Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Tow haul or OD off

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow haul or OD off

I am driving from Texas to California and pulling a UHual flat bed with a Ford Ranger on it and a load of furniture in both trucks. I'm helping my niece move. At what point do most of you disengage the OD?
Old 04-12-2007, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bearwhiz
I am driving from Texas to California and pulling a UHual flat bed with a Ford Ranger on it and a load of furniture in both trucks. I'm helping my niece move. At what point do most of you disengage the OD?
You should be fine leaving it in OD. If it starts shifting back and forth like it can't decide which gear to be in, then lock it into 3rd. But I doubt you'll have that issue.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Your 06 has teh Tow mode on the tranny. Use it. It will extend shifts to save the tranny a bit. Set the cruise so when it does kick into third on a hill it is at 2400 rpms... These trannies don't like to run that fast and they will shift back into OD faster.

It will stay in third at 2300 rpms ALL DAY and not go back into OD.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:24 AM

Anytime you are towing with an 06 just run in Tow/haul mode.
You should be fine.

I would only lock it out if you are going up a steep, steep grade.

My 2 cents.

Strea
Old 04-13-2007, 01:19 PM

Use tow/haul

As noted in other threads, I just completed a cross country trip of over 10000 miles. I towed a 10k Avion trailer, and a ATV plus all our usual crap. quite a load. On the few times I forgot to engage tow/haul before pulling out in the morning, I really noticed a difference in off the line performance, and how it shifted out of first gear. On long gradual pulls, it seemed to hunt a lot, and shifted back and forth. In tow/haul, it drove exactly like I wanted it to, and pulled up hills, and held back on downhills perfectly. Using the cruise control, as a "No-faster-than" control, it downshifted and held back on downhill grades as steep as 6%. Milage was around 13 mpg with all that load, using tow/haul almost exclusively (like I said, occaisionally I forgot to engage it. I always corrected it in a mile or two). Very Very pleased with the tow haul setting.
That setting also allowed it to shift up to a more fuel economic setting, when speed was attained and no hill.
Most of your route (If you are on I-10) is flat, except at Texas Pass ("The Thing??") which is steep, but has a 3d lane for the trucks. You will pass everyone. Don't exceed 65 going down on the west side, since it has some curves, and the up/down contour can make you float a bit above that speed. there is a narrow section in a slightly hilly area before you get to Benson, and just where you start to see the first Saguaros. Slow down there.
The hills just before the wind generators in eastern San Bernadino county or Imperial county (I forget) is not bad, and you will only have to worry about traffic after that. Be ready on that brake, since you WILL NOT be able to stop as short as you think. OH, the traffic in El Paso, is NUTZ. Stay in the # 2 lane all the way through. That avoids the speed demons in the fast lane, and the people getting on the freeway on your right. Freeway speeds are up to 80 MPH east of El Paso, but about 10 miles east it drops precipitously, and there is a big team of DPS troopers, working the speed trap. Watchit.
Get a prefered customer card from flying J...today, since it takes awhile to get in the mail. It takes a few cents off your deisel fuel bill each fill up. The other guys may have the same sort of card thingy, but they where always higher priced anyway.
Fill at the RV pump. Pick up the little booklet that shows each station location.
You may make this in one 18 hour run, but I think you will need to stop halfway, so you can go into LA in the middle of the day, to avoid the worst of the traffic. BTW, It is ALWAYS rush hour down there in that hole.
IF YOU ARE NOT going to LA, let me know and I will discuss other routes, I travel that area ALOT.
If you are going to the central valley, go by way of Tehachapi. Simi Valley, go by way of Lancaster. Northern CA, go by way of Nevada, and come over by way of Reno. Extreme northern Ca, dodge I -80, and go in by way of Susanille.
What is your start point and stop point?
Best of luck on the road, guy.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:51 PM

Thanks for all the info from everyone. HANKPAC, with the info you gave me I should be able to set the cruise and take a nap hopefully ending up in California. After starting this thread I found out that we are going to Lake Arrowhead California. We are leaving from Katy Texas which is right on I-10. I think we are going to stop in Las Cruses for the night. Everyone I've talked to said don't stop in El Paso for the night, especially looking like the Beverly Hillbillies. When you wake up the next morning there will be nothing left on the trucks. If the trucks are even there.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:16 AM

Las Cruces should be fine. Make your res. the day you should arrive there, and try to get one on the west side of town. From there, San Berdoo is about 14 hours or so. You may need to stop in Redlands or Banning or somewhere east of the major LA infuluence. that way you can arise early, and drive into the major portion of town, and head up the hill to Arrowhead. When you start off at the bottom of that hill, itis steep, long narrow and winds like a corkscrew, unless they have straightened or widened someof it. Call AAA and ask them for info on the road. You do have a AAA card, Right?
There are places where that road just drops straight off, and looks like you would hit bottom in one bouce, somewhere near disneyland.
In fact there is a high school called "Rim of the World".
I worked up there just after I got home from Viet Nam, at the marina. Only worked there for a short time, but it was really pretty in the late 60's.
You will be on surface streets for a short way to get from the interstate to the road going up to Arrowhead.
there is a flying J eastof El Paso, but it is a very busy intersection, and really crowded with big rigs.
there is also supposed to be one on the west side, outsideof town, but I never saw it last month for watching the traffic.
there is a Love's way outside of Las Cruces, westof town, but like I said it's usually higher priced.
Get the booklet at the first flying J.
Best of luck on this trip.