Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

spray in liners and 5th wheel hitches

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spray in liners and 5th wheel hitches

Several provinces up here have banned spray in liners beneath your 5th wheel hitch they say they break or rub away then loosing up the bolts on the hitch anybody have this issue and how to get around it, I suppose just mask off the areas that the hitch resides on mine is a slider and is out alot. Just want a clean look
Old 12-28-2005, 06:48 PM

i don't see any reason why the spray in liner would cause a problem. i own my own body shop, and ive fixed dozens of trucks with spray in liners. ive been repeatidly fixing a few horse farm trucks for years. they have spray in liners and fifth wheels, with no problems. that spray in liner is hard as hell it wouldn't just rub away. i think they are just trying to cover their own *** when they tell u that.
if u really want, u can mask off the area where the hitch would go but when u take it out, it'll look pretty stupid.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:29 PM

Never seen any law that speaks to spray in bed liner or fifth wheel hitches. In fact, some hitches don't even sit on the bed or liner itself, only the pins that are attached to the frame. Could you quote your sources please? Where is Olds, Canada?

Casey
Old 12-28-2005, 07:33 PM

I have spray in liner in my bed and no problems, trucks been towing a long time
Old 12-28-2005, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Casey Balvert
Never seen any law that speaks to spray in bed liner or fifth wheel hitches. In fact, some hitches don't even sit on the bed or liner itself, only the pins that are attached to the frame. Could you quote your sources please? Where is Olds, Canada?

Casey
Alberta, Canada....... north of montana

sources are scetchy and I have no solid proof or gov't data, as I have been searching on the web. I think it was one of our local DTR truck GTG that it came up maybe one of those fellas will chime in with some more info. In the mean time I will keep searching for somthing to post
Old 01-02-2006, 10:17 AM

I have a spray on liner under my 5th wheel hitch...absolutely no problems. I've never even heard of this problem before. However, in the worst case scenario, if the liner does rub off and your bolts become loose you could just tighten the bolts!! I don't foresee that happening though.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:23 AM

I asked a highway DOT guy and he said he wasn't aware so maybe it was a bad rumour, then again highway guys are the smartest either I can't see a proble mselfbut a law is a law if.... it is a law, not anywhere on the internet and the sprayin liner people said they hadn't heard anything.They would have to grandfather this one in or lots of guys would be out there grinding away liners under the hitches, I'll just say my was put it a couple years ago .
Old 01-03-2006, 12:32 AM
J&L

I had a hitch dealer refuse to install hitch rails on a slide in bed liner [Pendaliner] but no probs with spray liners........JIM