Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Questions for hot shot drivers

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions for hot shot drivers

Have a question for the experts. I am going to purchase a 20+5 GN trailer with a rating of 14K., 2 axles, single wheels. It's main purpose is an upgrade to haul my tractor for my dirt/mowing business. My question is, would it be worth it to do some "light weight" hauling? Since I would be under 26K and not need a CDL. Would the loads be there? Would it be worth the investment? I'm assuming I would still need insurance. I'm trying to diversify a little so as to give me options in the present economy. All opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
If you're going to haul for hire, then you will need the CDL regardless of weight. Plus you will need the insurance and registration to be a commercial carrier. Unless you have quite a bit of work, it may not be worth the trouble.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AggieJustin
If you're going to haul for hire, then you will need the CDL regardless of weight. Plus you will need the insurance and registration to be a commercial carrier. Unless you have quite a bit of work, it may not be worth the trouble.
100% wrong. A cdl is only needed if your gcwr is over 26k. I run under 26k and have done so for the last 5years and about 800,000 miles and do NOT have a cdl. I have DL classified for me to be legal to 26k.

As far as insurance, thats going to make any type of hauling part time not work. Commercial liability and cargo runs anywhere from 6-12k a year. Plus you would also have to get your own authority.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:45 PM

I figured the insurance would negate the deal. It's not going to be worth it to spend that kind of money on insurance. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by haulin-rv
100% wrong. A cdl is only needed if your gcwr is over 26k. I run under 26k and have done so for the last 5years and about 800,000 miles and do NOT have a cdl. I have DL classified for me to be legal to 26k.

As far as insurance, thats going to make any type of hauling part time not work. Commercial liability and cargo runs anywhere from 6-12k a year. Plus you would also have to get your own authority.
Interesting. I always thought you had to have the CDL to get the insurance and registration to haul commercial. Good to know...
Old 10-22-2008, 10:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A friend hauls trailers for someone in Ok. I believe El Reno.
He works through a broker and pays $50 per month for insurance.
I thinks he gets 1.75 mile one way. Sometimes gets loads both ways.
Sometimes he pulls 2 trailers and gets 2.20 mile one way.
One time he had to backup to keep from getting hit and damaged the trailers.He had to pay for that one.

Tom
Old 10-29-2008, 08:45 PM

Cargo, $1M Liability(what most states require for commercial), Physical damage on truck and trailer(comp & collision) costs me about $900 a month. Plus $550 annual registration fee for the truck. Now I am over 26K I am plated for 32K. So I also have to pay IFTA taxes.

As far as having a CDL. It depends on the total combined gross weight of your truck and trailer. If your truck has a GWR of 17K and your trailer has a GWR of 10K, you have to have a CDL. The combined weight is 27K. This applies regardless of how the vehicles are licenced.

Regardless of weight, you have to have proper operating authority for the area(s) you run in. Which causes a whole lot of paperwork. Enough to keep a full time person busy. I would only do this if it were going to be the main scope of my business.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:55 PM

cdl is for over 26k and you will need cargo ins. because most places require it. check with your state's dot to see what they require. They will be able to give you the correct answers that apply to your state when you cross statelines then its federal.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by 58fordf100
Cargo, $1M Liability(what most states require for commercial), Physical damage on truck and trailer(comp & collision) costs me about $900 a month. Plus $550 annual registration fee for the truck. Now I am over 26K I am plated for 32K. So I also have to pay IFTA taxes.

As far as having a CDL. It depends on the total combined gross weight of your truck and trailer. If your truck has a GWR of 17K and your trailer has a GWR of 10K, you have to have a CDL. The combined weight is 27K. This applies regardless of how the vehicles are licenced.

Regardless of weight, you have to have proper operating authority for the area(s) you run in. Which causes a whole lot of paperwork. Enough to keep a full time person busy. I would only do this if it were going to be the main scope of my business.
I don't doubt it's done this way but that's not the way it should be . They should go by the GCWR of the tow vehicle .
Old 11-03-2008, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by RickG
I don't doubt it's done this way but that's not the way it should be . They should go by the GCWR of the tow vehicle .
I agree. It shouldn't be that way.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by 58fordf100

Close but not correct. Here are a couple scenarios.

Truck gvwr 10500 trailer gvwr 16000. Total gcwr 26500. Class A cdl required.

Truck gvwr 19500 trailer gvwr 10000. Total gcwr 29500. Class C only needed.

Trick is with a class c I can drive a truck up to 26000 gvwr AND pull a trailer up to 10000 gvwr if the trailer is over 10000 then a class A is needed.

Here are the classifications.

The Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 established a uniform national classification system. As a result, the Illinois driver's license classification system was changed in April 1990 to the following:

Class A
Any combination of vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds provided the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds. (Holders of a Class A license may, with appropriate endorsements, operate all vehicles within Class B, C and D.)

Class B
Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR. (Holders of a Class B license may, with any appropriate endorsements, operate all vehicles within Class C and D.)

Class C
Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 16,001 pounds but less than 26,001 pounds GVWR; or

Any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR; or

Any vehicle 26,000 pounds (GVWR) or less designed to transport 16 or more people or used in the transportation of hazardous materials which requires the vehicle to be placarded; or

Any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less or with a GCWR of 26,000 pounds or less. (Holder of a Class C license may operate all vehicles within Class D.)

Class D
Any single vehicle with a GVWR 16,000 pounds or less that is not designed to transport 16 or more people; or

Any single vehicle with a GVWR 16,000 pounds or less that is not used in the transportation of hazardous materials which requires the vehicle to be placarded; or

Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 16,000 pounds or less towing any vehicle providing the GCWR does not exceed 26,000 pounds.

Note: Holders of a Class D license may operate all vehicles within Class D and may operate rental vehicles up to 26,000 pounds when transporting an individual's own personal property or that of an immediate family member for non-business purposes within the State of Illinois.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:36 PM

well then he still would need one due to the fact of your class c says his trailer cannot exceede 10k most trailers that are single wheel have no less then 7k axles. but the best advice for him is to contact HIS states dot dept and get the correct legal answers from his state. but i do believe the rule told to me by txdot is that if it is a gross combo over 26 you need a class a. at least when they gave me my warning ticket about 10 yrs ago thats what the trooper told me.