Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Towing hard up hills

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by crobtex
I know where you are. Good area. I've been on horseback throught the Roosevelt, north of Silverthorn, and seen huge herds of elk and a lot of big bulls.

You'll have plenty of places to fill your water tanks after you get close.

Have a good time. Wish I was there.
There is a campground just minutes away with a dump station and water. Why didn't I think of that they might charge me a small fee for water and dump but hey, were ruffin it
Old 08-22-2005, 05:59 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ruffin' it.............to me the Lance slide in is ruffin' it. The Terry TT is like staying at the Hilton.

When I started hunting Colorado back in the early 80's, I had a 7x7 canvas tent. Went from that to a larger, 8x10 tent, to a 9x12 tent, to a pop-up trailer, then an eight foot pop-up slide in. I even camped in my horse trailer a couple of years. It was like being in a steel refrigerator until I got smart and lined the sides with 4x8 sheets of foam insulation. Between the foam and the propane heater, it wasn't too bad. Boy, I sure was tough in my younger days! Not really, just poor and made do with what I had.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by crobtex

Ruffin' it.............to me the Lance slide in is ruffin' it. The Terry TT is like staying at the Hilton.

When I started hunting Colorado back in the early 80's, I had a 7x7 canvas tent. Went from that to a larger, 8x10 tent, to a 9x12 tent, to a pop-up trailer, then an eight foot pop-up slide in. I even camped in my horse trailer a couple of years. It was like being in a steel refrigerator until I got smart and lined the sides with 4x8 sheets of foam insulation. Between the foam and the propane heater, it wasn't too bad. Boy, I sure was tough in my younger days! Not really, just poor and made do with what I had.
Do you really want me to go through my evolution of hunting. Not really but keep reading.

First 2 years were tent camping a 4 man tent and the second year the same 4 man tent with a GP small army issue canvas tent from the 60's. 3rd year I rebuilt by parents old 1967 Bethany Traveling Tee Pee popup if you want to call it that. Still have that one, might be worth some money now that I think about it. 4th 5th and 6th years the wife liked camping but hated the camper so we bought a 95 Colman popup really nice, furnace, cold water only, really nice on those cold nights hunting. Along come the kids and they love camping but it's a lot of work with the popup and limited space sooooo after much wheeling and dealing we sold the Colman and bought a 03 Outback 26rs, qween slide in the rear. Really nice TT every option and yes it is a rolling Hilton but prefer to call it the rolling Ramada. This is the first year with this trailer, I don't know what I'm going to do with the AC on full blast microwaving a bag of popcorn in the middle of the forest with the 3500w Generator running 75' away that you can't hear in the camper. But hey you have to start somewhere
Old 08-22-2005, 10:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like my racing. Used to sleep in the car years ago......now I'm looking at trailers with living quarters.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by P.O.R.
keep it out of O.D. and keep the r.p.m.'s up around 2000 - 2250 down shift acordingly,let er rip, good luck, what are you hunting,we are heading out there for the 2nd gun season for our annual elk hunt.
What is your spedd you are doing at those rpm's?
to keep eithin those rpm's you might only be doing 45mph up the grade. not to good when the speed limit is 65 or 75mph.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by mijpa
What is your spedd you are doing at those rpm's?
to keep eithin those rpm's you might only be doing 45mph up the grade. not to good when the speed limit is 65 or 75mph.
Boy, it probably would be good to start proof reading my post for spelling errors before i send post
Old 08-24-2005, 06:06 PM

4th gear with my manual tranny at 65 m.p.h. is about 2500 r.p.m.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:27 PM

Lock it out of OD and it will climb like a charm. If it starts to slow down, put it in second and take it easy all the way up. It climbs like a goat, and never stops till the top! (Have a great trip!)
Old 08-28-2005, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by TurboTed
Lock it out of OD and it will climb like a charm. If it starts to slow down, put it in second and take it easy all the way up. It climbs like a goat, and never stops till the top! (Have a great trip!)
If you have to put it in 2nd make sure you don't go over 45mph up or down the mountain. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:27 PM

Well we just got back from our hunting trip (no luck) and the truck was fine pulling up I-70 out of Denver with our 7000+ TT fully loaded. I let the auto tranny do it's thing and it was fine, I tried to leave it in 3rd locked but it slipped out a few times when the speed dropped so peddel to the floor for a few seconds and it would lockup again. I checked the tranny fluid after the haul up and it was pink and fresh but my question here is on the top of the dip stick the fluid was in the OK range but on the bottom, underside, of the stick it was below the fill line. Should I put in about 1/2 quart of ATF or leave it. It would sometimes unloaded pop out or 4th locked into 3rd for just a second and back into 4th locked.

I love this truck now.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:57 AM

EZ EDGE EZ EDGE EZ EDGE!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2005, 09:27 AM

IF the pan is filled to proper amount, both side of the dipstick should read the same. Sounds like your low on tranny fluid, over filling a little doesn't hurt. J Body said it best, EZ.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:24 AM
Administrator

I had the chance to tow up and over Afton mountain on I-64 this past week. This was the first time with the DD2's added to the EZ and I was amazed that RATTLIN never came out of OD till I had to drop down to 60mph for slower traffic. I had the cruise set on 65 and the EGT's held at 1200* running a steady 60. Traffic cleared in the left hand lane, so I locked out OD and sent the needle to 75mph,,,,,,, Just cause I could! (Wifey made me settle back down as we topped the hill,,,,,) I never start down the other side at anything over 60-65mph anyways.... BTW,,,, tranny temp never raised up from where it had been normally running at 170*

The best part was watching the folks who were stopped at the Over-Look, turn around to see that "Cute Little Blue Truck" and 5er roll by just a singing out the straight pipe.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:05 AM
Chapter President

2500 Ram

That's a beautiful place up there huh? Born and raised there actually. My dad was the county (Grand County) Judge and is still the town attorney for Winter Park, Fraiser, Granby, and Grand Lake.

The fiance and I go up there quite a bit to camp and take the dogs for a hike. the picture of the dogs and the woman is on the hike up to the falls inbetween Grand Lake and Granby

As for the long hills to get there, yeah they can be a pain. But i wouldn't leave Colorado for anything. Next time you go up, keep in mind that you can always stop at some of the beautiful rest areas that look down into the valley, so you could work the truck a little bit harder and then give her a rest. I tow two jeeps at quite a lot of weight, possibly over, up those hills on I-70 all the way to Moab. Just let the truck work and watch for problems. If you don't have gauges, get um. Best investment yet. Its a warning to take a break.
Enjoy the Mtns.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Automatic screws it up a bit but the old rule to make it easy on the truck and engine is never to climb a long hill floored. You down gear just enough to allow it to climb at part throttle. Engine temperature comes down, egt's come down, mileage comes up. You climb at the speed that the truck wants to handle at part throttle.

Quick Reply: Towing hard up hills