Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Report on Sewer Solutions thingy - for the RVer's

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 09:36 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Report on Sewer Solutions thingy - for the RVer's

I was just reflecting how we pass on tips to each other and I have not passed on one that I am sold on. I have had motorhomes and now the fiver for over 30 years. (ahhhhh shut up, I know I am an "old Goat") The most unpleasant thing about RVing is dumping the tanks. Not any more.

Just before leaving for Alaska, I decided to try something I had heard about called Sewer Solution. Several of my friends had them and raved about them. Mine came in just before leaving. It is great.

Sewer Solution consists of the cap that goes on the outlet connection, a 10' 1-1/4" partially clear hose and universal style tight fitting end for the in-ground sewer pipe. I bought a 10' additional length of hose so I can reach a total of 20'. This requires a water hose to be connected at the head of the connector at the Rv. The unit uses a small water jet to break up paper and solids and pumps them thru the hose. It will pump drainage uphill about 2' in 20'. This means you can forget about your slinky or boards or whatever you are using to get up and over the elevated drain pipe. The whole thing, all 20' rolls up into a small coil like a hose. I was able to discard my 20' of 3" blue "forever leaking little fountains" hose that was so hard to clean due to its corrugation and very bulky to pack. I now just keep one ten foot 3" section for using at dump stations - - this fits in my hose storage in the side of the fiver.

If all that isn't good enough, this thing washes itself out while using it so when you remove the contraption, a little rinse of the head and the tail and it is ready to stow. It is a little slower using than the normal 3" hose, but the advantages are fantastic. It can be ordered online. Oh, you can drive over the hose and not hurt it and NO MORE BROWN FOUNTAINS. One of the nasties of camping has been whipped.

Bob
Old 10-25-2005, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't heard that one , I've been using alternative energy for 25 yrs. ,something thats comin in that world is dry composting toylets , the end result in a RV 1-2 pepole 6-12 mnths empty a drawer at the bottom , chem. free , you can use as compost in garden , they make em for uses up to full time houses 5 person . I side benafit that I realy like is swap out my black tank and now I can carry 100 gals. insted of 50 gals. fresh water.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by FiverBob
I was able to discard my 20' of 3" blue "forever leaking little fountains" hose that was so hard to clean due to its corrugation and very bulky to pack. I now just keep one ten foot 3" section for using at dump stations - - this fits in my hose storage in the side of the fiver.

Oh, you can drive over the hose and not hurt it and NO MORE BROWN FOUNTAINS. One of the nasties of camping has been whipped.

Bob
LOL! Guess you've been having problems with your 'stinky slinky'!

I used to use a Sewer Solution with my first truck camper. It turned into WAY too much trouble to find/use a water supply, and then try to pump the tank contents down that little garden hose. Took too long to get everything hooked up and running.

Now I use the regular 3 in corrugated hose- the grey colored HD type. 20 feet of it fit nicely inside the rear bumper. No problems with cleaning it if you dump the black tank first, then dump the grey tank to wash it out. Takes all of 2 minutes to hook up and dump. And in 3 seasons of use, I've never had the BROWN FOUNTAIN problem- maybe because I've never run over it?

To each his own...
Old 10-25-2005, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by roadranger
I used to use a Sewer Solution with my first truck camper. It turned into WAY too much trouble to find/use a water supply, and then try to pump the tank contents down that little garden hose. Took too long to get everything hooked up and running.

To each his own...
Gee, since you have used one, I am amazed by your reply. Let me get this straight - - it is too much trouble hooking it up. Are you sure we are talking about the same device???

1) I always install a "Y" valve on my water supply whether I use this device or not for a second water hose - - and yes, I do have to find a water supply
2) The part that installs on the RV goes on the very same way as the old hose
3) The adapter at the sewer pipe is extremely innovative allowing installation in either a 3" or 4" pipe with an air tight secure connection - - no donuts, no rocks or weights needed to stop it flying out of the hole when you release a valve.
4) No slinkies or blocks needed to raise the hose to allow smooth flow or uphill flow
5) The water hose installs with a quick connect - - might take 10 seconds to install
6) The device is self cleaning and rinsing
7) Stores in about 1/6th the space
8) The hose is extremely strong and flexible and is not a garden hose - - it is 1-1/4" - - I think that is at least twice as large as any garden hose you (and I) have.

Yep, it does take longer to dump - - that is why I keep a short normal sewer hose around for the dump station. I plan my dump when hooked up accordingly.

You are right - - been there, done that - - don't like the old way - - to each his own. I guess that is why they make Ferds and Chubbies.

PuzzledBob
Old 10-25-2005, 06:44 PM

I have been using this device since I got my 5ver in April. I used the stinky slinky once, and bought a Sewer Solution. This device is an excellent addition to your sewer needs. But I still keep the stinky slinky in case I am dumping at a location that has no fresh water source.

Best part of it is you get to rinse your tank really well when you dump. I have not had any odor issues at all with this system.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by cheff
Best part of it is you get to rinse your tank really well when you dump. I have not had any odor issues at all with this system.
Thanks for bringing that up - - I forgot that. This sucker has a directional valve on it that allows the water jet to spray into your holding tank to rinse it if your pipe is not too long or crooked. Mine is both, so that feature does not apply to mine - - hence I forgot it. Getting soooo old and feeeeeeble and seeeeeenile.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:39 PM

I have found the slow dump approach does not clean the tank very well. I have a buildup after using the pump. Any chance I get to use the 3in hose, I will. I have a macerator pump, An electric equivilant to your water driven unit. Makes a nice way to fill a portapotty.......
Old 10-26-2005, 12:55 PM

That sounds like a cool deal Bob. Wish we would have had one of those on our old TT.

We have a SAN-T-FLUSH system in our new 5ver. There is a water hose connection on the side of the RV that pipes into the black tank. Inside the tank, there are spray jets that blast the tank clean. Seems to clean the stinky slinky very well also. Easy to use, just open the tank let it drain, hook up the water hose, stand around for a few minutes and you’re done.

Old 10-27-2005, 02:10 PM

Flash,
I have that also - - built into our unit. It works great with this sewer kit. The best part of this contraption is the cleanliness of the whole thing and it's compactness. I always dump a bucket or two of water down the toilet after it is empty anyway - - it is amazing how much more "stuff" will come out even after the sprayer has done its thing.

Bob
Old 10-27-2005, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by FiverBob
Flash,
I have that also - - built into our unit. It works great with this sewer kit. The best part of this contraption is the cleanliness of the whole thing and it's compactness. I always dump a bucket or two of water down the toilet after it is empty anyway - - it is amazing how much more "stuff" will come out even after the sprayer has done its thing.

Bob

While we are on the subject of stinky. Do you ever have any trouble with blow back smell from your gray tank when you are hooked up in a park? Sometimes when it's windy, I have to close the gray and galley tank valves to keep the smell out of the house. I have read about the spinning thingys you can put on your vent pipe, know anything about them?
Old 10-27-2005, 05:20 PM

I never leave any of my valves open when parked except on one motorhome that had the three tank setup - - I left the shower valve open. Too many times you forget to close them soon enough before emptying the black and then you don't have sufficient gray stored up to get a good rinse. However, that is not as important an issue when using this sewer setup.

If you wish to leave your gray valves open, the easiest way to cure the problem of blow back is make sure you have a low spot in your sewer hose - - in other words, make a P trap. You can use wheel chocks for making that low spot real easy. Put two chocks about 1' apart and place your hose across them allowing slack in the hose. When you dump the first time, some water will stay in that low spot between the chocks and block any fumes from coming up the pipe. If you do this near the coach, you will only block water within the trap. Works good.
Bob
Old 10-27-2005, 05:45 PM

Great idea! Thanks Bob.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:47 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Sure Bob tell me about this now.
Where were you when we had hail that perforated the blue hose but I did not know until I was getting a brown fountain in my shoe from the holes...looked like a giant soaker hose when I opened up the valve. What a mess.

Scottyhavingaflashbackofthedoodoosprinkler
Old 10-27-2005, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Scotty
Sure Bob tell me about this now.
Where were you when we had hail that perforated the blue hose but I did not know until I was getting a brown fountain in my shoe from the holes...looked like a giant soaker hose when I opened up the valve. What a mess.

Scottyhavingaflashbackofthedoodoosprinkler
Poor baby - - him had a stinky shoe. Now you know how your mommy felt when you did the same thing.

Hey, been there and done that. Hate those stupid hoses - - you buy a new one and the next thing you know it is a fountain. I stored in the bumper on one of my gasser MH's, and the bumper rusted inside from all the moisture. Wondered why the hoses kept getting holes in them until I (duhhhh) realized the inside of that storage area was all rough from the rust. Drive down the road bumping along and wearing holes in the hose.

Hey Scotty, the water lines all frozen up there yet?

SunnyBob
Old 10-28-2005, 09:07 AM

I got the Sewer Solution this past spring and 1st used it on our Myrlte Beach trip. I found it as easy to connect as the 3" hose and much easier for clean out and clean up after dumping. I store it all assemble in a "Stuff Bag" from Walmart. I got one of those aux faucets from CW that screws into the camper city water inlet. I use a separate hose with backflow valve to run the SS and rinser.
I also leave my grey tank open when hooked up and have never had any blow back of fumes.
I did find out, though that the slow dump rate was leaving residual "matter" in the black tank. I installed a Tornado rinser in the tank on Labor Day weekend and it works OK. I gave the black tank a real good cleaning after our last outing of the year Columbus Day weekend and now the level gauge actually works. A lot of extra prizes came out with the additional flushing action.
I also still carry my stinky slinkys (10' and 20') but next year I will bring just one in case I have to use a dump station.

Quick Reply: Report on Sewer Solutions thingy - for the RVer's