Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

towing 5th wheel with flatbed 2500 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
towing 5th wheel with flatbed 2500 4x4

I am in the process of purchasing a Desert Fox 2007 30-5J. I have a 2007 Dodge 4x4 2500 short bed 4 door. Cummings equipped with 6 speed tranny and adjustable air bags in the rear. The height to the top of the bed rails is 57inches with the air bags deflated. Other Dodge trucks I have measured are the same. No big tires no lift kit on my rig completely stock.

The height to the bottom deck portion of the 5th wheel is 57 inches as measured by the dealer. How will this truck fit under the 5th wheel?? This is the measurement given by the dealer and I am relying on him as I am several states away.

I know the truck will settle as the 1800 lbs. of hitch weight is loaded on the truck but will the tail gate and bed rails inter-fear with the 5th wheel deck over the bed of the truck?? Travel on level ground is not a problem but pulling into the wrong place for fuel and a large dip causing the bed rail and the 5th wheel to collide is what I am worried about.

I've considered a flat bed but then the bed deck height would be 6-8 inches higher (but no bed rails) than in my truck bed now. A 5th wheel hitch I believe would be to high. Maybe convert the 5th wheel king pin to goose neck for the ball in the flat bed using a coupler from pop up hitch.

Anyway if someone who has one could help I need it, as I'm out of ideas.

1. Who has a Desert Fox 30-5J and what are you towing it with?

2. How much clearance is between the bed rails and 5th wheel deck?

3. How much clearance is needed between the bed rails and 5th wheel?

4. With your 30-5J on level ground what is the height of the 5th wheel deck?

5 What is the height of the bottom of the king pin to the ground?

6. Anyone converted their 5th wheel to a goose neck? Pros and Cons?

Thanks for the help.

Current time is 08:01 am
Old 10-01-2008, 01:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I think someone measured wrong.

Anyway, I would want 6 or 7 inches clearance between the bedrails and bottom of the 5th wheel, minimum. More if you are going rough places.

I'm not a big fan of those adapters to use a goose ball with a 5th wheel trailer. The adapter acts like a cheater bar, multilying the force that is put on the 5er's frame. The B&W companion works well, however (attaches to the socket of their turn over ball hitch).

As far as flatbeds go, usually the hitch is mounted to a plate of steel attached to the truck's frame, and the bed comes with a trap door to make a flat bed when the hitch is removed.

B&W makes a bed, though, with their turn-over goose ball built in, and they make a special (shorter) companion 5th wheel hitch that fits that socket.

Anyway, I'd bet the dealer mis-measured, or doens't have the trailer level.

Also, many trailers have adjustable suspension so you could make it ride higher so it rides level w/plenty of room above the bed. Many people also modify their trailers by welding new spring perches on the top of the axle, and relocating the trailer's axles from above to below the springs.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:05 PM

5 inches MINIMUM ,my pin is 1400 and i do use a conversion you will find the trailer has more side roll on a gooseneck ball ,floater 5th hitches can only pivot so far before they stop...
Old 10-01-2008, 09:29 PM

we have 7 inches clearance for bed rails this seems adequate we take it desert racing just exercise caution. we relocated our spring attachments to a lower hole which lifted the trailer. we also put taller equalizers between the springs which gave two more inches. the other thing i strongly recommend is buying a trailer that comes with 16 inch rims. they give more lift and also more capacity. the trailer also tows much nicer. we recently put on 2158516 bfgoodrich commercial t/a's and have towed several times with it and LOVE it.
I have also heard that putting a gooseneck conversion is not a good idea. oh yeah the other thing we did was change the height of the kin pin box and hitch. it may take some trial fits to get it right.

my truck is the short bed in sig i have 33 tires and no lift in the back no problem with fifth. it tows level and the overall height is 12' 6" to top of a'c unit. when we lifted trailer it gave some very good ground clearance that was greatly appreciated. tows excellent in the wind by the way...
Old 10-02-2008, 05:54 PM

The measurement we are missing is the height of the top of the 5th wheel on your truck. The trailer height is adjustable, so that is a non issue.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Originally Posted by Guardrail
The measurement we are missing is the height of the top of the 5th wheel on your truck. The trailer height is adjustable, so that is a non issue.
Not exactly.. The trailer is only ajustable so far until the trailer is riding on a slant. I had to change my 15" rims to 16's in order to get the correct tow height.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:11 PM

our fifth wheel is in the second hole from the bottom. just move it up or down to get the desired bed rail clearance and level trailer. as far as trailer height being a non issue tell that to the guy who drove his brand new fifth wheel under an atm and took out the trailer and truck.