Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Real world comparison

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 07:08 PM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Real world comparison

I sold 30 4x5 rolls of coastal hay to my neighbors B.I.L. We made arrangements for me to load the hay and bring the first load to my place and meet him here. Due to the fact that he also needed to use my trailer to haul it with. I loaded 15 rolls and drove 55-60 MPH back to the house dropped the trailer and let him hook up. Now this is where the story gets good he has a new 6.0 1-ton ford with auto he could not move the trailer lots of smoke and clatter but no moving. I hooked up to the load moved it to a down hill spot. Let him hook back up to it and he made it to where he was going brought the trailer back and asked me what I would charge to bring the next load to his house. I had to pass a truck stop on the way so I stopped and weighed the load. Gross Wt was only 28,000 and that was my truck trailer and the hay.
I’m not bashing here just thought it was interesting that the auto would not pull the load at all when my standard walked off with it.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re:Real world comparison

This isn't the first time I have heard about the new Ford 6.0L not being able to get a heavy load moving. At the dieselstop.com there's some dicussions on the issue. Ford and Navistar did a really good job of getting a diesel to act like a gasser.

MikeyB
Old 12-15-2003, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But those 6.0's can pull airplanes and ships can't they??

Gotta love these old "tractor" engines, huh? Nice story.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recall someone mentioning that the Allison limits hp and/or torque in 1st and 5th so maybe the Ford auto does the same. This would be very apparent when a bit overloaded, which I think 28k lbs is. This would be a consistent observation with loads close to or over maximum as most GM and Ford trucks have autos and I think that most Dodges still have sticks.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:28 PM

Wow that is surprising. I have a 40' flat bed that I haul 2 trucks on, it grosses out at about 31,000#. Any way have a friend that always brags up his 99 ford 7.3. Was going to have him pull it this past summer to compare but never got around to it, maybe next year.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:46 PM
DPG

I don't think that the comparison is between transmissions, but between engines. I was talking to a die-hard Powerstroke guy at the diesel pumps a couple of days ago. He's going to buy a Dodge/Cummins next time, because he just can't bring himself to buy a 6.0.

DeWain
Old 12-15-2003, 08:02 PM
Urban Legend

Actually, my thoughts where on the transmission. The motor was staining and smoking up a storm but the transmission just would not hookup and pull. Mainly just a look at the difference between auto and stick. However I have a friend that has the Chevy with the Alison. He and I have been talking and the next load that compares with the one that I had this weekend he has agreed to try his luck. I think that he will have better luck than the ford. He may not pull it as easy as the stick but he should be able to make good highway speeds. So far he has been very happy with the beer can motor. He is getting 17-19 mpg. And pulls a 28’ 5ver about once a month mileage drops to 9-10mpg. Truck is a little over a year old with 38k on it. All in all this should be a pretty close comparison. We will park the trailer in the same spot as for the ford and see what happens.

Trending Topics

Old 12-15-2003, 08:11 PM

Did they change the tranny for the 6.0l? I have a friend that sells and hauls alflafa hay up here. He has a 2001 or 02 7.3PSD auto trans. He regularly grosses 30+k lbs. and has been close to 40klbs a couple times. He has never complained about not being about not being able to move any load.

Joe
Old 12-15-2003, 08:25 PM
Urban Legend

To tell you the truth I would not have believed it if I where hearing it from second hand. But it happened in my own front yard and I saw it with my own eyes. Up until now I had mostly thought that most of the brand wars were just that. But this was not a good thing. Also I’m not sure what change if any Ford made to go with the new motor. Up until now if I were buying a truck for use in a fleet I would have most likely bought a Ford ,but now I’m not so sure.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:34 PM

[quote author=Mopar_Mudder link=board=11;threadid=23721;start=0#msg223949 date=1071527334]
Wow that is surprising. I have a 40' flat bed that I haul 2 trucks on, it grosses out at about 31,000#. Any way have a friend that always brags up his 99 ford 7.3. Was going to have him pull it this past summer to compare but never got around to it, maybe next year.
[/quote](Gross Wt was only 28,000 and that was my truck trailer and the hay.)

Man, aren't you guys worried about being grossly overloaded; safety wise? I thought my truck and fiver felt too heavy and when I hit the scales it was only 17,000...well within the limits. Be safe! ;D
Old 12-15-2003, 09:00 PM
Urban Legend

Had good brakes and tires on truck and trailer plus one way trip only about 20 miles. Yes technically it was an overload but the truck will handle more. Sometimes you just do these things when doing farm work.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:21 PM

I think its a transmission issue as well. I call it transmission stall. Saw this once when a friend took a 35 foot boat to the boat ramp, but couldn't pull it back up the ramp. His auto tranny was "stuck". Fortunately a 4x4 was watching, he hooked up to the front of the van and pulled everything up the ramp.

Old 12-15-2003, 10:08 PM

28,000 lbs How much will my truck haul now and how much could it haul with a DTT transmission and some more upgrades?
Old 12-15-2003, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that the gross and gross combined weight are primarily determined by the axles and secondarily by engine output and type of tranmission, short of directly limiting output. Look at some of the heavily modified 1/2 ton vehicles on the street with real big tires, big engines, and big lifts, but also often with real small looking axles. It doesn't matter how big the engine is, it won't tow much unless the rest of the vehicle is built to handle the load.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:25 PM
Urban Legend

Remember 28,000 is the gross wt not payload. Hauling in Dixie hauls this much on a regular basis. The thing is factory Ford auto with new 6.0 ver factory Chevy auto with Duramax ver factory Dodge standard with 5.9.

Quick Reply: Real world comparison