Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Replacing flooring in RV

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing flooring in RV

I tore out my carpet and am in the process fo putting down linoleum. Had a nasty surprise when I got the floor out. I had a rotten spot right inside the front door in the corner. Never saw any water but there is definately a leak. Apparantly the water has been leaking around the door, running down the wall and right back out through the bolt hole that holds on the steps to the under side of the trailer. I have all that taken care of but I also have some repairs to do under the kitchen cabinet which is gonna be a booger to get to. My question is how much trouble is it to remove the lower sheet of aluminum siding from outside? I have a '94 Dutchman 30' bumper pull.
I not only need to replace some of the plywood flooring but the 2x4 that runs lengthwise on the floor. (floor joist or header)? Not sure of the proper name but the one the wall studs sit on.
Would appreciate any info from anyone that has tackled a project like this.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:04 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
The elusive name for that 2 x 4 is a "plate". You are in for a mess if you wish to completely remove the bottom piece of aluminum. That is the first piece on and the last piece off. Your best bet might be to see if you can loosen it from the bottom and only peel it up a bit being careful not to dent it - - it is soft and thin. Make your repairs, re-staple it, then cover the staples with a small trim strip of aluminum angle. Not fun but doable. Aluminum wholesalers have lots of different types of colored trims available.
Bob