Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Tire Sentry Pressure Monitoring System

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tire Sentry Pressure Monitoring System

I just installed the Tire Sentry system in my truck and trailer. Since I have duals on both truck and trailer I was concerned that I could have a tire failure without being able to see that a tire was down. I have 14 tires on the road plus the two spares. I bought the system for 18 wheelers so this setup allows me to monitor the spare tires as well. Two spots on the display are blank.

I chose this system for ease of installation, reported lack of false alarms and ease of battery changes. One other system I looked at required you to replace the sensors at 50 bucks a pop when the batteries ran out. This would have been rather costly. The Tire Sentry system requires two common #357 batteries per sensor for a total cost of around 40 dollars to change batteries in the entire system of 16 sensors. Battery life in the Tire Sentry is 2.5 to 3 years. Pressure settings are user adjustable. Each system is custom built for your application and tire pressures.

Installation of the display unit was pretty straight foward. I mounted it where the cigar lighter is to the right of the steering wheel. The display unit is a standard 2 inch round guage size and will also fit a standard guage mount if you want an alternative location. An antenna cable runs through the firewall along the frame and terminates in a short integral antenna that extends down just below the frame foward of the rear bumper. No external antenna is required if you don't want to monitor a trailer. The sensors are user adjustable for pressure and screw on in place of the valve caps on each wheel.

So far the system has worked flawlessly. It alerted me to a low spare on the truck by a red flashing LED in on the display. The display has a picture of the truck and trailer with all the tire positions. When a tire drops pressure by a few pounds, the appropriate LED flashes along with a beep to warn you of the problem. It is nice to have the extra piece of mind, especially when towing. I will remove the sensors during winter storage to extend battery life even further.

Casey
Old 10-11-2004, 03:17 AM

What did it run you
Old 10-11-2004, 07:30 AM

Around $850 for a 16 sensor system. I know that sounds like a lot but the damage that results from a shredding tire can easily amount to several thousand dollars. Most applications would be either eight or ten sensors so would cost considerably less.

Casey
Old 10-11-2004, 09:56 AM

where did you buy it
Clark
Old 10-11-2004, 11:24 AM

Fleet Specialties in CA sells them direct. See www.tiresentry.com for details. If you tell them what you want to monitor they will provide you a quotation. They seemed good to do business with and answered all of my many questions before I bought it.

Casey