Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

thinking about new truck, need advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thinking about new truck, need advise

I have an 86 f350 crew cab W/460 rated to tow 12,500 stock. The new Fords are only rated for 12,400 according to their website, and don't want to deal with the issues with the 6.0, so the only option is the new dodge rated at 16,000. I am trying to work my way up to a horse trailer that will be pushing that 12,500 limit. I am considering a 3500, cummins, 6spd 4x4. I would like to hear from anyone that has one of these trucks and towing in the 14,000-15,000 range. I am planning on this being the last truck I ever buy, I am only going to use it to tow my horses on weekends, going maybe 10k a year. I had a 97 dodge 2500 v10 4x4 and loved it, but I didn't tow any where near this weight with it. Also, do I need the 4.10 rear axle, or would the 3.73 be ok with the 6spd. I know a new truck will tow better than my 18 year old with 100k on it, but it is also paid for, verses payments on $40k. I would love to hear from people that have these trucks, both good and bad, don't want to make a $40k mistake. thanks
Old 04-11-2004, 08:42 PM

Re: thinking about new truck, need advise

Originally posted by horselady
Also, do I need the 4.10 rear axle, or would the 3.73 be ok with the 6spd.
I can't imagine any reasonably safe towing situation where you would actually NEED a 4.10 with a 6-speed. Unfortunately 3500 trucks with a 3.73 are not common. I don't think they are even offered on the DRW trucks.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:56 PM

Horselady, welcome to a great site for some good advice on the dodges, I have personaly owned 5 ford diesels and two dodges, my opinion is the dodges will pull better,last longer, less trouble,and give you more mpg . Personaly I would recommend to try a used one that has been checked out by someone who knows about these trucks. As far as the gear ratio goes,Nevada states it true,the 4.10 would not be needed in your case, Goodluck,,,,Rick
Old 04-11-2004, 10:05 PM

I had a similar F350 CC big dooley pulling my 8k boat, and my Dodge would run circles around the Ford in every dept.

Choosing the rear gear is only slightly less emotional around here than oil preferences. Given that there are lots of folks on this site pulling in excess of 30k here with 3.54's in their older Dodges (bear in mind most of them are bombed in different levels), you probably can't go wrong with either choice of 373 or 410.

But "to me", I think that when pulling heavy with a stock truck, the 4.10's keep that engine in the fat part of the powerband around 65-70, which is plenty fast for me when pulling. 2200 rpm translates to about 70 in my truck, and about 76 with the higher 3.73's.

Unladen, I believe the 373's would be preferred.

Either way, you won't make a $40k mistake.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:52 PM

thanks for the recomendations so far, now I'm just trying to locate a diesel at a dealership just to drive and can't find one in a 6sp, guess the auto will tell me what I need to know. When the time comes, I want to order one, rather than take one off the lot. Bad part about that, if they are in such demand, they will want sticker price for one. Oh well, gotta pay to play.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:29 PM

Welcome to the site hope you are looking for more info than you thought possible. I have been pulling a 4 horse living quarter all over the Az and Colo for several years. Trailer is 10,000 pounds empty (check sig) and would not trade for anything. Mountains and flat land alike the truck drives great and you dont even know the trailer is back there except on turns in town driving.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:57 PM

Sounds like you have the trailer that I want someday. 3 or 4horse, mid tack, 12 ft short wall with slide out. About 10,000 empty. Noticed you have done quite a bit to your truck , how did it so while it was stock? It is a little less flat here, if I want to go about anywhere, i have to cross Saluda Mnt, don't know if you have ever heard of it, but most truckers could tell you about it!
Old 04-12-2004, 07:15 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If you're going to be towing heavy in the mountains, the 6 speed and and an exhaust brake are must-haves regardless of gear ratio. They'll save your brakes for when you need them.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:54 AM
Banned

If you want a 6 speed and are going to use a 6 speed then don't drive an automatic for comparision. The 6 speed will transferr the power better than any stock auto. An exhaust brake is a very good idea for towing in the mountains, it will not only save on your brakes but probably you and your horses. With the high out put engine and 6 speed the gear ratio pretty much becomes mute but for pure pulling power you can not beat the 4:10's.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:38 PM

I would love to drive a 6 speed, but no body has one, only diesel they have is a 3/4 ton, and I live in a large city, with 6 dealerships with in 100 miles!
Old 04-13-2004, 04:13 PM

I will probably be the only one to say I wouldn't recommend one. The six speed is great and this truck will pull anything you hook to it, but if you get one that has or develops the mysterious vibrations around 70 mph ( not the power steering hose) that the dealer can't recreate or thats supposedly normal for a big truck or whatever the excuse for the day happens to be you will have made the $40,000 mistake. I have taken the front driveshaft out, no fix. I am going to start messing with the rear next. I don't think it will help, but nobody else is willing to fix it. It feels to me like a balance issue in the engine but who knows. Other than the vibrations seems like a decent truck, but I wouldn't chance it on another one.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:14 PM

When did your truck start having this vibration? Is it consistant with engine speed in any gear, or only picks up at 70? If it is in the engine, then it should be consistant at certain rpm's regardless of the gear you are in. I would double check the tires and if it has drum brakes, the drum being out of balance can do this. I know of a place in NC that can run it up in the air and see where the vibration is coming from, they are a tractor trailer suspension shop, maybe one near you could do the same and maybe find it for you, then send the dealer the bill!
Old 04-14-2004, 06:35 PM

Our 6 speed has 42,000 miles on it, at least 36,000 being hooked to some kind of trailer. Never had any problems with it. I've never heard of the trans being out of balance. You sure it's the trans? Sounds like you're still looking for it. Horselady, if you're going to spend a majority of your time pulling a trailer, the 6speed and 4:10's can't be beat. I've pulled everything from motorcycles to 30 foot cattle trailers to 24,000lbs of feed with it and couldn't be happier.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:21 PM

We pull a travel trailer 33' app. 10,000 pounds with a golf cart in the bed which adds another 1,000 pounds. Pulls the hills just fine. I went with the 3:73 gears on the one ton dually. Guessed if I needed a lower ratio I could just downshift to 5th. Well 5th gear with the pedal on the floor will pull ya up a hill/mountain just fine. Any truck you buy is a loss of money but the cummins will make the investment well worth it vs ford and chevy. I am happy to see you want a stick shift, In my opinion slushboxes (auto trannys) would not be the best choice for towing. On the exhaust brake I have run some 6% grades and I will not be spending the bucks for an exhaust brake. I can buy alot of brakes and rotors for that $1,000-$1,800. Good luck whatever your choice, dave.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:13 PM

Dont ! buy an automatic or try to compare it to a 6 speed.
Mine is a 2003 2500, HO, 6 speed with 3.54 gears , replacing a 2001 Dually that had an auto. Say what they will about the new auto transmissions being better --they still do not recomend installing a exaust brake, (nuff said--no flames please ) which if you are going up and down a lot of steep long grades IS cheap insuranse. The 4 w disc brakes on these are fantastic, but on a long down grade, with your favorite animals in the back , Do you even want to take a chance on possible brake fade ??
Some of the hills here in Oregon, or running over to Reno, will make a real believer out of you. It sounds like you have some experiance and a hill near by to go over check out a manual tranny and do some searching on the net for a truck with your preferences if one of your local dealers don't want to do it for you . No You DON'T have to pay sticker price !! do a little shopping and don't be afraid to walk out if they are giving you the "girl " treatment . There are dealers who will sell off the internet that will save you money -- drive a little if necessary.
Mine is stock and pulls over 10k just fine --I can usually pass just about anything I want on a grade by grabbing 5 th gear ! ! I got over 15.5MPG last week end on a trip to Roseburg pulling a trailer/ 2 cars over the divide from hwy 101 on the coast to
I 5 at Roseburg and back .

Quick Reply: thinking about new truck, need advise