Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Shower drain question.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shower drain question.....

OK experts, this pertains to my New LQ horse trailer. I noticed that all of the shower water never drains completely out of the shower drain below the drain cap. My Shower has a plastic grate type cap that goes over the top of the drain, then you have the drain pipe under it. The shower NEVER backs up into the stall and always drains out of the trailer just fine... I just thought it was weird that I ALWAYS have standing water just below... Why wouldn't it drain all the way???

I called the dealer and they said there is a " Ck valve" that allows water to drain when it's flowing and as soon as you turn the water off, it closes????? Thought that was a bit odd. What do you guys think???

I had a TINY amount of seepage from the bottom of the shower so I sealed up the upper portions of the drains and meeting surfaces. We will see if it worked next time I use it!! Thanks for the replies!
Old 01-17-2008, 05:32 AM

Roperteacher, the only thing that makes sense to my simple mind is maybe not enough hydrostatic head to offseat the check valve. Why is this check valve installed? Due to (I suspect) low floor height of a horse trailer, there probably is not much height difference between the bottom of the shower and the top of your gray tank. And since the lavoratory/sink is higher than the shower drain...I guess that the potential is there for this drain water to back up into the shower instead of falling into the gray tank. Glad none of my 5ers had this problem.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:58 AM

Your exactly right plus usually the shower is right above the gray and may slosh back into the shower going down the road

Originally Posted by Cobra909
Roperteacher, the only thing that makes sense to my simple mind is maybe not enough hydrostatic head to offseat the check valve. Why is this check valve installed? Due to (I suspect) low floor height of a horse trailer, there probably is not much height difference between the bottom of the shower and the top of your gray tank. And since the lavoratory/sink is higher than the shower drain...I guess that the potential is there for this drain water to back up into the shower instead of falling into the gray tank. Glad none of my 5ers had this problem.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:54 AM

do they have j or p traps in trailers?
Old 01-17-2008, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the replies!! And YES< I think your all right! It makes total sense. Yes, in a horse trailer we are lower to the ground than say a 5th wheel. Sometimes the bottom of my trailer is only 6 inches off the pavement. The Holding tanks are tucked up there as well, not too far off the pavement. The Sink for the Bathroom does sit higher than the shower drain and the Kitchen sink is just behind the shower wall and it too sits a few feet higher . Makes sense!!!! The Holding tanks however are on the opposite side of the trailer and don't sit directly beneath, but thanks everyone. Makes sense!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:13 PM

If you live in a cold climate just pour a little R.V. anti-freeze down the drain before storing trailer.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:43 PM

Are you kidding?? LOLOL I live in SOuthern Calif and my trailer is never Idle. Every week I am headed to rodeos etc.. It is plugged in 24/7 and the Frig has not been off since the day I bout it! LOL ( 4 months)