Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Switching From Tow/haul To Od Off ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switching From Tow/haul To Od Off ?

When pulling in Tow/Haul mode and come upon a big grade and need to go to OD off is there a way to go back to Tow/Haul with out going back to standard mode then Tow/Haul.? It just seems like it would not be good to be switching it around cause for that split second it seems to hunt before it settles in.
Maybe a dumb question but consider the questioneer....
Old 05-03-2007, 04:34 PM

Switching from TH/od off etc

I experimented a lot with this setting while pulling a heavy trailer across country this winter. I found that it was best for me to set it in T/H immediately before pulling out from the overnight stay, and leaving it there, no matter the terrain. It shifted out of OD by itself at just the right time, and did no hunting when I left it in T/H. This was far better (under my set up circumstance) that going in and out of OD etc. I did use OD off, when going downhill to get some holdback, on really steep hils, especially when dropping out of campsites in steep country on dirt roads. I was doing about 5 mph to no more than 10, and used OD off, in 2d gear. Worked great.
The steepest hills on Interstates I encountered were the climb on 80 going east of Salt Lake ,8%,: No problem in drive, T/H. and the climb out of dougherty slide (Hiway 140 east of Lakeview OR 8%) . The rig climbed without over-reving, passed everybody, including other RV set ups, and pretty much did so without trying hard.
Your results may vary. The manual wasn't very clear on the subject.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:20 PM

While towing there have been some hills where it will switch in and out of OD, or when it was twisty enough I had to slow down, so I would bump the auto button into OD off and try to keep my RPMs around 2300 (not having an EGT gauge then). When I got back to where I could go into OD, I would ease up on the skinny peddle and blip the auto button twice. If it was still a little steep, it would seem like it hunted a little bit, but it was pretty brief and I don't think it hurt. This was before Smarty and Commander.

I haven't towed yet, since I got the Smarty and Commander in. I'm looking forward to it, since it seems the tranny shifts better w/Smarty (and I always have driven in T/H, loaded or not).

I suspect with Smarty it'll just be better to leave it in T/H, since it should have enough oomph. I will only downshift if EGTs get high or I want extra exhaust braking.