Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Tekonsha Voyager, leveling light not on!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tekonsha Voyager, leveling light not on!

I installed my new brake controller awhile back but never got a chance to try it out. So, the other day I hooked it up to a big Wells Cargo trailer, double axle, the lights on the trailer worked but the electric brake control light in the cab didn't light up. Whats the deal? If the lights work on the trailer why doesn't the brake controller light up, confirming I'm connected to the trailer.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:51 AM

Re:Tekonsha Voyager, leveling light not on!

Check the brake wiring on the trailer. Also the wire from the controller to the trailer and maybe the plug connections. The brake light and brakes are on different wires.<br>Terry
Old 05-19-2003, 11:14 AM

The light on the brake controler is a multi color light emitting diode (led). Green indicates that you have conunity in your brake circuit. That all of your wires and the magnets in the brakes are working. When you press the brake petal the led should change to a yellowish orange. On hard braking it will be red. No light on the controller would indicate either a wiring problem a blown fuse or something wrong with the trailer brakes.<br><br>Bill
Old 05-20-2003, 12:21 PM

WA4SLC,<br><br>Thanks I'll give that a try, you can tell I really tow alot huh
Old 05-20-2003, 04:04 PM

That didn't work. Is it possible the dealer forget about the brake control wiring somehow? The lights still work on the trailer though when it's hooked up.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not sure but on my truck there is a fuse and relay for the Brake control harness, Make sure that was installed,<br>Also another way to check it is use a test light at the 7 way plug.<br>The terminal at the 5 o clock position is your Traler brake wire.<br>Have somebody push on the brake pedal and you test for power at that terminal...if no....then go back to the box under the dash.<br>Allen
Old 05-21-2003, 09:02 AM

O.K. I got it figured out, Since I had the class III receiver put on at the dealer they did not hook up power to the rear brakes. A coiled (light blue) wire under the hood coming out of the power distribution box. I need to feed that through the firewall and connect to brake control.
Old 05-29-2003, 03:59 PM

I have a Tekonsha Voyager XP and the light does not come on when I brake. I haven't tried it hooked up to a trailer yet, but all the other brake controllers seem to light up when the brakes are applied with no trailer. Did I do something wrong when I hooked them up? I plugged them into the factory harness under the steering wheel then ran a wire from a harnesss, located behind the driver side front wheel, to the 7 way plug. Need some advice from someone who has experience with this type of brake control.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The light on the Voyager doesn't come on until the trailer harness is plugged in. It glows green except when braking, then it glows red. It is also used in adjusting the level and sensativity ***** with the trailer plugged in..
Old 05-30-2003, 04:08 PM

Is there anyone who would like a free Voyager? It is a first generation brake controller. I never felt safe towing with it. the adjustment goes out when the grade of the road changes. If you tow on flat-land it can be adjusted once. If you tow mountains, there should be a warning to adjust frequently for changing terrain. <br><br>To me the Prodigy is a better and safer investment since it does not have that pendulum that must swing for the controller to work. Too much swing the brakes lock up. :'(