Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Total Length

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Total Length

When I go camping the total length of my set up is right at 60'. Every site that I checked for towing laws says that in Mn the legal length is 75'. A friend of mine was stopped and the State Patrol said the length for private doubles was 60'. Any body know where I can look for the correct info? I talked to one s.p. officer and he really didn't know. I'm thinking of upgrading my boat but need to be careful about length.<br>Tom
Old 03-09-2003, 08:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Total Length

You can go to any bookstore that carries a Motor Carrier's Atlas.<br>In the front section of the atlas, there will be listings for every state.<br>These listings will include all maximum dimensions, length, width, height before permits are issued for oversize loads.<br>Most states have different limits for length.<br>The Trucker's atlas is in most cases, the most up to date for these regulations.<br>Hope this helps, Rich
Old 03-09-2003, 08:29 PM

http://www.freetrip.com/rules_fr1.html <br><br>pappyman posted that link in another thread, it's got good info for each state. Total length in MI is 59'... :<br><br>Tony
Old 03-09-2003, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really in the same subject but related. Those hauling commercial have a way around the &quot;each state&quot; length laws. The reason that I removed the pickup body was not for looks or for any other reason. Registered as a tractor with no body on the back, the federal mandated length limits are as follows: Any length tractor pulling a 53' trailer or any length tractor pulling 28' doubles. Some states hold to the 48' trailer length but all states allow the 53' as of this date. Canada is possibly different but the states allow the above. To achieve this, the registration must read &quot;type: tractor&quot; and there must be no tow body or pickup body or flatbed. The future will include 33' doubles and a lot of the states like Alabama are loosening on the single trailer length, we can haul 57' here. Also the laws do not seem to include front trailer overhang, just rear overhang which can be 4' or better. In Alabama that computes to 61' with rear overhang plus whatever you can hang off the front of the trailer either over the cab or behind it. Four cars are 60 t0 62 feet long on a trailer, 15.5 x 4 max. I am looking into a longer trailer, will use 53' with flipouts both ends, great for grabbing a burger at macdonalds. Also the kingpin to center of rear axle set must be less than 41 feet.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:36 AM
Chapter President

A usefull link if you pull a RV<br><br>http://www.rvadvice.com/rvtowlaw.html
Old 03-12-2003, 04:15 PM

These are great, but, I still don't have anything that says what PRIVATE DOUBLES are limited to. I know that commercial laws say 75' ( I drove big trucks for 8 1/2 yrs). I haven't been bothered at 60' but would like to upgrade my boat. I have to have things as short as I can just to put my 16' boat behind my fifth wheel now. I would feel a little better if I could stretch things out a little more.