Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Surge/buck when towing

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surge/buck when towing

I have posted this problem in the past but with no luck in repairing th eissue at hand. Driving while not towing, I do not experience the problem. When I tow my 5th wheel, the first time I reach 1,700 RPM, the truck will begin to buck and surge violently. This creates big problems for me since the majority of my towing is done in the hills and mountains.

I know there is a TSB on this but the kit is no longer available. I've read that after it is installed, people have had difficulty attaing full throttle capabilities. I have tried heavier return springs with no luck. I just moved my AFC back and that didn't work either.

Have you experienced this and what did you do to cure it?

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:49 AM

Your truck and trailer do sound like they are level with each other,weight distribution is off.., post your question on this site..Tons of folks that can help,.,.,.Look for the 5th w Forum.

http://www.rv.net/forum/
Old 05-21-2007, 10:05 AM

does it do it at 1700 in any gear? what the boost when it does surge.
Clark
Old 05-21-2007, 12:42 PM

Problem only seems to happen in fourth gear. I'm guessing the boost is around 25-30. I can drive through it if the grade of the hill permits proper accelleration and I can get it over 2000 RPM.

I will also check out the RV Net forum.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:55 PM

Not meaning to hijack but how hard was the nv4500 conversion and did you have to reprogram the computer?
Old 05-21-2007, 02:00 PM

The swap took one weekend and a 1998 donor truck. Fairly straight forward.
Didn't have to touch the computer.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the problem with mine was similar.

it is gone now that I have put in a rebuilt p7100.

long story short, the PO had the 3k kit in wrong, and it was impossible to adjust the idle. So much fuel was being sent to the injectors that ANY movement of the idle screw gave you a runaway like condition when you push the clutch in.

As a result, if you hit a bump and your foot bounced even a little, it gave a shot of power, and then off, power & off.....so bad you couldn't drive thru it. I fixed it for the most part by adding some heavy return springs, but since I ended up rebuilding the pump when the PO's mistake finally broke it, it hasn't been an issue.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ram of Steel
I have posted this problem in the past but with no luck in repairing th eissue at hand. Driving while not towing, I do not experience the problem. When I tow my 5th wheel, the first time I reach 1,700 RPM, the truck will begin to buck and surge violently. This creates big problems for me since the majority of my towing is done in the hills and mountains.

I know there is a TSB on this but the kit is no longer available. I've read that after it is installed, people have had difficulty attaing full throttle capabilities. I have tried heavier return springs with no luck. I just moved my AFC back and that didn't work either.

Have you experienced this and what did you do to cure it?

Thanks.
throttle springs were the culprit with me,

just added two more and it solved my problem, Far as i know you can get the throttle spring repair kit from the dealership, i might look into it soon to legitamately fix my problem... Or see what i can rig up to fix it..

Oh and another thing, the gsk might be the culprit as well, back off the springs and see what it does...

Rick
Old 05-23-2007, 01:51 PM

I was unaware of a throttle spring repair kit?? I did purchase a second set of OE springs and install them along with the originals. Do you have a part number for this kit?

It was previously suggested that I back off the GSK another click but that makes me a little nervous. I'm right at the edge of not having a detent to hold it all together. I had to back it off after the initial install so the engine would start easily without pushing the pedal down.

I may try backing off the fuel cam plate.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:11 PM

if yer that close on the gsk, leave it alone.

that was what happened opn mine. the PO didn't remove all the original stuff, and when I backed off it a couple of clicks to get throttle adjustment back, the spring hit the inside of the ase and messed up the injection pump