Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Suspension mods what and why

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension mods what and why

Who has what suspension mods and why?

I was thinking I'd wait until I'd driven the new 5ver a bit to decide about suspension mods, but I just saw that some hitch installs might not work with some suspension mods... so maybe I need a plan before I set my new truck up to tow.

From what I've skimmed I see there are Timbrens which look like a kind of rubber overload spring. There are also helper type mods that use variable compressed air? How many variations on that theme. And finally there would be the regular steel helper springs.

What else could I consider?

I don't have actual weights on anything yet... but the 5ver should be <10K# typical, maybe up to 11K# max. The 04 2500 will be... well, whatever the 04's are.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:33 AM

I'd also checkout some good shocks. I use the RS9000X's and they are adjustable depending on the load. Look at the Air Bags as you can also adjust them according to the load. Good luck...
Big dawg
Old 12-29-2003, 05:03 PM

Go with some good shocks. As stated Ranchoes or Bilstiens. I have the Bilstiens and they are flawless. I have a 30' 5ver and a 2500. You should have no problems. The suspension should be fine.

Kimrey
Old 12-30-2003, 04:55 AM
Chapter President

Shocks like Ranchoes or Bilstiens will control bounce.....if your truck sags with the trailer then you need to modify the suspension......air bags will help level your truck with a load......as will adding springs to the spring pack (but a ruffer ride unloaded).......adding overloads also help without making the ride ruffer (over load springs dont effect the ride until the truck saggs enuff to contact the overload springs)

I like the air bags because they give the best of all ride and sagg control......which can be controled by the air pressure in the bags....and with a onboard air compressor the pressure can be adjusted from the cab......IMHO
Old 12-31-2003, 03:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would have to agree with Pappy.
Airbags are the way to go.
Infinitely adjustable, without sacrificing ride quality.
Another thing you might want to consider is the front.
Make sure you have a good set of shocks like Bilstien, Rancho,
etc will help in the control problem on bumpy roads with all that weight behind you.
Just my $.02

Rich
Old 12-31-2003, 06:03 AM

I think you are wise to try the fiver on the truck before making a decision. I have found the stock shocks adequate while they are still new but will replace them with Bilsteins when they become available for the 3rd generation trucks.

Properly fitting Timbrens will NOT effect the ride of an unloaded truck and they give a nice steady feeling when the truck is loaded. Everyone has their preferences and I am certainly not saying that airbags will not do the job. They will. But I like the Timbren ease of installation and absolutely no maintenance once they are on. If you go the Timbren route, load the truck as you usually have it "unloaded" and measure the distance from the frame to the axle tube. Sometimes fiver hitches etc. make the truck ride lower than spec. Call Timbren with the measurment and they will recommend a rubber spring for your particular situation. We use them on our ambulance fleet and they have done the job well and in a cost effective manner.

FWIW. Casey