Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Towing, temps and power

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing, temps and power

Hi All<br>I just got back from a trip to the Eastern Sierras and wanted to hear some feedback. I guess I am expecting a little too much from my CTD. Perhaps because it is stock I cannot expect to have results that I see posted here. I was towing a toy box type trailer, weight around 8k or so. I see posts of people driving 65 to 70 mph and I just don't have that kind of power available. In drive I can get up to 65 or 70 but engine is up around 2800-3000 rpm (3.55 gear). This seems a little high. With OD on I can get higher speeds but only on flat ground. I was trying to keep up with a Duramax pulling a 5ver which appeared much bigger and heavier than my trailer and I had trouble keeping up. My tranny and engine temps were also a bit of a problem. A 6 mile 6% grade @ 75F, no AC and I had to keep pulling over to cool down the tranny. The engine temp would be around 215F, and the tranny at about 250F. I would pull over and cool down and would go another 1/4 mile and temps were right back to 250F and 215F. I am new at this so maybe I'm doing something wrong or expecting too much. On the trip home outside temps were 105F to 110F so temps were definitely high(as expected).Sorry for the long post.<br><br>1. What is the max continuous rpm?<br>2. Does the above seem normal?<br>3. When down shifting into 2nd on a steep grade does your tranny seem to get hotter because it is not locking up.<br><br>Before I get the old &quot;you don't need to tow that fast&quot; I would still like to be able to pass if needed.<br>Thanks for the input.<br>
Old 07-12-2003, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Towing, temps and power

I will see if I can shed a little lite on a few things I see wrong....<br>When you are pulling your trailer run in od as long as you are above 2100 rpm....now if you should hit a hill and you are dropping rpm....then lock out od but let the TQ lock up.<br>If you push the throttle pedal down farther it will shift out of TQ lock up and you will be in 2nd gear....this gear does have some slippage by design....but if it really slips badly, then you may have a tranny problem.<br>Keeping the tranny in lockup is your best bet for pulling anything.<br>The engine temp is climbing, due to the tranny temp going so high.....and if the engine is overreving...(2800) this will make temps climb.<br>It sounds to me like you have a tranny slipping excessively.<br>Once you get the tranny problem straightened out the engine temp will come back down.<br>I hope this all helps.<br>Allen
Old 07-12-2003, 10:39 PM

What Allen T said.<br><br>I am in the middle of my vacation right now. I've pulled two hills, 7 miles of 7% each. Just as I start to pull the hill I back out a little, take it out of OD, and keep the RPM about 2100. If I don't do it this way it will get hot, automatically drop out of OD and the tranny temp lite come on. I am aware that I do have excessive slippage in the TC but can't afford a DTT at this time.<br><br>I have an Edge EZ and no other mods. Plenty of power but the tranny won't take it so I just baby it until...............$$$<br><br>Stan
Old 07-14-2003, 10:47 AM

Ok I have an 03' I noticed something here that cought my eye. It was 97 deg F outside, I was pulling a 5000lbs TT. 8% Grade with A/C and my Temp was about 210-220. is that not normal ?
Old 07-14-2003, 01:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My only modifications are the Mopar deep tranny pan and gauges. Pulling over 4000 pounds in Yosemite and then West to the coast with a bunch of different grades, 90+ temperatures, I never saw over 165 on the transmission temperature, and just a fraction over 190 on engine temp. <br><br>Maybe the addition of the finned tranny pan with the extra fluid is making a big difference for me.<br>
Old 07-14-2003, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=routerguy99 link=board=11;threadid=16999;start=0#159702 date=1058197676]<br>Ok I have an 03' I noticed something here that cought my eye. It was 97 deg F outside, I was pulling a 5000lbs TT. 8% Grade with A/C and my Temp was about 210-220. is that not normal ?<br>[/quote]<br>I hope that you are talking about the engine temp was at 210-220. No thats not bad...but needs to be watched.<br>Now if this temp is tranny....Big trouble!!!<br>Allen
Old 07-14-2003, 04:46 PM

Thanks Allen I only have been watching the Water (Engine)Temp. I dont have all those other fancy gauges yet
Old 07-14-2003, 09:04 PM

[quote author=sdscuba link=board=11;threadid=16999;start=0#159791 date=1058208622]<br>My only modifications are the Mopar deep tranny pan and gauges. Pulling over 4000 pounds in Yosemite and then West to the coast with a bunch of different grades, 90+ temperatures, I never saw over 165 on the transmission temperature, and just a fraction over 190 on engine temp. <br><br>Maybe the addition of the finned tranny pan with the extra fluid is making a big difference for me.<br><br>[/quote]<br>sdscuba,<br>Is your temp sensor before or after the tranny cooler and heat exchanger? If I had installed mine as per the instructions, after cooler, I would be reading normal temps. I called the tech support and they said it was personal preference. Seems like most posts I've read about the subject liked having the sensor before the coolers.<br>I noticed today that in 85F stop and go traffic the tranny temp was around 210F. I also noticed when I do any backing with the trailer the temps are very high, 250-260F.<br>I don't know if I'm having real problems or worrying about nothing. Or maybe the gauge reads incorrectly.<br>Next step is to install the deep pan.<br>Thanks <br>I did something and now text is bold, I goofed ???
Old 07-15-2003, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My sensor is in the pan. Thats one of the reasons I purchased the Mopar pan was the hole for the sensor.<br><br>FYI if you purchase the Mopar pan you will need longer bolts for the filter extension and longer pan bolts since the pan is thicker than the stock pan. The pan I bought new from Dodge did not come with the longer bolts. I ended up giving the mechanic threaded rod to use for the filter extension.<br><br>The pan cost $144.46 the tranny service with installing the new pan ran $40.66.