Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Towing a car one way cross country?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Towing a car one way cross country?

I guess I could just load the atv in the truck bed. Only prob is you cant see anything in the rearview once it's there.

Sounds like 16ft might be the size I should look at. How wide generally should I consider?
Old 12-05-2003, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote author=Lightman link=board=11;threadid=23239;start=30#msg218819 date=1070658827]
I guess I could just load the atv in the truck bed. Only prob is you cant see anything in the rearview once it's there.
[/quote]

haha I got the rearview mirror delete option!
Old 12-06-2003, 12:37 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I suppose you could run back to the uhaul place and rent a trailer...
Then run down to Home Depot and buy a couple two by ten's and lay them and fasten them on the car hauler deck. there by giving your self a little more clearance for all the crap under the car. Follow earlier suggestions and back the trailer up to a hill to load.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:39 AM

haha, what's a hill? I dont think we have those here in FL =]
Old 12-06-2003, 12:42 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Hmmm... That's ALL we have around here...
Old 12-07-2003, 07:03 PM

Lightman,

Just rent yourself the uhaul (like someone else said, tell them its a project car). Use the gentle slope of your driveway (as seen in your posted pic) along with some well placed wood to get your car on the trailer. Its the easiest and cheapest way to do it. If you need to drag the ATV as well, get it in the bed. You don't need to rearview mirror. With my MB on a trailer, all I see is 10 ton winch and grille. ;D

If you are set on getting a trailer, a 16 footer with dual axles and brakes on both axles. You can get some with drop axles and some nice long ramps to get those low vehicles on. These will generally have a 6000 lb or so capacity.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:01 PM

Lightman,
Just my .02. I haul a Nova on an 18' flatbed with 7' ramps that store under the deck. One thing I have noticed is that alot of raod debris ends up on the car. If you can afford to get an enclosed trailer, it would be well worth it for the Benz. I use a 6" drop hitch with the Convert-A-Ball system, and the truck does not even break a sweat. I have to come to Florida sometime in the spring to get a boat, or I would love to come down and haul her back for you.

Tiny
Old 12-10-2003, 02:11 PM

My brother had built a jack axle for his 914 when he used to race it. He would jack up the car and put little dollies under the front wheels, and still be able to drive the car up the ramp.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:17 PM

Ryder rents trailers also, if a dealer is close to you, check them out maybe their trailers will work better for you
Old 12-12-2003, 12:33 PM

Thanks helicopter Dan. I checked that out a few days ago, and their car hauler looks a little more tame, like it would fit. However, they mandate that their car hauler be towed behind their trucks only, whereas uhaul will let you tow it behind your own vehicle. I may just end up renting a big ryder truck to move all my stuff in and tow the car behind that. One part of me really wants to 'have' to buy a trailer so I'll have a cool new toy, but realistically I dont have a place to store it free or nearby up there. Oh well, hopefully she'll fit on a ryder.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:48 PM

lol if you want I'll store your trailer for free, but please get a 22 foot long trailer. And I do live kinda far from you but hey its free storage lol oh btw I live in Nebraska lol just kidding
Old 01-12-2004, 03:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Getting your own trailer sounds like a good idea. He who dies with the most toys wins!

However, it sounds like you have your heart set on the U-haul car hauler. Someone already mentioned most of this but here's what I'd do if I were in your shoes:

1. Tell UHaul you're moving a Ford Pinto or AMC Rambler. It's none of their business. What are they, the Gubment?

2. Buy the required amount of 2x6s to lay in the wheel tracks of the trailer to raise your MB above the wheel track walls. I would leave as much of the wheel track wall exposed as possible to aide in side slipping (worst case). Those U-haul car haulers use a nylon web over the front tires to secure the car. Anyway, mine came loose after several hundred miles so be sure and check it at each fuel stop.

3. Use a curb or sloped driveway to minimize the ramp slope on the trailer when loading/unloading.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:49 PM

I have seen some sweet car hauler trailers and would love to have one, however I'll only need to transport the car this one time, and don't have a place to store it once I move up north - short of renting a space for it at a local storage facility..

HandymanTim - as far as hooking up the tie downs on the uhaul trailer - you say there's a web for the front tires... Do you have to be pulled all the way up to the tire stops on the trailer for these to work adequately? I think the front lower lip of my front bumper may hit them. I may just suck it up and pay $50 to rent one for a day and give it a shot.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:11 PM

For 550. I think I would let the car hauler come and get it . That way it would be insured and all and between the extra fuel and the cost of renting a trailer you are prolly not to much out of pocket difference. Besides if you rent a trailer there is nothing saying the maint. is good so you still have to go through it if you want to protect your car. Just a different way to look at it
Old 01-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Banned

We have U-Haul and Ryder up hear that rent trucks and trailers. The Ryder people have a very nice all aluminum car trailer that has a flat floor, and comes with a bever tail. It would haul your car just fine. I live in Florence, KY just 12 mile south of Cincinnatti Ohio. Just thought it might help.

Quick Reply: Towing a car one way cross country?