Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Pulling with a slightly modified cummins, and stock 47rh

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling with a slightly modified cummins, and stock 47rh

I have a 94 2500 4x4 cummins with the stock 47rh tranny, but with a transgo shift kit. I have a fuel plate, and just installed a 3K RPM GSK. Before, i had only seen 1300 degrees once while pulling a heavy load in 3rd with the converter locked. Now i can mash it and get 1300 degrees with NO problem what so ever unloaded(it kind of levels off at 1300 though). I usually haul hay, and tractors, and equipment, and stuff in the summer, and i have some questions about how i should pull things. I know how to monitor my egt's, but can you hold them at 1300 degrees pulling for a minute or two, and be fine, or should i try to keep them more around 1200 degrees? Now, im hopefully getting a tranny temp gauge before to long. The way i have been pulling is just basically put it on the matt(with the heavy loads) till i get it to where i want, and then lock the converter in 3rd with the overdrive off and pull like that. Will it hurt my tranny by keeping my foot into it pretty hard while im pulling? I know its fine after i lock the converter, but when im taking off from my uncles place with a big load of hay, there is a huge hill, that you cant get any run at, so i have to leave the converter unlocked and mash it. Is this building to much heat for my tranny, and if it is, is there any way i can avoid it, besides creeping up the hill(i have a very rough time keeping my foot out of it while pulling )? Also, what is about the hottest i should let my tranny temp get to once i get my gauge installed? Im just mainly wanting to make sure i dont melt my tranny or motor while im pulling, and passing those fords . I think it will pull a lot better now that the GSK is in, but im sure my EGT's will be higher, and it will also be harder on my tranny, so im just looking for advice on how to keep from roasting something. Thanks

Eric
Old 09-27-2004, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The more throttle you give it, the more pressure the trans has, so that is good.
You say you have a fuel plate, but don't say which one. All the 12 valves have a fuel plate!!!
Do you know what the line/accumulator pressure is on the trans? This will tell us more.
The more you avoid pulling below 2000 rpm the better the clutch can hold.
Keep the temps below 200 and you should be fine. This is in the pan. It will be considerably hotter on the cooler line comming out of the trans. Front line, and this is the best place to read it.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, its a city diesel brand plate, but i was told by the guy who put it in that its comparable to a #5 tst plate, and it dyno's to show that that is really close to right. Im not sure what the line pressure on the tranny is, but i believe its over stock because the transgo shift kit i have was supposed to raise it some. I dont have any problems keeping it about 2k rpm's, i just dont want to roast my tranny. What about egt's? Thanks

Eric