Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Thinking about buying a travel trailer and pulling doubles. Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about buying a travel trailer and pulling doubles. Questions...

Well my mother is talking about it but she'd need to use my truck. I'd obviously keep it at my place and use it (since she probably won't ).

What I'd like to do is get a bumper hitch one so I can haul my fourwheeler with me in the bed.

I'd also like to set it up so I can pull double so I can pull a little enclosed trailer to put a couple street bikes in.

I'd like to have a receiver off the rear of the trailer so I can

1)Pull a little trailer
2)Get one of those basket things so I can put an additonal 4 wheeler back there without pulling doubles.

This way I won't have to screw with a toy hauler.

What should I look at, like 30 ft? Used of course, 5-10yrs old.

Also my XDR hitch is rated to 16K.

Thanks for helping me bounce around some ideas .
Old 07-13-2008, 07:54 PM

Hey REDNECKTASTIC, I have a 2006 30' Coachman Captiva That came from the factory with a small hitch on the back already. I put a large bike rack on it that carries four bikes. Its solid but I think a 4 wheeler rack would be a little to much for the frames on a bumper pull. My old 5th wheel seemed like the frame was a lot beefier than any of the bumper pulls Ive seen. I also have not seen many,if any regular bumper pulls pulling doubles, only 5th wheels
Old 07-13-2008, 07:56 PM

Thanks!

Think I could weld/reinforce some back there to get the tongue capacity up?
Old 07-13-2008, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my set-up that we pull on occasion with no problems. I did beef up the rear bumper some.

I think you can look in my photo gallery and see a better pic since you can't enlarge this one.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:10 PM

Yeah it's still small but I can see that's a boat back there. How do you back that thing in . What if you get stuck in a situation where you have to back out of is mainly what I'm wondering about pulling double.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rednecktastic
This way I won't have to screw with a toy hauler.

What should I look at, like 30 ft? Used of course, 5-10yrs old.

Also my XDR hitch is rated to 16K.

Thanks for helping me bounce around some ideas .

Why NOT a Toyhauler? If you are getting it to go camping and to play with toys.....wouldn't a Toyhauler fill the bill? They tend to be a little less comfortable in most cases than a regular travel trailer, but they do what they are designed to do very well, imo. I used to pull doubles but I like my set up much better now.

Also, I have a Putnam XDR hitch. They are awesome and help with the extra tongue weight.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:58 AM
DTR Mom

Texas might not care...

remember, you want the weight distributed! beefing up the bumper will only work up to 200 pounds. Frame rails a third up the main beams to put a extruded steel rack for a 700 pound four wheeler (four foot rack width about)
physics, Rule of Thirds, Cantilever whatever you want to call it, the weight has to be riding on the main beam (six inch or better channel) BUT

who knows what goes for your area. DFW metro plex to Burleson is not the place.

Rule of Truckers is anything doubled gets twice the action and reacts twice as fast. you sure you want a bitty trailer with lightweight stuff handling that?

sometimes you can check the tongue weight (bathroom scale and a two by four with loaded trailer) and extend the tongue, placing the extruded steel rack ahead of the trailer bed. it is all in the weight distribution. Farmer rule of thumb is four inch channels? no more than 400 pounds at the front or back of the trailer. good start for a good idea. hope you do well and this site here is fantastic for bouncing ideas around. best of recreation to ya!!
Old 07-14-2008, 05:42 AM

Check state laws in states you will be towing in . In most states where doubles are allowed the front trailer must have a 5th wheel hitch .
Old 07-14-2008, 09:28 AM

http://www.wecamp2.com/size.html

this may help...
Old 07-14-2008, 10:45 AM

or just do something like this

Old 07-14-2008, 08:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
How long is the flat deck in that pic? Tandem duals?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
remember, you want the weight distributed! beefing up the bumper will only work up to 200 pounds. Frame rails a third up the main beams to put a extruded steel rack for a 700 pound four wheeler (four foot rack width about)
physics, Rule of Thirds, Cantilever whatever you want to call it, the weight has to be riding on the main beam (six inch or better channel) BUT

who knows what goes for your area. DFW metro plex to Burleson is not the place.

Rule of Truckers is anything doubled gets twice the action and reacts twice as fast. you sure you want a bitty trailer with lightweight stuff handling that?

sometimes you can check the tongue weight (bathroom scale and a two by four with loaded trailer) and extend the tongue, placing the extruded steel rack ahead of the trailer bed. it is all in the weight distribution. Farmer rule of thumb is four inch channels? no more than 400 pounds at the front or back of the trailer. good start for a good idea. hope you do well and this site here is fantastic for bouncing ideas around. best of recreation to ya!!
That helped a lot.

So you mean 2 six inch beams is what the frame would need to be made of?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
Why NOT a Toyhauler? If you are getting it to go camping and to play with toys.....wouldn't a Toyhauler fill the bill? They tend to be a little less comfortable in most cases than a regular travel trailer, but they do what they are designed to do very well, imo. I used to pull doubles but I like my set up much better now.

Also, I have a Putnam XDR hitch. They are awesome and help with the extra tongue weight.

Well I'm not buying it... I think she wants just the trailer part.

In an ideal world I'd have a couple Can Ams, 2 harleys, and a toy hauler to haul them to offroad parks or rallies. But at 26 y/o just paying for the fuel to get there breaks me.

Right now I have the truck, one beat up Polaris and one Ducati . But I want an addtional quad.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by cLAYH
How long is the flat deck in that pic? Tandem duals?
Have to ask Drillpipe. I assume that it's his rig.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by RickG
Check state laws in states you will be towing in . In most states where doubles are allowed the front trailer must have a 5th wheel hitch .
Many states do not allow doubles PERIOD. Also watch your total length. In MN the fith wheel is supposed to be under 27' if you want to tow an RV carrier. No dinghy

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a travel trailer and pulling doubles. Questions...