Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Towing a large boat (weight) question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing a large boat (weight) question

Have a question for you experts. My father-in-law has a 30ish foot boat (w/ cuddy cabin). He has someone that is going to let him borrow a trailer to transport his boat (tri-axle), tag along trailer. And he wants to borrow my truck (3500 series). The boat and trailer's weight is roughly 16k to 17k lbs, plus the truck which is close to 8k. So that's roughly 24k to 25k lbs GCW. The trailer has surge brakes (not electric or hydro brakes). Would you guys do it? If he's in an accident and his fault, what could happen to me? Any thoughts and/or scenarios would be appreciated. I think a F550 usually pulls these boats, but he's trying to save a few bucks and do it himself. It's a 350 mile trip each way. Thanks...
Old 02-23-2003, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Towing a large boat (weight) question

Father in law or a friend -You should just do it for him. You should be alright as long as you dont see any of those NCDMV cars, they can be a real pain. If your truck is not tagged for the weight, you could be in trouble $$$$ if you get your weight checked. I have 26k tags. They are really thick along 52 north of Winston. I drive all over the east and midwest hauling horses with farm tags and they stopped me once for going to the grocery store. Surge brakes usually work really well. I can't commit about the legal stuff.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:29 PM

I wouldn't think it would be a problem. There are guys on here that pull more on a regular basis with less truck. Haulin' in Dixie has a 2500 and is regularly 30k+. If it were me, I would do it for him just in case anything does go wrong, you have no one to blame but yourself. Make sure that the brakes on the trailer and truck are in good working condition. Is it a gooseneck trailer? I am not sure I would want to pull if it is not a gooseneck or a 5er. That is alot of weight to be pulling tag-a-long.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:44 PM

I'm no expert, but given the boats size your truck should be alright.<br><br>I'm curious if he has actually weighed the boat/trailer because 15-17k seems to be a lot of weight for a 30'ish cuddy trailer boat. In my experience, many 35 foot sport boats with twin BBC's and nicely equipped cabins don't weigh that much. <br><br>It goes without saying that all the lights and stuff that might contribute you from being stopped are working properly - especially the surge brakes and lights - these are known problem areas on boat trailers. What is the boats beam? You may or may not need a wide load permit. It shouldn't be a big problem but if you are wide there may be certain hours you can pull it (without being stopped), and highway reflector lights can rough on a boats finish. <br><br>You may want to monitor the position of the boat on the trailer. If it is indeed 17k, you don't want to break your trucks reciever or rear end with massive tongue weight; or be too light. My tongue weight is about 5% of boat/trailer weight. Trailer have a spare tire? <br><br>Can't answer any of the legal questions.<br><br>Good luck and drive carefully.