Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

RV - does the generator charge the batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phabib
You're right about the Aux start. It allows you to start the engine from the house battery if you drain the engine battery.

Do you have power to the converter? If no, fix it. If yes.

Is the converter putting out power. if no, get the PD converter. If yes, your battery should charge.
Maybe this is a stupid question but - what is a converter? Is this something outside of the generator itself? If so where would I find it?
Old 07-17-2008, 06:41 AM

The convertor is located in the coach and takes 120AC and coverts it to 12vdc for use by 12vdc lights, etc. They have an internal trickle charge system for the RV batteries. This charger is usually pretty lame and does not work too well. I allways use a seperate battery charger and have a blade switch on my batteries so I can disconnect them when sitting in a park with power or at home. Some trickle chargers will overcharge and destroy the batteries.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:32 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by CarlJensen
This charger is usually pretty lame and does not work too well. Some trickle chargers will overcharge and destroy the batteries.
Carl, do yourself a favor and go buy a new multiple voltage converter, sometimes called "smart chargers". These monitor the condition of the battery, will charge when low at a fairly high rate, then back the voltage down (and charging current) as the battery charges to the point they are strictly maintenance voltage. You can leave the rig plugged in all the time and it will not overcharge the batteries. It will extend the life on your batteries and in so doing save the price of the converter in several battery change outs. I use an inverter that is also a smart charger - - love it. It is definitely not lame - - it can charge at rates up to 100 amps pending the size of the battery bank. If further monitors the temperature of the batteries and adjusts the charging current so that is does not harm the batteries if they are getting too hot.
Bob
Old 07-17-2008, 08:53 AM

Thanks!!

Next time we are out I will try to find this "converter" thingy. I found some pictures online so at least I now know what they look like.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:38 PM

I don't have a generator, but the inverter on my TT has blown the fuse a couple times which doesn't allow the 120 shore power to charge the onboard batteries. Quick fix if that's it.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:53 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by DVANN
I don't have a generator, but the inverter on my TT has blown the fuse a couple times which doesn't allow the 120 shore power to charge the onboard batteries. Quick fix if that's it.
I think that would be the first place to look..
Old 07-17-2008, 02:23 PM

On my unit, when you unplug your power form 110 at home, you have to plug the same plug into one on the electrical box on the RV. If I do not do this, I won't get any 110 power to RV when the generator is on. Also, there is a fuse right the converter you might want to check.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sgt. Peper
On my unit, when you unplug your power form 110 at home, you have to plug the same plug into one on the electrical box on the RV. If I do not do this, I won't get any 110 power to RV when the generator is on. Also, there is a fuse right the converter you might want to check.
Ding ding ding we have a winner. There is a a place to plug in the power coard usally near where the power cord is located that comes from the generator. You have to plug in the power coard to that to get power from the generator if you don't no power from the gen set.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:41 AM

Thanks Fiver Bob. I will check these out. All ways glad to spend scarce extra money on something that really works!!
Old 07-18-2008, 05:46 PM

UPDATE !!

I found the converter you guys were talking about (under one of the seats) and it works great. If I measure the voltage at the DC output connections on the converter with the generator off I get about 12.2 V. If I start the generator it goes up to 13.6 V.

So the problem is somewhere between the converter and the battery. I assume there must be a relay, diode, isolater or bad connection somewhere in there causing the problems. I should be able to figure that one out on my own!

Thanks for the help !!