Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Question for the smart ones

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for the smart ones

I pull a 2001 Ragen Toy box. The thing runs about 6K empty. I own a 04 Ram Quad Cab 4x4 with the HO in it.

I had a 96 Ford with a PS in it. The question deals specifically with the brake controller and associated parts. Break Controller is about 3 years old and has worked perfectly, until three weeks ago. I had my 96 Ford and was pulling the trailer, when, in the streets of ST. George UT, i had to hit the binders pretty hard. I lost the breaks and couldn't figure out why. Fuse on the truck was fine and the Drawtite Activator break controller's light was very dim when I hit the breaks or used the test slide button.

Forward three weeks. Break controller is now in the 04 Ram and the breaks worked fine this morning towing the trailer in for service. Controller's light was nice and bright and the breaks as well as the slide control worked like a champ. I picked the trailer up and I got the dim light back with the breaks in operable. I didn't even mash the binder peddle but realized that they were dead before I even left the dealership where the service was being done. I hopped out about three miles down the road and checked the fuse panel - FINE, checked the connections on the plug from the trailer and gave them a little extra bite. Still no break function.

Any clues?

Do these things go out (break controllers) over time? Could a hard stop burn something up on the controller? Any body have an idea?

HELP!!!

I posted this on the TDR as well, I need to figure this out before Thursday, as the family is set for Coral Pink and a little bit of quad riding.

Old 09-16-2003, 09:20 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Question for the smart ones

sounds like a short some were either in your wires or internally. best bet would be to find a friend with a good working one and run it to see if you get the same problem.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:59 PM
Banned

is it really worth your time trying to fix it?
Old 09-17-2003, 08:49 AM
Banned

I had a break controller that operated fine and then it would flip-out and not work. I could smack it and it would come back on and work fine. The whole process had no pattern, might work fine for 500 miles or 4, all wiring conections were solid, and the trailer was good. The problem was internal to the controller, threw it away and now have a prodigy, no problems.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:39 PM

Vnot, sounds like mine. This morning the light is back and bright. Go figure!
Old 09-20-2003, 08:00 PM
Banned

Wouldn't be a ground issue would it?? Try running an independent ground from the trailer to the truck.
Old 09-20-2003, 08:41 PM

First off please take note that I'm not all that smart I just recently had this happen to me too, was a bad ground. The lights were acting strange too when this was going on. Are yours all working?
Hope this helps any.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:08 PM

Is risking your safety worth using a 3 year old controller? Since you didn't say what kind of controller you have, it is likely out of warranty. Upgrade now to either a Prodigy or a Jordan as both are proportional controllers and behave in a predictable manner.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:03 AM
Banned

Sorry Phil I don't buy it. You don't even know if the controller is the problem. Mine is 10 years old and works just fine. No amp meter on it but I know how it works and the trailer stops well. Troubleshoot the system first. May be something as simple as a bad ground, bad connection etc. Then you can suspect the controller. Just because it is 3 years old does not mean it is junk.