchy subject for me ,cause i found out the hard way about scales. i did find my solution thou ,i know how to get around them now.
Old 05-25-2003, 11:13 PM

In Pa. it's CDL if your truck and trailer weigh over 26000 gcvw, commercial or private, except farmers and motor homes. I have a 11,000 gvw truck and a 12,000 gvw trailer and haul 3 Jeeps. I sits over the bed and adds 3500 to the rear of the truck and the other 2 sit over the trailer axles. The truck is front axle 4500 the rear is 6000 and the trailer 11,000. You can haul commercial as long as you are under 26,000 gcvw. It even states this on the back of our drivers license. Class C is single/combo&lt;26,000. All states are supposed to use the weight ratings on the door post. With my Dodge I could legally rate it up 33,000-36,000 gcvw. That's 11,000 for the truck and 22,000-25,000 for the trailer. They do not go by the manufactures weight in the owners manual.