Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Towing with a trailer height more than 13'

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing with a trailer height more than 13'

Would like to hear from anyone that has experience towing a 5th wheel with a height of 13' or more. Looks like I will have to do the "flip the axle routine"...this "might" be a problem as the trailer is now at 12' 9".

Really would appreciate some input from someone that is experienced in this.

Thanks
Geof
Old 11-14-2003, 06:18 PM
Chapter President

Re:Towing with a trailer height more than 13'

Most semi trailers are 13'6" and they damage the roofs and upper rails all the time from low hanging trees and overhangs

You'll need to be carefull with a RV at 13' anytime your off a marked truck route.....on side streets you'll find trees that overhang the road...cable tv....and phone wires hang low

Old 11-14-2003, 06:52 PM

IF I flip the axles..the trailer will be at 13'3" ;( 99% of my travel is on the interstate(66, 17, 81, 84, 95..from FL to VT.) problems, problems

[quote author=geof link=board=11;threadid=22436;start=0#msg209736 date=1068853978]
Would like to hear from anyone that has experience towing a 5th wheel with a height of 13' or more. Looks like I will have to do the "flip the axle routine"...this "might" be a problem as the trailer is now at 12' 9".

Really would appreciate some input from someone that is experienced in this.

Thanks
Geof
[/quote]
Old 11-14-2003, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going from 12'9" to 13'3" should not make the pucker factor any worse. At 12'9" you already have to watch any low bridges or limbs that the higher trailer has to watch. As was posted, 13'6" is the max standard hight and all freeways will clear this. Most freeway bridges are over 14 or more. I used to carry wing boxes from San Antonio to Los Angles area and the only bridge that would not clear 14'4" was the San Antonio beltway bridge on the northeast corner.

Just for the record the federal standards hold that telephone and other utility wires must be over 14 foot high. I took down the main phone trunk line behind the Denny's in Scottsdale, Az in the early eightys. They tried to make a stink about it, but legally the line was too low so it did not go down as an accident. No claims were made to Eagle Motor Lines insurance. That said, I did not manage to get my stacks fixed by the phone company either.

Know this though, pulling anything over 11 foot or so, you need to always be on the lookout for low branches and wires.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:57 PM
Chapter President

What kind if input from someone that is experienced in this....are you asking for....other then being careful of low bridges and low trees pulling a 13' trailer is no differant then pulling a 12' trailer

My 5th wheel is 12'10" tall because of the A/C on the bedroom and I have been on truck routes that I couldnt get under a overpass because of repaving on the road over many years added 9-12" of pavement and they never changed the clearance signs
Old 11-14-2003, 10:33 PM

A lot of fivers are approaching 13 feet or more. Learn to recognize what 13 feet is and watch the signs. I stick to truck routes whenever possible with my 13'2" rig. So far so good.

Casey
Old 11-15-2003, 10:09 AM

Thanks to everyone that has replied so far. Please keep sharing, I need to make sure I don't "overlook" anything. Would also like to hear from anyone that has done the "axle flip" using the Dexter kit.

Thanks again.
Geof
Old 11-15-2003, 01:15 PM
Banned

You will need to be really, really carefull. And this will limit your route selection to almost solely interstate, and major roadways. Be especally carefull at night. Our local WALMART was wanting to limit rv's and simi's from parking in there lots, I take it mainly the overnighters. Anyhow, they had a local contractor install a huge (5-6" diameter heavey wall pipe) entrance guard on booth of the main entrances to there lot. This pipe was on each side of the drive, maybe 3-4' from the edge, and attached to a concrete base. Then they went up and 90'ed accross at a height of 10'-6" and meet, so anything that entered would have to be less then 10'-6" in height. Well knowone expected it to be there (RV'ers from out of the area) and it wasn't lighted, so the first weekend 8 trailers lost there roofs. There was such a up-roar over it, that that next week, the contractor was back to remove it. Bootom line is be very carefull, this was just one example of what to look out for, and how easy it is to get into trouble. You at your height, will have to constantly be looking ahead.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:22 PM
Chapter President

How could Wally World do that ???? they get delivery's from tractor trailers to their store.....I would think Wally World corp would tell them thats a big No No
Old 11-16-2003, 07:37 AM
Banned

Yes they do get deliveries, but those go to the back of the store where the loading docks are, this was for the front.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:16 PM

Geof, I've got a 30 foot Nash travel trailer with flipped axles, using the Dexter kit. Did it last spring, because I tow the trailer off-road and needed the ground clearence. Gained about 5 1/2 inches. I've noticed absolutely no difference in handling or swaying -- even when the rigs pass me at 80 mph on the interstate. Of course, I'm towing with a 3500 4x4 and a Reese dual cam hitch. But the lift turned out good because of the rear deck height of the 4x4, which is lifted itself. The Dexter kit is strong and sensibly made. It's held up in the rocks on jeep trails, believe it or not, also on lots of dirt roads.

Haven't run into anything top side, either. Top of the air conditioner is 13 feet even. You do have to be a bit more careful and "know" how tall the trailer is, but I've towed the unit back and forth across the U.S. twice now without incident, interstates, two lane blacktop, Wally World parking lots, and campgrounds. If you're unsure, stop and look.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:56 PM
DPG

I had the axles on my 31' fiver flipped two years ago, using the Dexter kit, and it has worked out great. Tows absolutely the same as before, no extra sway, no loss of stability, etc. I gained about 4 1/2 inches in height. The only difference I have noticed: the first step getting into the trailier is 4 1/2 inches higher, too.

DeWain
Old 11-16-2003, 03:23 PM

Thank you very much...this is the type of info I'm looking for!!

[quote author=Tartarus link=board=11;threadid=22436;start=0#msg210238 date=1069010211]
Geof, I've got a 30 foot Nash travel trailer with flipped axles, using the Dexter kit. Did it last spring, because I tow the trailer off-road and needed the ground clearence. Gained about 5 1/2 inches. I've noticed absolutely no difference in handling or swaying -- even when the rigs pass me at 80 mph on the interstate. Of course, I'm towing with a 3500 4x4 and a Reese dual cam hitch. But the lift turned out good because of the rear deck height of the 4x4, which is lifted itself. The Dexter kit is strong and sensibly made. It's held up in the rocks on jeep trails, believe it or not, also on lots of dirt roads.

Haven't run into anything top side, either. Top of the air conditioner is 13 feet even. You do have to be a bit more careful and "know" how tall the trailer is, but I've towed the unit back and forth across the U.S. twice now without incident, interstates, two lane blacktop, Wally World parking lots, and campgrounds. If you're unsure, stop and look.
[/quote]
Old 11-16-2003, 03:34 PM

I'd rather deal with the additional step height, than deal with a buckled truck bed. My 5er is a Triumph 31.5G..factory spec. on height is 12'9" (I still need to measure and verify), I figure the "flip" will give me aprox., 51/2"...going to need a Pogo Stick to get into the bloody thing

[quote author=DPG link=board=11;threadid=22436;start=0#msg210253 date=1069016218]
I had the axles on my 31' fiver flipped two years ago, using the Dexter kit, and it has worked out great. Tows absolutely the same as before, no extra sway, no loss of stability, etc. I gained about 4 1/2 inches in height. The only difference I have noticed: the first step getting into the trailier is 4 1/2 inches higher, too.

DeWain
[/quote]
Old 11-17-2003, 01:49 PM

I tow a boat that is 13'4", actually earlier this year it was 14'6" but I have since lowered the radar. In the north east this equals big stress. Even the main roads have low bridges and they are not marked before major intersections requiring long backups to bypass. A good example is Rt 9 in Ct. I have looked and not found map gps programs with bridge height data. It seems like the worst offending bridges are the RR bridges. I try to plan my RR crossings at the interstates and this helps. Low trees are definately a problem and since my 1st 10 miles is always on unimproved (no double yellow or white lines) roads it requires some creative weaving to avoid damage from the tree limbs. I have encountered VERY low wires in Albany NY immediately exiting interstate 87 in. You will have to develope an upward focus in your driving technique!!

Quick Reply: Towing with a trailer height more than 13'