Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

spray in liner before or after 5er hitch

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spray in liner before or after 5er hitch

I was wondering if it would be better to get a spray in liner done before or after having a fiver hitch installed? Any input?
Old 01-18-2003, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:spray in liner before or after 5er hitch

Welcome to the site RK,<br> Check HERE for a previous discussion on this topic. <br> IMO, it would be better to spray the liner in first and then install the hitch. I removed the factory bed liner (which had been in for 3 months while a DC rep had it) when I put my hitch in. That liner sure rubbed the paint bad in spots for the short time it was in there. My plan was to install the hitch, then remove it when I can afford to have the bed sprayed, then reinstall the rails. I also want to spray the lower portion of my RBW hitch. Just my $.02
Old 01-18-2003, 07:41 AM
Chapter President

I would have the hitch installed since they need to drill holes and bolt the rails in...then ask the liner installer what would be best...to remove the rails and reinstall after or to keep the rails in and spray on the liner ???
Old 01-18-2003, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen it done both ways bit I would prefer to have it done afterwards. That way, any bare metal edges get covered up and the sprayer can cover up everything but the moving parts. They can also give you pro's and con's of either way so ask them also.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:51 AM

I was told by Rhino to spray it after. To me the only down side to that is there will be a &quot;raw&quot; spot if they the rails are ever taken out. Remember also, eveything else that is attached to the bed had better be permanent as the same thing will happen. I have a mounting bracket in mine for a trailer plug I can't take out for that reason. They will fade also and a patch will been seen. So I just leave well enough alone.<br><br>..Preston..
Old 01-18-2003, 10:20 AM

I got mine sprayed first.... don't understand why you wouldn't?? Would you take the rails out and then have it sprayed? Or just have them spray around the rails leaving a bare spot (like previously mentioned) when you removed the rails? If you did take them out to have it sprayed, then it would be like having it sprayed first before you put the hitch in, no? ;D<br><br>Tony
Old 01-18-2003, 11:02 AM
KC

Line X had both my dad and brother spray first then they had the hitch put in.<br><br>KC
Old 01-18-2003, 06:28 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I had LineX installed first. I then touched up all new drill holes with a small brush and a paint that is refered to as self-healing. It stops any rust from starting. Took about 20 minutes to do. It has been over a month since installation, a few towing miles and some very warm sun on the setup. Retorqing produced no significant movement in fasteners.<br><br>Bob
Old 01-19-2003, 12:33 AM

Thanks all for the advice and the link. I liked the idea on the other thread of spraying the bed and then spraying the hitch afterwards. Now have to wonder about spraying the hitch before or after install. Hmmm?