Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Single or double chains on a dually??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single or double chains on a dually??

I am thinking it is about time for some snow chains for the CTD. What are you guys running on your duallies...single tire chains or the double sets? If you run the singles, do they rub between the tires?

It is one of those things that I don't plan on using, but would like to have with us to get out of a jam if needed. We don't do much back-road travelling in the Dodge, so chains would mostly be used on the highway to get us to the nearest motel if we get caught in a storm and have to hold up. We would most likely be pulling a fiver also in this situation if that makes a difference between choosing singles or doubles.

Thanks.....Steve
Old 12-04-2004, 06:11 AM
Chapter President

Theres many things to consider when buying chains
1) will these be used allot ??
2) will they be use on-road or off-road
3) will they be used on highways or dirt roads
4) will they be used while pulling a heavy load
5) will they be used for Ice or Snow
6) storage of them can be a problem
7) should you have chains or cables

Theres no ez answer to your question....the best all around set would be chains for both rear tires and your RV...if you just need a little extra traction to get off the road a set of cable chains mite work

If your traveling with a RV and hit snowy or icy roads the safe way is to get off the road until conditions improve

I carry a set of cable chains for my truck and trailer their ez to store and will improve traction until I can get off the road....if your die-hard to travel on snow or ice then a full set of chains would be needed for your truck and trailer

I have also used my cable chains in the summer to get unstuck from mud and was glad that storage in my truck allows year round carrying of cable chains

Some states mandate chains for winter travel and some states close roads for travel unless you have chains on your vehicle
Old 12-04-2004, 10:42 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I also learned that if you have a mud and snow tire, some states will let you go.

However, if your towing something and theres no rating for mud and snow on the tire, they will want them chained.

I was lucky, I had my old Michelin LTX's on the trailer and new ones on the truck.

Keep tabs on the weather...and use a CB. I have saved myself some major hassles by getting good info off the CB.

As soon as I hear theres a chain up and bad roads, I will look for an off ramp and a room if needed. Beats sitting on the hill or in the ditch. Sometimes its just unavoidable to have to drive but that CB saved me countless hours of bad weather and/or long waits in the truck.

I am sure a few folks on here can relate.

When I needed to chain up I chained both duals and the front axle of the trailer.

Scotty
Old 12-04-2004, 11:18 AM

Ok here goes. If you want to be really set up.
One set for trailer(do not want it pushing you and may need trailer brakes to staighten out in a slide)
One set for front axel(You are 4x4 and some conditions may only need front chained, also insures you can steer)
One set three railers for duals(easier to put on than two set singles, if you run singles on duals in snow chained tire may dig in to where unchained dual is on snow/ice at which time chained tire is not in contact and your done)
Large fivers seem to always out weight the truck so always put at least one on trailer(drag chain)but two is better. put one on rear axel road side and one on front axel curb side( evens out brake pull)
Cables are ok in light conditions but some states do not accept them, Cam lock chains are easie to put on and tighten but bungies are still a good idea on both cabel and chains
Hope this helps
Clark
Old 12-04-2004, 08:43 PM

Thanks guys for the pointers. I am hoping to never need them but want to have them to get us off the road and to the motel if needed. Also need to keep the Highway Patrol happy. Weight and storage are a big factor for me, but so is safety. (Sounds like a good argument to present to the wife for getting a CB in the Dodge ) I am not a die-hard-gotta-get-there-no-matter-what kind of guy. A few years ago we holed up in a very small motel with 2 big dogs for 3 days waiting for the roads to clear.

Thanks for giving me something to think about.
Steve
Old 12-04-2004, 10:12 PM

One thing you don't want to do is chain the fronts only. If you hit the brakes youll swap ends faster than you can say "oh shidt" .

I dunno of a drag chain is going to compensate for that.

I'd think for emergency and short travel only, that cables would be sufficient.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:33 AM

also make sure if you chain your trailer that your brake controller is not on a setting that is too aggressive. the trailer can pull the truck around in icy conditions if the brakes on the trailer grab too tightly.