Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

A sanity check before I buy...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A sanity check before I buy...

Okay, okay, you convinced me to forget the gassers when it comes to serious towing! But what does everyone think of the rest of my selections below? Anything I'm missing? Any comments or brand recommendations on the mods? I am hoping to get away with a 4X2 (less expensive, better fuel economy, lower ride height, independent front suspension with much less unsprung weight, more even weight distribution, rack and pinion steering, less to go wrong), but will I seriously regret that on occasion when towing? Any input will be greatly appreciated! Thank you for a great resource that will help this newbie to Diesels and towing get it right the first time.

PS: Maybe Mr. Tomeygun would like to E-mail me a quote.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
A few things I might suggest...

A single rear wheel 3500 is probably only a couple hundred more, and has higher payload rating...

Also, with the things you are adding to the SLT, you might price out the Laramie package. I think the dealer can delete the leather if you prefer cloth. (Heated seats are nice).

The hood bug deflector thing I also thought was worthwhile/saves paint.

Lastly, my truck does really poorly in the winter without the front end engaged, but in 4x4 it will go almost anywhere. Resale will probably also be easier with a 4x4, but to each his own.

Good luck.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regretting getting a 4x2 depends on how you tow. If you are towing only on paved or gravel roads in fair weather you shouldn't have any regrets. i haven't towed anywhere that I need 4x4. I got 4x4 because it allows me to go to my mountian cabin with out needing chains in winter. I also use my truck for camping in the desert and on the beaches in Baja.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:55 PM

If it doesn't snow much in N. NJ (being that these trucks could be termed less than good in the slop) you'd be ok with a 4x2. If you do get some slop, you'll love the 4x4. If I bought a 4x2 originally, I'd have already traded it in for a 4x4.

What fuel mileage penalty? I did a trip up to Montclair NJ and back for Christmas and got 20 mpg - so much for the fuel mileage penalty (and I'm running 4.10's).

I love my stick shift, but if I spent much time driving it near the city, I'd certainly go with the auto.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:44 PM

I agree with the rest, go for the Laramie that way you get all the goodies. As far a leather, with the heated seats in NY you will love it, because the CTD take a while to warmup. I would also get the 3500 SRW SB or LB, maybe for you the SB would be better, also most defitnalty go for the 4X4, you are in NJ an it always snows there yo will regret the 4X2 by the end of the winter wet stuff.
Don't do the Soft bed rug liner, you should go with a Line-X or Rhino liner in the bed and make sure it's over the rail, then if you want a Soft bedrug liner to put ontop of that then go for it. I would rethink the softtop and go for a Fold-a-cover. They are hard and allow you to stow stuff with less of chance of you freinds an neighbors borrowing them They also let you lock the back of the truck for a super big trunk
As far as the bra, FORGETA ABOUT IT. It will rub the paint off due to salt and road dirt. Go for the bug defector instead.
Hey you asked and we aren't afraid to give advice
Old 12-26-2004, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally from my experience.... a 4x2 is only half a truck....

You never appreciate the 4x4 until you've had it and then don't have it anymore. I'd go for it.

But everyone is looking for something different I guess.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:53 PM

Question

Dodge must have made a mistake when they put IFS on mine.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:19 PM

- 17" x 8.0" Forged Aluminum Wheels
- Light Group (mandatory with Power Sunroof according to Dodge.com)
- Fog Lamps
all come with the Laramie J package. I'd seriously considering going this route. Add $140 for the heated seats for the leather that comes in the package.

Regardless of how long you plan to keep it, I think you should go with the 4x4 and definitely get the 3500.

Goto Edmunds or a similar site and price out a 3500 Laramie J and you'll see how close the truck your considering and that one is in $$. Make sure you check off shortbed so you won't build one with the dually as that will throw off your pricing.

Good luck in your decision. (You've come to the right place for info )
Old 12-26-2004, 08:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Or you can wait till "06" and get a new 4500? May be worth the 6 month wait.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:35 PM

You said you want something w/ rack and pinion steering...you want power steering, especially for towing. The Cummins engine is pretty heavy and it would be hard to steer a rack n pinion. Also, if you get into a tight spot on pavement where you have to back up a trailer, you're gonna want power steering.

I grew up in PA...I know NJ has about the same weather...and therefore, I know you don't want a 4x2. A 4x2 w/ a heavy front end would get stuck on spit, even in city driving. You guys don't get much snow, but you get a lot of sloppy stuff, which is worse than snow.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:12 PM

As far as the cover goes I would go with the Retrax, great cover and does not require any drilling. Will stop and lock at any length. Good luck. If you need a link to the Retrax let me know.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
A couple of other things popped into my mind...

If you are going to do your own service work, don't forget to include a manual in the deal.

I would also recommend a set of the rear wheel liners. They really keep the salt/muck/gunk off the underside of the body.

Put Stone guard on the fog lights as soon as you get the truck. DC gets like $114 each for replacements...

Also, I meant to say "welcome" on my reply above, as I see you are new here. Lots of great people here that I've found to be really helpful.

EDIT** Don't forget to get the trailer tow mirrors.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:58 PM
jka

Hi there!

With a 32 ft. 8900 lb. trailer in tow at least go for the long wheel base. The longer a tow vehicle is the more stable it will be when towing. If I was you I'd opt. for the 3500 (it's not that much more money and with the 900 lb. tongue weight of your trailer you'll be better off). You can load it up and you wont have to worry. We pull a 30 ft. trailer about 6000 lbs. with a 2500 short box and it's okay but my next truck will be a 3500 dually.

I've driven both 2 wd. and 4 wd. 2003 duallies and the 2 wd. feels like it's glued to the road. The rack and pinion steering on the 2 wd. is solid.

Go for the six speed for towing and you'll have control over what your motor is doing instead of an automatic. You'll get a little better mileage and a higher tow rating and in my opinion a more reliable transmission.

If it even looks like it is going to snow a 2 wd. truck will get stuck. If that's a major consideration you better go 4 wd.

You didn't mention what rear end? 4.10 or 3.73. That's a whole other discusssion. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Do some reading on this site and you'll get some good information.

Do your homework and get out and drive a few different trucks before you decide.

Bet we all got you thinking.

Good luck and enjoy your new truck!
Old 12-28-2004, 12:26 AM

Serious towing?

Loose the slushbox.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:43 AM

I dunno, if you guys have ever driven much around NYC gridlock, the handshaker would get old pretty quick. I was thinking that exact same thing the day after Christmas parked in it.

Quick Reply: A sanity check before I buy...