Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Towing a car one way cross country?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 02:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Towing a car one way cross country?

Hey guys. I am moving to Cleveland in May, and I was thinking I'd tow my mb diesel behind the cummins on the way up. The big problem/question is, where/how can I rent a trailer to do this? I contacted uhaul about their car-hauler trailers, even drove the MB down there, and they said it's too low. their trailers have rails for the wheels and steep ramps etc, they said my car is much too low for their trailers and they would not rent it to me because it would do lots of underbody damage. > Just wondering if anyone knows of another way to rent a trailer or tow my car from FL to OH? Figured guys around here would have experience or a few ideas. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Towing a car one way cross country?

how about a tow dolly?
Old 12-04-2003, 07:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lightman,
Did you actually try loading the MB on the Uhaul trailer? Last year a buddy of mine loaded his Porsche 911 on a Uhaul car trailer. The ramps was a little too steep so he backed the trailer to the edge of his driveway and that decreased the approach angle.

MikeyB
Old 12-04-2003, 08:28 AM

MikeyB, no I didn't actually try loading it. The guy came and showed me a tow dolly next to my car, and it was clear the underbody would take some damage.The car is very low in the front, easily as low as a 911 or lower. The tow dollys at uhaul have the same apparatus as the car haulers unfortunately. Plus at $275 a tire, I'd rather have the car off the ground.. Any other ideas guys? How much would an appropriate flatbed trailer cost? I'm starting to think that just having a transport company ship the car is going to be the cheapest route.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:45 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

Another option is to use one of those companies that drive your car to your destination. Come to think of it, pay my expenses and I will do it for you.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:04 AM

if you got a benzo...then you got cash...y not buy a trailer for under 1800 bucks....take it with you to cleveland and then if you dont want it...sell it. or

do the project car thing to uhaul.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:55 AM

[quote author=midwestdually link=board=11;threadid=23239;start=0#msg218041 date=1070550264]
if you got a benzo...then you got cash...y not buy a trailer for under 1800 bucks....take it with you to cleveland and then if you dont want it...sell it. or

do the project car thing to uhaul.
[/quote]

Midwestdually LMAO - now thats a funny generalization you make about mb's. If I did at one point have 'cash', I spent it all on my new 04 cummins! By the way a new cummins costs more than 2 or 3 mercedes models these days.. :-

I've thought about buying a cheap trailer, but I have nowhere to store it when I move up north, it will take some time to sell it, and the cost of an auto transport company is only about $550. I just thought the Uhaul option would be a little cheaper.

Basically I'm looking for the cheapest way to get my car there safely...
Old 12-04-2003, 12:16 PM

How about mounting some el cheapo reeeeallly tall tires (temporary) on the wheels to permit it to roll up on the trailer?
Old 12-04-2003, 12:23 PM

BulaBula - good idea but dont think it will work...the car has 18" AMG wheels and barely fits it's low profile tires...
Old 12-04-2003, 12:28 PM

Hey Lightman, how about mailing me a Southwest Airline ticket. I'll drive it to Cleveland for you, and borrow it for the weekend visiting friends. I'll find my own way home

I'm cheap, and safe! LOL
Old 12-04-2003, 12:37 PM

[quote author=bulabula link=board=11;threadid=23239;start=0#msg218144 date=1070562480]
Hey Lightman, how about mailing me a Southwest Airline ticket. I'll drive it to Cleveland for you, and borrow it for the weekend visiting friends. I'll find my own way home

I'm cheap, and safe! LOL
[/quote]

LOL, oh he wants to roll around in the E eh? 8) Actually I could drive it up there myself, which may be what happens...it's just I'd rather save the miles on the tires etc and give my cummins a little workout (i never tow heavy) at the same time.

Those texas rollback type trailers would be PERFECT but they're expensive as heck and I dont know anywhere that would rent such a thing one-way..
Old 12-04-2003, 12:48 PM

Here she is. Not much room for any BFG's
Old 12-04-2003, 12:48 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Just a thought here, but I had a brother in law that moved from maine to California. He rented the largest U-Haul truck he could get and then loaded his car in the back of it , along with his stuff.

It was a Toyota wagon of some kind as I recall. he just went to a local warehouse with a loading dock, and was able to drive the car on and off.

Worked for him.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:58 PM

Nice ride! Now I really want to drive it for you!

Ummmm, okaaaaay, how about installing a Class IV hitch/receiver on the E; then mounting a tow bar on the Dodge. Put the Xfer case in N, and pull the big boy slowly to its new home?

Boy could I share some "sailor" stories about putting cars in Uhaul vans. But I won't.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:30 PM

What is the ground clearance on there? I just helped my friend's dad bring his Lexus LS400 to the shop and we had no clearance issues. The driveway idea to reduce the angles would work too.

I would NOT put that car or almost any car on a dolly for as many miles as it is from FL to OH (over 1000) for many reasons!

I am in FL a lot (parents have a house in Vero)... I can't say I have any clue what I'll be doing in May but I would tow it up to OH for you for less than a commercial car carrier given the circumstances are right!

Quick Reply: Towing a car one way cross country?