Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Question On Hitch Position In Short Bed Dodge Ram

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question On Hitch Position In Short Bed Dodge Ram

A question for those of you towing fivers with a short bed Dodge RAM truck: Where is the center of your hitch in relation to the rear axle? Mine (a Husky 16k w/manual slide) was installed a few inches in front of the rear axle, which is where Dodge recommends, according to the installer. I'm not denying that this isn't the case but I would have preferred that the hitch be centered over the rear axle rather than ahead of it in order to gain a little more cab clearance during turns. My fiver has a 17" extended pin box and thus far I haven't "kissed" the cab of my truck, but I notice that it comes close. If it's truly necessary to leave the mounting in it's current position I can live with it but I'm still curious if anyone has mounted his hitch a little further back. Thanks in advance for your answers and advice...
Old 06-19-2007, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple inches in front of the axle is the ideal place. You could move it back a couple inches but it's not a good idea to have it behind the rear axle at all.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:08 PM

Are you saying that it's still close even with the hitch slid all the way to the back? or it just comes close with it in the front postion?
Old 06-19-2007, 09:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
You want the hitch a few inches forward of the rear axle. The further forward you go, the more weight you transfer to the front axle. If you go directly over the rear axle (or behind it), you're placing more weight on the rear (or unloading from the front if you go too far back)
Old 06-19-2007, 10:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Goi to the Husky hitch web site and look up the installation directions for your hitch & truck. My Reese rails center the hitch over the axle. I think that the directions said to measure 20" from the rear of the box to the back side of the first rail, not sure that measurement is correct but ment to give you an idea of what to look for in the directions. Then see where you are, if wrong make the installer correct them.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Weg

Originally Posted by mr. ed
A question for those of you towing fivers with a short bed Dodge RAM truck: Where is the center of your hitch in relation to the rear axle? Mine (a Husky 16k w/manual slide) was installed a few inches in front of the rear axle, which is where Dodge recommends, according to the installer. I'm not denying that this isn't the case but I would have preferred that the hitch be centered over the rear axle rather than ahead of it in order to gain a little more cab clearance during turns. My fiver has a 17" extended pin box and thus far I haven't "kissed" the cab of my truck, but I notice that it comes close. If it's truly necessary to leave the mounting in it's current position I can live with it but I'm still curious if anyone has mounted his hitch a little further back. Thanks in advance for your answers and advice...

Valley lists two different measurements for their "custom" bracket application for the dodges.

The first for a short bed put the hitch 2" in front of the axle and the hitch should be 28 7/16" from the edge of the bed to the rear rail.

The second measurement they list puts the hitch 1" BEHIND the rear axle and the measurment is 25 3/16" from the edge of the bed to the rear rail.

You can get the complete instruction kits from Valley Industries at http://www.valleyindustries.com/AllItems.aspx and the part # for the Dodge Application is 55110.

Enjoy.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by JuzPlaneKrazy
Are you saying that it's still close even with the hitch slid all the way to the back? or it just comes close with it in the front postion?
It comes close with the slider in the forward (normal towing) position. Of course, a "miss is as good as a mile" but if I can gain an inch or two I'd breathe easier.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Weg
Valley lists two different measurements for their "custom" bracket application for the dodges.

The first for a short bed put the hitch 2" in front of the axle and the hitch should be 28 7/16" from the edge of the bed to the rear rail.

The second measurement they list puts the hitch 1" BEHIND the rear axle and the measurment is 25 3/16" from the edge of the bed to the rear rail.

You can get the complete instruction kits from Valley Industries at http://www.valleyindustries.com/AllItems.aspx and the part # for the Dodge Application is 55110.

Enjoy.
Thanks, Weg. I went to the website you suggested and found it interesting that two possible positions were given, one in front and the other behind the axle. The confusion lies in which position is the most desirable? If I had known before that there were two locations I would have chosen the one further back. At any rate, the fact that my fifth wheel's pin box is 17" long and the front of the trailer angles inwards towards the bottom may be just enough to keep me out of trouble. I would have sure liked a little more margin for error, though.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Weg

Originally Posted by mr. ed
Thanks, Weg. I went to the website you suggested and found it interesting that two possible positions were given, one in front and the other behind the axle. The confusion lies in which position is the most desirable? If I had known before that there were two locations I would have chosen the one further back. At any rate, the fact that my fifth wheel's pin box is 17" long and the front of the trailer angles inwards towards the bottom may be just enough to keep me out of trouble. I would have sure liked a little more margin for error, though.
As mentioned earlier ahead of the axle a few inches is most desirable. I've installed some B&W Gooseneck hitches in some trucks that have measurements to put center of ball as far forward as 6".
Old 06-21-2007, 01:22 AM

I think you made the right decision initially. I've got a short bed, B&W and Companion that has 3 forward-rearward positions. First I set it all the way back to get as much clearance as possible. The ride wasn't that great, it surged over every uneveness in the road. I moved it all the way forward (6") to in front of the axle and it is much better. I can still turn as sharp as I want to, I just pay attention and don't drive blindly.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Banned

Installed mine centered over rear axle. People say in front of axle, people say behind axle. I figured centered would give me the middle of what everyone thought was a good Idea. No problems at all on any of the 5th wheels I have towed one a 12,000 lb and the other a 10,000 lb.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Homer S.
I think you made the right decision initially. I've got a short bed, B&W and Companion that has 3 forward-rearward positions. First I set it all the way back to get as much clearance as possible. The ride wasn't that great, it surged over every uneveness in the road. I moved it all the way forward (6") to in front of the axle and it is much better. I can still turn as sharp as I want to, I just pay attention and don't drive blindly.
Homer, is your hitch really centered 6" in front of the axle, or is that a typo? You must have a 20" extended pin box on the fiver. Let me know how long your pin box is and if your fiver is one of those that have an inward-angled front cap, if you know what I mean...Thanks.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by bluebull
Installed mine centered over rear axle. People say in front of axle, people say behind axle. I figured centered would give me the middle of what everyone thought was a good Idea. No problems at all on any of the 5th wheels I have towed one a 12,000 lb and the other a 10,000 lb.
I would have done just what you did if I had known. In a week or two I'm going to test my combination by having a friend sit in the back seat of my truck so he can let me know how close the fiver is coming to the cab during turns. It may turn out I don't have too much to worry about after all.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:16 PM

I have mine centered over the axle on both of my trucks, I pull a 13k 5er,, and have no problems. BUT i have the pullrite superglide hitch, IMHO it is the only hitch to have on a shortbed truck. I never ever have to think about turning, I can jackknife my trailer and never hit the cab... a little more expensive to buy in the first place, but it only takes one mistake to pay for it. On my dodge I dented the tailgate with my old hitch, had it in the back posistion so I could drive around in the city,, went around a corner and dipped the truck, and dented the tailgate

Kevin
Old 06-21-2007, 08:25 PM

Center the hitch over the axle in a diesel pickup. They already have enough weight on the front tires and don't need any more. They eat the front tires fast enough the way it is. IMO