Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

ride rite air bags

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ride rite air bags

Hey there, I'm thinking of trying some air suspension on my '01 dually. I have a flat deck on the truck that when loaded heavy, I get a bit of rubbing on my outside tire. This is due to the deck needing to be shimmed a couple of inches. This is not going to be a real easy job and I was thinking that bags would give me a two inch lift and more stability when loaded up.

Other question, currently the back end appears higher at the moment which is fine, does anyone do the airbags on the front too or is this a dumb idea? I find my front end sort of bottoms out with the weight of the cummins motor on railway crossings and the like. Is anyone running air on all tires, I'd like to learn more. Please respond. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2006, 10:29 PM

I don't really care for air bags kits. They are something else to go wrong and maintain.

I like these Timbren Overloads

Unlike airbags, Timbrens when loaded will almost eliminate bodyroll and porpoising. If set up properly, unloaded they will not affect ride.

Monster Trucks use them for bumpstops.

I guessing if the front is bottoming out....you need shocks.

Airbags are intended to just increase spring rate....leveling the load. Shocks control axle movement rates.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:14 AM

I've used ride rite air bags on my 2500 and will use them on my 3500 dually. You can level the truck with any load as they are a spring helper. I modified mine though as the ride was harsh with the load heavy and air pressure up. I installed a reservoir so there was much more capacity in the system. This allowed the air bags to help carry the load but not spike in pressure when going over bumps. Works very well. I've had zero maintenance issues with the ride rites.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:43 AM

I like my air bags alot better handling. As for those timbrens,, your back end has to drop, according to the proper setup it says set them about 1 inch gap, so with them your back end has to drop 1 in before they do anything, as with airbags, you can bring the back end back up to the exact height as to keep the headlights aligned right and keep the wheel alignment proper to. I have been in a truck with the timbrens and i would not want them if you pull alot, if you pull 2-3 times a year, then yes timbrens are a cheap alternative to the airbags
Old 08-15-2006, 10:20 AM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

I understand the timberlines don't do well in cold weather. Any way I have air bags and have no problems with them.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:30 AM

I had Timbrens on my Titan and wouldn't hesitate to buy them for my Megacab. They are totally unobtrusive when unloaded and then add support when loaded enough to need them. Sometimes airbags can be a bit harsh when unloaded because of the minimum air pressure requirement. Timbrens are not.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCooter
I don't really care for air bags kits. They are something else to go wrong and maintain.

I like these Timbren Overloads

Unlike airbags, Timbrens when loaded will almost eliminate bodyroll and porpoising. If set up properly, unloaded they will not affect ride.

Monster Trucks use them for bumpstops.

I guessing if the front is bottoming out....you need shocks.

Airbags are intended to just increase spring rate....leveling the load. Shocks control axle movement rates.

I have run air bags and no problems..I guess as long as they are installed right you shouldn't have any maintenance issues.I mean,look at all the big trucks up and down the highways.......
Old 08-15-2006, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by doznfire
I have run air bags and no problems..I guess as long as they are installed right you shouldn't have any maintenance issues.I mean,look at all the big trucks up and down the highways.......

That's all well and good....... On OTR trucks.

The air hardware that Firestone sends to install the kit is crap.

I got sick of fixing these problems on my clients vehicles and quit selling air bags.

I understand many of you don't have any problems.

I'm just a guy that doesn't like gadgets that will require fixing down the road. I install the Timbrens and never hear about loading problems again.

Agreed, airbags have thier place....just not in my shop.

Bags won't fix the bottoming problem either.

There is my $.10!
Old 08-15-2006, 11:52 PM

I'm probably in need of new front shocks, I noticed there are two different brands on my front end, one is likely dead. In my archive searches, it seems there is a case for both. I think I'm partial to the air bags in the back to get a tiny bit of lift for my deck. I'll start with a manual inflation kit and try running 10 psi all the time. I'm not too concerned about it riding a bit rough, it's my work truck and I'm loaded up or towing most of the time. Thanks for the valid imput for both designs.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:44 PM

timbrens here.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:58 PM

Smile

I like the Timbrens, good value, no maint, no adding removing air, no impact on "unloaded" ride, easy install and removal! Nuf said!
Old 08-18-2006, 08:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I run overload springs on my '98, and airbags on my '05... both Rams are loaded the same as service trucks (@10K #) and have anti-sway bars in the rear. The '05 rides better, handles better and was easier to install & adjust - I'm sold on the bags!
Old 08-18-2006, 08:57 PM

I have the firestone brand air bags and I wouldnt go any other way. I haul a heavy pickup camper and a 4000#boat all over the northwest .They were easy to install and I can adjust each side seperatly from inside the cab. Also works great for leveling the camper when parked. It helped a bunch with cornering with the camper.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by chinook country
I'm probably in need of new front shocks, I noticed there are two different brands on my front end, one is likely dead. In my archive searches, it seems there is a case for both. I think I'm partial to the air bags in the back to get a tiny bit of lift for my deck. I'll start with a manual inflation kit and try running 10 psi all the time. I'm not too concerned about it riding a bit rough, it's my work truck and I'm loaded up or towing most of the time. Thanks for the valid imput for both designs.
THEY HAVE AIR BAGS FOR THE FRONT ALSO...THEY ARE blue AND GO INSIDE THE COIL SPRINGS
Old 02-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by belgianmagic
THEY HAVE AIR BAGS FOR THE FRONT ALSO...THEY ARE blue AND GO INSIDE THE COIL SPRINGS
Not for our Dodges they don't.

We have a shock inside our coil springs, so there's no room for an air bag. Those bags are made for vehicles that have a coil spring with the shock mounted on the outside.

BTW - Did you notice this thread is over 6 months old?