Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Selecting a generator for the trailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 03:10 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bob has a point, and you CAN convert the Champion to run on LP. (someone on the RV forum bought a kit for the Honda GX series and it worked like a charm)

I like the idea of having mine for a backup at the house. Of course it won't run much, but my food won't spoil and I can run a fan and some lights if need be.........
Old 06-30-2007, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Onan has a portable quiete unit now tha are nice
And quiete
Old 06-30-2007, 05:28 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FiverBob
Hmmm, 2 or 3 weekends per year? You may want to consider propane. No worry about messed up carbs, fouled fuel, etc. The propane is very forgiving when not used a lot. I have propane and love it.
Everythign but the A/C and the Microwave will run off propane, its those two I am thinking about

PJ, my thoughts too, set up atransfer switch on teh house.... I am in tornado alley, and we loose power at least once or twice a month during the spring/summer months.
I currently have the high bid for one of the Champions on Ebay for under $200 so far...
Old 06-30-2007, 06:24 AM

I have a Champion 2800, Honda EZ 1800, Yamaha 1200inv., Rokema 5000 diesel and a tiny Honda lunch box 800. I'm not bashing any brands with the following, just my experience with them.
I have a house, ( 36 x 24 ) in the middle of nowhere with no hydro, phone, running water etc.

Champion: roughly 50 hours, run great but could not start it last winter.
Honda 1800: 300hours, the best I have
Honda 800: Junk, not designed for what I do, stop every time there is 2 drops of oil missing, rebuild engine twice, about 100hours and on it's way to the dump...

Yammy: surprisingly junk, 25 hours, rebuild engine once already, stop often, not reliable.

Rokema: 167 hours, need rings, can't find parts....junk.

Every stores are selling generator now, even Wallmart. Stay away from those.
I work for CP rail and we bought 5 Coleman a couple years ago. They all went back to the store and went with Honda and they are still running today.
It seems that silent generators are fragile. Great for emergency use.
Keep in mind that hours accumulate really fast when used regularly and reliability and longevity is is the key for me. My generators are located in a shelter, 100 feet from the house and are wired to be shut down from the house. ( Wires are underground ).
Old 06-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
Everythign but the A/C and the Microwave will run off propane, its those two I am thinking about...
I think you misunderstood me - - I mean a propane powered generator. Then you don't have to worry about carrying gasoline in your trailer, where to put the tank, is it safe and not going to spill, etc. Plus, you then have the benefits of a much cleaner, safer fuel supply that does not foul out and will not mess up the fuel system of the genny when not used regularly. You all ready have propane in your trailer - - you may wish to get larger tanks. I switched mine out to 2 - 40's.

Bob
Old 06-30-2007, 11:51 AM

I have a Wen 3500 from Menards. I got it mainly for power to my block heater when I can't plug in in the winter. You need to put 5-30 oil in for -10 below operation. It is a tug to start but it goes in a couple pulls.

In the summer it's the same as the Champion. 63 at 30 feet or so. I've heard the champ and it about the same as mine. They still are a bit noisy if between a couple trailers. I leave mine in the bed of the truck with the tonneau cover over it and it's pretty quiet. Plenty of power for any shop equipment I need.

About $300 at Menards last year.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:28 AM

Yesterday I completed the install of my generator. I purchased an Onan 5500, built and installed a receiver hitch on my 5er, then built a tray to mount the Onan on that slides into the receiver hitch. Ran the break in that is required and it was great. The wife didn't know that I had started it or that I had shut it down and the 5er is parked next to the house.

Onan makes many models and while expensive are some of, if not the best, out there. Check out their site http://www.cumminsonan.com/rv/
Old 07-01-2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by FiverBob
I think you misunderstood me - - I mean a propane powered generator. Then you don't have to worry about carrying gasoline in your trailer, where to put the tank, is it safe and not going to spill, etc. Plus, you then have the benefits of a much cleaner, safer fuel supply that does not foul out and will not mess up the fuel system of the genny when not used regularly. You all ready have propane in your trailer - - you may wish to get larger tanks. I switched mine out to 2 - 40's.

Bob
My chum accross the lake has ( had ) a Honda 5000 that was running on propane and was really pig on the 300lbs propane tank and poker-traded his old Suzuki for a Onan diesel.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:06 AM

I was at at streetrod meet Fri night and one of the food vendors had a 7000 w contractor gen running behind a building. You could clearly hear it almost 2 blocks away. It was wide open all around and just a short muffler. I think it was a Mac bright yellow. The noisiest gen I've ever heard. I sure would hate to have to insulate that one.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:41 PM

I have the Champion 3500. I would buy another one. The only problem I've had is when I put Amsoil synth. in it , the low oil sensor would cut it off. I just unplug the sensor 'till the oil warms up & then it's good to go for about 12 hrs. on one tankful.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:00 PM

The yamaha 3000 ISEB is a great generator. You can hardly hear it running and it will power an AC just fine
Old 07-03-2007, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
OK.. been doing some reading... the NPS reg's state " 60dB at 50 feet"... so 50 foot away from the gen, it cant be louder than 60dB.. that about equals a vacuum cleaner running.
There is a large thread on RV.net about the China and the Canadian generators that have been hitting the US market.
I am looking at a Champion RV ready
generator, non-inverter type, 3500sustained watts and 4450 surge. 63 dB at 23 feet....average price $350....
the reviews over there have been good, anyone here have any experience with them?
( remember, I may be using this two -three weekends a year at most)
I had this "RV ready" Champion generator. It has a 30 amp plug on the distribution panel. It would not run my AC. So I sold it. Not that I use my AC, but those few times I am at a place that is 90+ degrees it would be nice to have.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:34 PM

My Champion 3500 "RV ready" will run my 15K A/C, ALL the lights, fan & the soundsystem w/out any problem @ all. Yours must have been broke or something.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:32 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LFD2037
I have the Champion 3500. I would buy another one. The only problem I've had is when I put Amsoil synth. in it , the low oil sensor would cut it off. I just unplug the sensor 'till the oil warms up & then it's good to go for about 12 hrs. on one tankful.
Champion recommends against using full synthetic in their units. I use a castrol blend (30 wt.) in mine.

Not sure why, but I have read it.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:14 AM
RAF

I just ordered the champion gen from Parts America $345.00 shipped to NJ.
I'll have it on wed.

I have been reading different things about the sound levels.

Question: If your running the AC and lights can you have a normal coversation standing at the gen??

Quick Reply: Selecting a generator for the trailer