Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Tire Ware

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Wear

I've had this happen on a few Dodges that I've owned, but when ever I pull the 5th wheel travel trailer, after around 1000 miles I can see the front tires have a noticable uneven wear. Its at that point they would need to be rotated to the back. I have messed with lowering the tire pressure and I think that helped. Does anyone have any other ideas to help with this problem? Thanks
Old 05-09-2007, 12:53 PM

All trucks and all tires vary, even if the same model/make. I take a large piece of builders chalk and put thick stripes across my tires with the load I want to adjust to. Drive a short distance and check the marks. If worn on the outside,,too low, if worn on the center,,too high. Adjust pressure and do again. Make a note of all four tire pressures at load desired and put in glove box for reference. You will get minor variations but it should be pretty close.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by CarlJensen
All trucks and all tires vary, even if the same model/make. I take a large piece of builders chalk and put thick stripes across my tires with the load I want to adjust to. Drive a short distance and check the marks. If worn on the outside,,too low, if worn on the center,,too high. Adjust pressure and do again. Make a note of all four tire pressures at load desired and put in glove box for reference. You will get minor variations but it should be pretty close.

Thanks I find that usually its outside wear, the treads are uneven, ie: one tread will be raised then a couple down the tread will be lower. I will try more pressure ....